It’s Your Money > Starting and Running a Business

Starting a business in the Philippines

(1/3) > >>

farm kid:
my fiancé  wants me to come to the Philippines, marry her then we start a business there. How practical is this? How hard would this be ? I have a great job here in the US. Would our future be better if she comes here to the US?

conchydong:
I'll throw in my $.02 and say your future would be better in the US while you are at normal working age, especially if you have a good job. Once you reach the point of retirement than you can make a educated decision depending on your lifestyle. From the little I know, starting a business in the PI will not be easy. Lots of palms to grease.

JoeLP:
There are a lot of things that need to be considered when starting a business.  What type?  Where in the Phils?  Are the security workers(police) in the area good?

If you're looking at farm style business, grease the palms of the security to do checks throughout the night.  If it's just a sari sari(usually not big money makers unless you can last.  the longer you last and keep things stocked, the better your business will be.

If it's another store, say in a mall or something, again, need a lot of startup to last and build the name.  Also, most likely going to need to grease some other palms to get it started.

There is one way around this, and I am very lucky to be in this category, but, seeing youfound your girl, chances are it won't work for you.  Find a girl with a big family name and support in the government.  My Tina's family is very well connected in the government and security force.  So we really get away with not needed to grease any palms and really get things set for us.  There are things happening now that could only happen with a LOT of greasing of palms or connections in the gov like Tina has.  I won't go into detail now about it, but as soon as everything works out, I can go into some detail on it then.

Basically, it will be more work to start a business here, but, if you can make it last, then you could be set to make some money.

Lee2:

--- Quote from: farm kid on November 19, 2015, 04:52:50 AM ---my fiancé  wants me to come to the Philippines, marry her then we start a business there. How practical is this? How hard would this be ? I have a great job here in the US. Would our future be better if she comes here to the US?

--- End quote ---

First of all welcome to our friendly group.
Next, to answer your question, without knowing a lot more about you and your situation, it would be hard to answer, do you have experience in the Philippines, do you have a large amount of money saved up, are you of retirement age where you will have a pension and social security and so on and so on, so first you might wish to start a topic telling us a little about you in the meet your neighbor section http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?board=35.0 and then our members could try to give you a better answer.

If you have little experience in the Philippines, then I would definitely answer no to your questions. The is an old joke in the Philippines which is very true, How do you make a million pesos, you start out with 5 million. Plenty of our members and people I have met have tried and some have succeeded but most I have read of have failed or barely made a living.

So if you will not have a pension and SS, then I would tell you to bring her to the US at least until you will and then access your situation based on the current facts at that time.

Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am:
farm kid,
First of all, welcome to the group. OK, she wants you to come to the Philippines, marry her and then start a business? Looks like she is already pulling your strings and deciding what you should you do, which that in itself throws up a red flag already!
It's best that you tell us more about yourself so we can address and give you good sound advice of your concerns and or future endeavors. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version