Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Tax and other Government Problems  (Read 8638 times)

Offline Palawan Aussie

• Sr Member
Tax and other Government Problems
« on: October 28, 2013, 08:09:38 PM »
Sometimes one can't help feeling somewhat sad regarding the multiplicity and sheer enormity of the tasks that any Philippine Administration faces.

Sure, their current President is fairly obviously the best President they have ever had, by far.

If nothing else, President Aquino's record popularity and trust ratings on numerous polls part way through his second term in office amply demonstrate that the general public believe he's making a difference. He's trusted, and that's essential in making needed changes.

And we who love this country would simply and sincerely wish him well in this work.

But, the problems he faces are still simply enormous. For example, consider the Administration's situation regarding the many problems illegal aliens face, as alluded to at http://globalnation.inquirer.net/88709/immigration-drive-against-illegal-aliens-starts  and as further considered by we here ..

Go into any bar where foreigners are customers and see if any foreigners are working there.  Most of them won’t have the proper visa and/or work permit. Go to any open air market and look for any foreigner selling anything. Look for any foreigner lending money.  Most don’t have the proper visa. Look for any foreigner working in a low paying job.  Most likely they don’t have the proper visa that allows them to work.

Another of his problems is tax avoidance.

In a recent speech to the Federation of Filipino-Chinese Chambers of Commerce this year, the media note that ..

In his speech, President Aquino expressed shock upon learning earlier from the BIR that only 105 of the FFCCCII’s 207 member firms and organizations had tax identification numbers (TINs).

“I wonder what happened to the others,” the President said. “Of these 105 firms, only 54 filed tax returns. To make matters worse, 38 firms and organizations actually filed returns with zero tax due. That means that only 16 of the 207—or only around eight percent—of your member organizations paid taxes. The country's 6.6 percent economic growth rate did not seem to affect your members.”

“Also, of the FFCCCII’s 552 individual members, only 424 of you have TINs. Of that number, only 185 filed income tax returns," Aquino noted.

“Of those that filed tax returns, only 14 filed returns with zero tax due,” he said. “What this means is 354 out of 552 members—or 64 percent of you—did not pay taxes for the same reasons: No TIN, no tax due or nothing filed at all.”

“In fact, of those who filed and paid income tax, many paid less than P100,000,” an incredulous Aquino said. “There were some who paid less than P1,000 in taxes,” he added.

Ref: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/378881/filipino-chinese-vow-to-toe-line-on-taxes

And this week, in the media we hear that ...

"No Filipino has ever been sent to jail for evading taxes.

While at least one tax evader has been convicted with finality by the courts (that person is now a fugitive), no one has spent time behind bars for this crime that robs the country of much-needed resources for critical social services and easing poverty.

The BIR continues to file cases fortnightly — as ordered by Mr. Aquino when he placed Henares at the BIR’s helm — against suspected tax dodgers, both big and small, whether high-profile individuals or not.

“But we have yet to send someone to jail,” Henares said, in a tone of steely conviction that betrays just a hint of frustration.

Ref: http://business.inquirer.net/149529/kim-henares-we-have-yet-to-send-one-to-jail

Sigh. One can only hope and pray that the excellent work this President has begun somehow continues and grows over the years.

Now that the people are finally experiencing a generally consistent and effective attempt at good government and “tuwid na daan” (straight path) democracy, they will come to expect this in future.  And I like to believe they will. Surely there is no going back.

This is a truly wonderful country in so many ways, and the people deserve our faith in them, and in their simple wish for good government. After so long, they truly deserve honest self-determination.

Cheers,
Stephen
and Mary

Offline Anrebginer

Re: Tax and other Government Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 05:27:25 PM »
The problem in itself IS the government. The Philippines is filled with crooked politicians that simply cater their agendas to what is good for them as individuals, on top of that, they also get money from these so called projects. In a country where popularity is seen as credibility by the majority, it will be difficult to fix, especially by 1 person, what has already been established in this country.

If you ask me, the country needs another Marcos. Firm, no bullshit, straight up justice is served agenda. One of the main reasons why customer service is non-existent in this country. You get wronged, the legal system takes forever, and on top of that, the multibillion peso companies, PAYS these corrupt politicians and then bam. The right person looses for the worst reason.

It needs complete overhaul. And it will take the entire country to get together and fix this. Not the government.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 01:27:37 AM »
While I agree that the elitist government is a large part of the problem, another Marcos would send the Philippines even farther back into the jungle, possibly even to the point of total collapse. 

The 40 or so families who actually run the Philippines are the real problem.  They run the politicians, or become one themselves, as is evident with the current administration, including Congressmen, Senators and Governors.  Unfortunately even if there is a revolution, it will take several generations to clean up.  JMHO  YMMV
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 03:18:22 AM »
Jack, I really cant agree with you on the Marcos deal, yes he was a dictator, yes he was corrupt, but he built most of the roads, hospitals and schools here, and as you know there has not been an administration since that even kept them up....still corrupt, still buying votes, still crooks..but do nothing for the infrastructure here...I guess its a choice between bad and worst...
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 04:37:07 AM »
Jack, I really cant agree with you on the Marcos deal, yes he was a dictator, yes he was corrupt, but he built most of the roads, hospitals and schools here, and as you know there has not been an administration since that even kept them up....still corrupt, still buying votes, still crooks..but do nothing for the infrastructure here...I guess its a choice between bad and worst...

It's not something we need to disagree on.  It was simply my humble opinion. 

Come to think of it, Joseph Estrada was convicted of plunder and/or corruption and the people of Manila elected him Mayor.  Go figure.  Maybe the problem isn't corrupt politicians, but corrupt voters.  Hmmm, sounds familiar doesn't it?     

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 08:29:15 AM »
I`m not sure if the voters are corrupt Jack!! Its just about the only time that the poor electorate can ever benefit from a politician here is at election time!!
Marcos did a lot of work during his first term in regards infrastructure..Of that,there is little doubt.
His next few terms concentrated on sequestering just about every successfully privately owned business and cooperation that took his fancy.. Once he had installed his cronies to manage these organisations its not hard to see just how powerful a force he was here. 
Corruption was Marcos`s best friend..He grew it like a biologist grows bacteria in a lab.

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 08:56:27 AM »

1) Marcos could be considered a good leader of the Phl in his early years in power but not in his later years.

2) Look at the population of the Phl in Marcos' time versus now.  That can explain a lot about why government spending on infrastructure, etc. hasn't kept pace.

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 03:34:02 PM »
Perhaps someone could educate me here. I thought that during the Marcos era he was the recipient of large amounts of aid from the USA, and helped himself liberally to it, whilst admittedly spending some of it on infrastructure and good works.

I know that after WW2 the Philippines was one of the wealthier countries in SE Asia, and the affects of successive governments show just how badly it has been run since then. The people deserve more but the 'families' who rule the country, in whatever guise, have a lot to answer for.

If President Aquino can be so jolly popular just by basically sitting on his hands during his presidencey I despair of there ever being any meaningful progress in dragging the country from it's present position.
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 04:11:07 PM »
On the tax and collecting thing...
there are 3 barangays here in Catarman where there are no deeds or tax papers for any of the properties in them.  Been like this for as long as anyone can remember.  Even before WWII.  Crazy.  This are properties(lots/homes) that have not paid a piso in tax ever.  People live there.  People buy and sell homes/lots/properties there, but never taxed because there are no deeds or tax papers.  LOL

One of barangays had a family sue for ownership of it, of course they lost till they got to a high level fed court, where they had a cousin as a sitting judge, then they won and were awarded the barangay.  Then people in the barangay showed where the "papers" they had were for a place of same name, but in laguna province, not Northern Samar.  LOL  So everyone still lives where they always have, the government/security is doing nothing to help this family and life goes on. 

The government still gets no money in taxes on these prime properties. 

There is so much blame to go around, but I feel it's the people more than anything.  They don't want to be forced into action.  They are, as a whole, lazy.  They want to be tax free.  They want to be left alone to do as they want.  And as long as the government allows, then they don't care what the politicians do.  This time that I live here, I have no work to take my time and spend more time talking to the locals, and am really starting to see how lazy, as a nation, the people are here.  Sure, there are some go getters, but many just want to have their lazy job, in their lazy town, and go to their lazy church, and just be lazy.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 10:49:28 PM »

I`m not sure if the voters are corrupt Jack!! Its just about the only time that the poor electorate can ever benefit from a politician here is at election time!!

When they allow their votes to be bought for a few pisos, that is corruption my friend.
It makes them enablers, which is as bad as the political corruption itself.  Just my dalawang centavos.

Offline itsmalineA

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 10:36:24 AM »
People sell their votes to politicians who makes good promises during campaign.Politicians are best actors and actresses that's why its so easy for them to deceive poor people who hopes  to live a life they imagine would be if they vote for this person.They tell people they'll give them free good education,job and other source of income but after they finally got into position they'll forget those people waiting for those broken words.When they give money during elections,they dont directly say," here take this,vote for me",but they send people  giveng house to house secretly as "thank you?!" So those innocent people would surely take the money without thinking what's the price behind it.I've seen that style since I was a kid and until now.It's because the public is usually unaware of whats happening or some just don't care as long as they survive from day to day.Sad fact but its true,I've been there.It will take a big MIRACLE to change the government,those corrupt people and the citizens itself.

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 03:20:47 PM »
In the village we used to live, the Barangay Chairman did a reasonable job. he was able to get the roads repaired, had a new basketball court erected, and even arranged for a few medical missions. Not all, but most said he was doing a decent job compared to Chairman's of the past. The day before the election a truck was making the rounds through the village. People were being given five kilos of rice, or a bottle of Emperator lite to vote for his opponent. Fortunately he was reelected, but by only 12 votes, when he expected it to be by a couple of hundred. The first thing he said to me when I saw him next- 'Can you believe it?' 'Yes,' I said, 'I witnessed it.' He swore next election his truck would be making the rounds the night before.

Sad and no one sees anything wrong with it.
Here for good,
Stephen

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. Theodore Roosevelt

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 03:52:46 PM »
It is sad, I have a best friend here, we are truly like real brothers...he's well educated, works hard, has a great business and we take road trips together.  On one of the trips we were talking about this subject and I'll never forget his response, " Its always been that way, it will never change"  If a guy like him thinks this way, there is no changing it...maybe we should just say take the money and vote for who you think will do the best job.  The only problem with that is the Barangay Chairman knows who voted what way...so much for secret voting..
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:39:48 PM by Gray Wolf »

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 06:07:10 PM »

Great work. But he created a monster of corruption that left the country as it is today and will take a generation or two to overcome. He was the direct cause of todays problems. I would challenge anyone to name one dictator in the history of mankind who left a country more financially secure than when they started. And I will not accept Generalissimo Franco either.

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 07:22:14 PM »
James, well its only been 28 years, so I guess we have another 20 to go...