Contributions By Members > Southern Philippines MINDANAO

Hanjin abandons $2-B Misamis shipyard project

(1/3) > >>

:
Some disturbing news for the region from ABS-CBN

Korean investors from Hanjin Corp. have packed up and are reportedly leaving the $2-B shipyard complex project in Tagoloan and Villanueva in Misamis Oriental because of \"too much politics.\"

Reports received by ABS-CBN Northern Mindanao said the Koreans are no longer interested in pursuing the billion dollar project because of politicking in the local government level.

They also complained that they officials earlier assured them of being given an environmental compliance certificate (ECC). However, the Koreans were later denied the ECC.

Officials tasked of issuing the ECC declined to explain.

Hanjin officials have declined to grant media interviews for fear of reprisal from government officials.

Some of the Koreans have already left for Manila for the flight to South Korea on Monday.

Hanjin started to clear the 400-hectare land in Villanueva and Tagoloan towns for the shipbuilding starting February this year. They started training hundreds of welders since March. Hanjin needs 40,000 skilled workers to build huge and modern ocean vessels.

Following the withdrawal of Hanjin, hundreds of skilled workers who are hoping to land jobs are now fearing for their future.

Another multi-billion project in the province -- the Laguindingan International Airport -- might be affected by the Koreans\' withdrawal.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/storyPage.aspx?storyId=116619

stillbilly2002:
 :( shot themselves in the foot again...if nothing changes nothing changes ...............
......... im the same way now .......here its the same ...nobody trusts anything  tower of babel
    everyone in  their own  world .ill take care of the people around me .........................
  like Geronimo im just waiting for the change ......same at work nobody listens  their treated like slaves .non union slaves so dont give a damn about themselves or america.............like Geronimo
 siad we are reaping the karma of all our greed..................crab mentality for sure  deba?
 billy2002 with that bright note .every where around us  gloom and doom.........................
   everything a crisis..........im so full of the world convoluted buullshit ..........
   now smile like the Asians,............it all does not mean a thing ...nothing is forever...........
   controlled folly...don juan..goood day till tomorrows vail of tears.billy2002

Beatle:

--- Quote from: UZI on April 30, 2008, 10:57:29 AM ---Some disturbing news for the region from ABS-CBN

Korean investors from Hanjin Corp. have packed up and are reportedly leaving the $2-B shipyard complex project in Tagoloan and Villanueva in Misamis Oriental because of \"too much politics.\"

Reports received by ABS-CBN Northern Mindanao said the Koreans are no longer interested in pursuing the billion dollar project because of politicking in the local government level.

They also complained that they officials earlier assured them of being given an environmental compliance certificate (ECC). However, the Koreans were later denied the ECC.

Officials tasked of issuing the ECC declined to explain.

Hanjin officials have declined to grant media interviews for fear of reprisal from government officials.

Some of the Koreans have already left for Manila for the flight to South Korea on Monday.

Hanjin started to clear the 400-hectare land in Villanueva and Tagoloan towns for the shipbuilding starting February this year. They started training hundreds of welders since March. Hanjin needs 40,000 skilled workers to build huge and modern ocean vessels.

Following the withdrawal of Hanjin, hundreds of skilled workers who are hoping to land jobs are now fearing for their future.

Another multi-billion project in the province -- the Laguindingan International Airport -- might be affected by the Koreans\' withdrawal.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/storyPage.aspx?storyId=116619

--- End quote ---

After reading this post its hard to say something without breaking the rules of not saying something derogatory about our Filipino friends. And shot themselves in the foot doesn\'t even begin to get close to what they did to themselves.
          Has anyone heard of the expression \"millionare for a day mentality\" ?  I will try to explain for those of you who do not know what it is and if someone can explain it better please do.
           Take for example a you have a yaya in your home and she is making P1230 a month, now one day while you and your whole family is out running errands and she is home alone she decides to
go through your perosnal belongings and finds were you keep some extra money. what she finds is about P2500. Now the thought going through her mind is \"man this is two months wirth of wages I could throw a party, give all my friends a good and I would be looked up to. So she decides to take it. You come home and a day later discover your money is missing and you confront her of coarse her denys it but you she did take it because she was the only one there, so you fire her.
           Heres the \" millionare for a day\".  She thought that having the extra money all at one time without earning it would be better than working for it month after month after month until who knows when, even though she did not think she would get caught. So, in her eyes see would rather have much at once and than nothing instead of having a constant income for a long time.
          Now I know some of you are saying what does this have to do with HanJin or the government officals?  Well just from knowing as many Filipinos as I do (well over a hunred) I can see it already, some offical saw how much Hanjan was investing and thought this was going to be easy to get a little of that money and put it in his pocket, so he said they couldn\'t have the certificate they needed unless they greased someone palms and Hanjin wasn\'t stupid because they knew if they did once they would have to do it a hundred times and they amount would get higher and higher.
heres the \"millionare for a day\" again, except it backfired.

Ray

Gray Wolf:

--- Quote from: stillbilly2002 on April 30, 2008, 11:16:49 PM --- :( shot themselves in the foot again...if nothing changes nothing changes ...............
......... im the same way now .......here its the same ...nobody trusts anything  tower of babel
    everyone in  their own  world .ill take care of the people around me .........................
  like Geronimo im just waiting for the change ......same at work nobody listens  their treated like slaves .non union slaves so dont give a damn about themselves or america.............like Geronimo
 siad we are reaping the karma of all our greed..................crab mentality for sure  deba?
 billy2002 with that bright note .every where around us  gloom and doom.........................
   everything a crisis..........im so full of the world convoluted buullshit ..........
   now smile like the Asians,............it all does not mean a thing ...nothing is forever...........
   controlled folly...don juan..goood day till tomorrows vail of tears.billy2002

--- End quote ---

\"tower of babel?\"  \"Geronimo\" and \"karma\" in the same sentence? \".im so full of the world convoluted buullshit?\" 

Billy, break the pills in half.  You\'re over medicating.    ::) ::) 

coutts00:
I think the problem is that the Koreans are not Chinese, it seems the Chinese get anything they want from GMA, but if your Korean its a different story. Look at the problems they are facing with a similar business in Subic, all sorts of problems with safety that they can\'t gloss over. And the Filipino\'s are not letting it slide as men are dying....

Wayne

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version