Contributions By Members > Living Costs in different areas, cities, provinces

Guess My Electric Bill will Go Up

<< < (5/5)

JoeLP:

--- Quote from: Big daddy Ray on March 29, 2016, 03:45:44 PM ---I had an LG split inverter type A/C put in....haven't used it at all...sleep with the use a fan most of the time...must be getting used to the hot weather...hahaha!

--- End quote ---
This.  It's crazy.  My parents had AC since before I was born.  All window units till I was a senior in high school and they got their first central eat/air house setup.  When I moved here, I swore I would use nothing but AC night and day.  But, like you, I'm sitting in my room with a stand fan blowing around the room. There is a second one on my 2 year olds crib as, like his daddy, he needs the fan and cooler temps on his skin or he gets quite fussy.  But, that is all I need now.
I do think a part of this is the fact that i moved here full time right away and have not left for any extended stays elsewhere.  So my body, over 4 years has become use to the local climate.  So for over a year now I just use a fan at night.  And some nights are still pretty hot and the AC is turned on.  And during the days it's own all the time. 

BudM:

--- Quote from: JoeLP on March 25, 2018, 01:46:36 AM ---This.  It's crazy.  My parents had AC since before I was born.  All window units till I was a senior in high school and they got their first central eat/air house setup.  When I moved here, I swore I would use nothing but AC night and day.  But, like you, I'm sitting in my room with a stand fan blowing around the room. There is a second one on my 2 year olds crib as, like his daddy, he needs the fan and cooler temps on his skin or he gets quite fussy.  But, that is all I need now.
I do think a part of this is the fact that i moved here full time right away and have not left for any extended stays elsewhere.  So my body, over 4 years has become use to the local climate.  So for over a year now I just use a fan at night.  And some nights are still pretty hot and the AC is turned on.  And during the days it's own all the time.

--- End quote ---

I grew up in NY without air conditioning.  First I knew it existed was when I moved to Florida.  I have lived by central air conditioning since then.  Except here.  The house is well ventilated and I do not need aircon all time.  A couple of fans downstairs usually suffices all day except in late April, May, and most of June.  Then it is only sporadic that the downstairs air is needed.  Upstairs is a different story.  We keep it cool even a lot during the not so hot months even most of the day is spent downstairs.  It does not matter all that much cost wise except that if I don't run it up there more, it can be miserable.  When I lived in a condo the first year, I noticed how miserable it was if I did not run the air.  The thing was nothing but an oven and it was not even the top floor.  I had bills electric bills higher than I ever had in the US.  In the house, they run about the same if not a little cheaper.  Another thing is, to me, during the daytime it was hotter in Florida during the summer than it is here.  And the humidity was bad too.   The difference was that at least at night time in Florida, the heat would break a little and give things a chance for the temp to come down plus there would be the yearly break of temperatures and feel real good in the off summer months.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version