Getting Prepared For The Philippines > Motorcycles

First Scooter

<< < (3/4) > >>

Peter:

--- Quote from: David690 on January 23, 2019, 06:56:08 PM ---Thanks Peter for the encouragement and the shout out for Ducati.  I've never had an Italian bike.  I've had Brit bikes, Japanese bikes and American, including 3 Harley Davidsons.  I sold my last Harley last year before retiring here, as the cost to import it with taxes, duties etc., was just crazy.
I'm not a speed freak, so when I say pulling away from traffic at the lights, I mean just that, being in front of the pursuing pack rather than being a part of it.  Fastest I've ridden was on a Honda VFR750 at 150mph, but no aspirations to try to top that.  The idea behind the Ducati Scrambler, is that roads here are generally speaking not great so not ideal for super sports bikes, and at the same time there is a lot of scope for some off road riding.
PS don't anyone tell the wife............

--- End quote ---

My last bike was a '80 Yamaha 11. Broke my heart to sell it when we retired here, but as you say, the import taxes and duties would have been horrendous. Couldn't justify the expense. Or still have the strength and muscle power to take it into and out of corners. LOL!

I did make a few bawbees on the sale, as it is a "Classic" and I had the only one in Oman. Only 5 in the Gulf as far as I knew at the time. When I used to take for the Police yearly inspection, some of the the traffic policemen would come across and ask for if they could have a 'clutch' around the yard. Made a few useful friends there.  ;) ;)

The only thing I would have reservations of; do Ducati have an after sales servicing shop in your area? That would apply to any "exotic" bike here. Living away from the usual suspects, Manila/Cebu, may be a problem with back up.

Saying that, I would still prefer the Ducati. Are you looking at the new 1100 cc model? The 1960's Scramblers were either 250 or 350 cc.

Peter

David690:
When I said I hadnít had an Italian bike, I was forgetting the 2 Vespa scooters I had in my youth, not sure if they count 😬
Yes there is a Ducati dealership here in Davao so no problems there.
The Scrambler Iím interested in is the 2019 model, Icon with 803cc engine.
The 1100 Scrambler is very nice but almost double the price!!

Peter:

--- Quote from: David690 on January 24, 2019, 02:16:48 PM ---When I said I hadnít had an Italian bike, I was forgetting the 2 Vespa scooters I had in my youth, not sure if they count 😬
Yes there is a Ducati dealership here in Davao so no problems there.
The Scrambler Iím interested in is the 2019 model, Icon with 803cc engine.
The 1100 Scrambler is very nice but almost double the price!!

--- End quote ---

Vespas (and Lambrettas) I suppose could be classed as bikes as they were 150 or 200 cc, if I remember correctly. But never if you were a "Rocker" in the UK in the 60's, then you hated the "Mods" who ponced around on scooters. Not that I ever would admit to being one or the other, although I did have the leathers, not the pretty boy outfit. LOL!

My advice, and it's worth what you paid for it  :D, GO FOR IT!

Happy riding whatever you get. Oh yes. Safe as well - unless you're 17 again.

Being young is wasted on the youth. LOL!

Peter

David690:

--- Quote from: Peter on January 24, 2019, 02:39:06 PM ---Vespas (and Lambrettas) I suppose could be classed as bikes as they were 150 or 200 cc, if I remember correctly. But never if you were a "Rocker" in the UK in the 60's, then you hated the "Mods" who ponced around on scooters. Not that I ever would admit to being one or the other, although I did have the leathers, not the pretty boy outfit. LOL!

My advice, and it's worth what you paid for it  :D, GO FOR IT!

Happy riding whatever you get. Oh yes. Safe as well - unless you're 17 again.

Being young is wasted on the youth. LOL!

Peter

--- End quote ---

Well having admitted to owning two Vespa scooters and living in Brighton in the 60's, I guess you can fathom that I was indeed a Mod hahaha.  It was all about style then rather than riding performance and the Italian flair showed in our scooters and our clothes.

Cheers Peter  :)

Peter:

--- Quote from: David690 on January 24, 2019, 02:59:22 PM ---Well having admitted to owning two Vespa scooters and living in Brighton in the 60's, I guess you can fathom that I was indeed a Mod hahaha.  It was all about style then rather than riding performance and the Italian flair showed in our scooters and our clothes.

Cheers Peter  :)

--- End quote ---

Ouch!  :) :) :) I suppose living in Brighton then, you would have seen the "coming togethers" at first hand. I was in Harrogate, so the only weekends off we went to the pub and drank with the local Mods. Not enough time to get physical.  ;)

I did like the The Who and the Small Faces though, but Gene Vincent was more my style guru, along with my BSA Bantam. Did I just admit to having a Beezer?

Peter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version