Contributions By Members > Southern Philippines MINDANAO

Cost of living in Davao city

(1/2) > >>

kirk:
For anyone living there are who has ideas

What does one need to live in the Philippines in a place like Davao City.† I am 51; my house should sell in the next 5 years and I will have about $15,000 a year to spend for the next 30 years.† I know this depends on standard of living, but I am a simple guy.† I like to cook.† Restaurants or fine but nothing I depend on.† I am tired of the rat race here.† I love the Philippines; Iíve been there four times and it is a great place.† Just wondering about the cost, that seemed love to me, to live there.

p.s.† I have a wife and daughter.

:

--- Quote from: kirk on February 10, 2008, 04:37:01 AM ---What does one need to live in the Philippines in a place like Davao City.† I am 51; my house should sell in the next 5 years and I will have about $15,000 a year to spend for the next 30 years.† I know this depends on standard of living, but I am a simple guy.† I like to cook.† Restaurants or fine but nothing I depend on.† I am tired of the rat race here.† I love the Philippines; I\'ve been there four times and it is a great place.† Just wondering about the cost, that seemed love to me, to live there.

--- End quote ---

We see this question often. Much can happen in the next 5 years to make any speculation invalid. You know of course that no one knows just how simple, simple means to you.† There is a variance in cost of living city to country, island to island, Provence to Provence, but we can still talk about generalities.† We say that US$1,000/mo is a sufficient income for a simple life in the RP.† We can also say that the cost of living can be 1/3rd to 1/5th of your costs in the US for a simple life.† Will you add to your cost of living a wife and daughter?† What kind of school do you wish for your daughter if she\'s still of school age?† Your cost of living could escalate dramatically if you need some western amenities such as airconditioning, hot water, imported foods and internet.† I think you can live a good simple life in the RP on your US$1,250/mo.† I hope this gets you started!

Rick B:
Kirk

We are the same age, and i made the break away, for the same rat race reason as you state, the question of how much money do i need was very much in my mind, but i have only been here for 4 weeks and am not sure....but it is a vital question, hope i have it right, but can not answer definitively as its down to lifestyle, i guess you can make it suit to fit and at the moment 1500 would seem to be a good budget but who can tell in a few years time, not me.............be brave

kirk:
thanks for the input.† I know things vary, but I was just wondering.† I can extend time to retirement and every year after 55 would mean about another $3000 a year.† I want to move there, my wife who is Filipino seemed to want to also as part of a plan but I am beginning to think she wants to stay in the USA.† When her daughter was there I paid about $500 a year for private school which was no big deal.† (Gave her $700 a month to live on)

michael16136:

--- Quote from: kirk on February 10, 2008, 04:37:01 AM ---For anyone living there are who has ideas

What does one need to live in the Philippines in a place like Davao City.† I am 51; my house should sell in the next 5 years and I will have about $15,000 a year to spend for the next 30 years.† I know this depends on standard of living, but I am a simple guy.† I like to cook.† Restaurants or fine but nothing I depend on.† I am tired of the rat race here.† I love the Philippines; Iíve been there four times and it is a great place.† Just wondering about the cost, that seemed love to me, to live there.

--- End quote ---

As others have said, things may change over the next five years (the peso could go up or down, inflation may increase or decrease) and not everyone\'s definition of \"simple\" is the same. In today\'s market, I would say that for $15,000 you would be marginally okay, especially if you live in one of the outlying areas around Toril (The Dacoville subdivision for example) or out even further toward Buda. Even more toward the center of town, around Ecoland, you can get a place for about $200 a month. If you eat the local produce (fruits and veggies) and the local chicken, and you stay away from imported beef and canned goods, your food bills can be quite reasonable. If you have no need of a car, and if you can get by with jeepneys and the occasional taxi, again your transport costs will be reasonable. If you want to eat in local Ihaw-Ihaw places you can get by for very little. So the answer is \"yes,\" you can live here for $1,200-$1,500 a month if you\'re fairly frugal. Having said that, you won\'t (in my opinion only) have a lot left over to cope with whatever emergencies you might encounter that require larger outlays of cash.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version