Technical Stuff > Internet Connections & TV

Family Can\'t Connect

(1/2) > >>

GregW:
Ok, here\'s my dilemma.  Went to Cebu last December and took my new laptop.  Also took an identical one and left it with the family.  The plan is (was) to call them pc to pc using skype.  Free of charge and we can see them on camera to boot.  Now, here my friends, is where my ingenious plan falls apart.  Left money with them to get PLDT DSL.  No, they didn\'t spend it on something else.  It took forever for PLDT to hook them up.  Called them on regular phone and we were starting to make progress.  Until....   For the last month or longer they cannot connect to the net.  PLDT says \"It\'s not our equipment\".   I have been trying to solve this problem over the phone.  Had them reset the modem.  Unplug the ethernet from pc, turn power switch off on modem and unplug from wall outlet.  Turn off pc.   Wait two minutes.  Plug in modem and power up.  Wait two more minutes (they said all the lights were on) and then plug into pc.  Power up laptop.  Still, nothing.  Very frustrating as I can not see what is actually going on and also having to translate through my asawa. 

Anybody got any ideas?

Steve & Myrlita:

--- Quote from: GregW on May 10, 2008, 10:36:03 AM ---Ok, here\'s my dilemma.  Went to Cebu last December and took my new laptop.  Also took an identical one and left it with the family.  The plan is (was) to call them pc to pc using skype.  Free of charge and we can see them on camera to boot.  Now, here my friends, is where my ingenious plan falls apart.  Left money with them to get PLDT DSL.  No, they didn\'t spend it on something else.  It took forever for PLDT to hook them up.  Called them on regular phone and we were starting to make progress.  Until....   For the last month or longer they cannot connect to the net.  PLDT says \"It\'s not our equipment\".   I have been trying to solve this problem over the phone.  Had them reset the modem.  Unplug the ethernet from pc, turn power switch off on modem and unplug from wall outlet.  Turn off pc.   Wait two minutes.  Plug in modem and power up.  Wait two more minutes (they said all the lights were on) and then plug into pc.  Power up laptop.  Still, nothing.  Very frustrating as I can not see what is actually going on and also having to translate through my asawa. 

Anybody got any ideas?

--- End quote ---
It sounds like you did everything right. You may however want to verify that the ethernet in the laptop is working and active. Also you need to make sure the drivers are loaded such as virtual private networking. Then have them go to a blank prompt command screen and type ipconfig /all to see if you have an actual IP address comming through. If you don\'t, it indicates a improperly setup ethernet of defective modem or a problem with PLDT. If it does show, then the modem is either not activated or defective. Also, as silly as this sounds, make sure the cat5 wires aren\'t defective. I have found many customers who had defective cat5 wires. Hope this helps...

:
As it is a laptop, they could take it along to a local internet cafe and try connecting from there. That would prove the fault to either the laptop or the connection.

Colin

:

--- Quote from: Colin on May 10, 2008, 12:41:11 PM ---As it is a laptop, they could take it along to a local internet cafe and try connecting from there. That would prove the fault to either the laptop or the connection.

Colin

--- End quote ---

Colin,

Perfect, simple solution. Try to identify the problem by eliminating one side i.e. the connection. If it works on someone else\'s connection then it is a PLDT problem. If it doesn\'t work then take the laptop to a computer repair shop & get it set up right. Should only set you back a couple of hundred Peso.

GregW:
Thanks everyone.  I\'ll try your suggestions. 

Sheesh, I shoulda\' offered a reward for the best reply.  A free six pack of Red Horse.  Shoot, Rufus would have jumped on a plane and gone to the RP and fixed it in person for that.   ;D ;D ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version