Itís Your Money > Securing Your Family's Financial Future

Our Future Plans

(1/7) > >>

aerosick:
While growing up I remember how excited I was when the weekend arrived and I didn\'t have school. We would roam the countryside exploring, playing with neighborhood kids, just having fun. When it got close to dark, we would listen for our mom or dad to honk the car horn which told us to get home within 15 minutes. When we heard 2 honks, we\'d better be less than 5 minutes from our country home. 3 honks and we were in deep do-do!† :\'(

My wife Eda\'s memories of weekends were of getting up very early and going with her family to the market where she would get \"parked\" and try to sell the small bars of soaps, small bags of asine (salt) or whatever her parents had bought that week for resell. She grew up poor and vividly remembers going to bed hungry many times. Now Eda is very careful with her purchases and is a real bargain hunter.

If I am gone from this world before her, we have set up not only her future monthly income, we also have purchased properties in both the USA and in the Philippines. Hopefully between these two countries she will stay comfortable in her declining years.

As I\'m 25 years older than her, the odds are high that this is the way it will work out. But right now we are battling an early stage of cancer found in Eda this year. Eda is fatalistic and now thinks that I will outlive her!† :o

Things happen to you and yours in the middle of your \"written in stone\" future planning. We try to stay flexible and stay open for what comes along.

As they say in the USA Midwest: \"who knows which way the wind blows when it snows\"...

Billy

paulgee:
Billy, I hope all goes well for Eda in the future, it is indeed an irony that we all think our wives will outlive us. My wife is 24 years younger than me and I feel that way, though she is less certain.

Only recently married, my wife will at least have half of one pension I have recently started taking. Our future plans involve purchasing/building a property in the Philippines, but that is all in the future at the moment.

However, I do think it important to have something in place for ones wife, and it should not be too difficult to achieve at a basic level for most of us. After all a little money goes a long way for a Filipina in her own country, so a small income will give her (and probably some of her family members)† a decent standard of living.

One thing I am uncertain of is how a lump sum could be invested in the Philippines to return a decent interest rate, is that possible, and risk free for her to achieve ?

Paul

aerosick:

--- Quote from: paulgee on December 31, 2009, 10:07:52 PM ---Billy, I hope all goes well for Eda in the future, it is indeed an irony that we all think our wives will outlive us. My wife is 24 years younger than me and I feel that way, though she is less certain.

Only recently married, my wife will at least have half of one pension I have recently started taking. Our future plans involve purchasing/building a property in the Philippines, but that is all in the future at the moment.

However, I do think it important to have something in place for ones wife, and it should not be too difficult to achieve at a basic level for most of us. After all a little money goes a long way for a Filipina in her own country, so a small income will give her (and probably some of her family members)† a decent standard of living.

One thing I am uncertain of is how a lump sum could be invested in the Philippines to return a decent interest rate, is that possible, and risk free for her to achieve ?

Paul

--- End quote ---

Paul,

Thanks for the thoughts. Eda is still keeping this pretty quiet and I know that early stage detection will go in her favor.

We have a choice of a lump sum distribution here in the USA but won\'t take it due to taxes. Instead we will spread this out over 5+ years. Hopefully others will comment on this option.

Eda grew up poor and will be able to take care of herself and provide food as she learned when growing up. Owning property is a big comfort to her when she talks about what the future has in store for her.

Billy

Lee2:
Billy I am truly sorry to hear of this and I am glad to hear that they caught it early on and therefore will surely cure it. Please tell Edna to think only positive thoughts because IMO the body has a way of healing itself and I am a firm believer that positive will wipe out any negative.

As you know, I am 20 years older than my wife as well so I too have tried to make sure she will be taken care of since she too grew up very poor and I never want her to have to go back to that way of life. Since my wife seems to be as healthy as possible and never even catches a cold when I have one because I started her early on with vitamins and such, I feel she will outlive me with all my medical issues and because of that she has made life a little easier on me by her wish to move back to the Philippines to live once I am gone which sort of makes it easier to plan for her future since costs in the US can be quite high on most things and there would probably never be enough money. I guess that even the best plans might go astray but we are moving in that direction and I feel that my wife should be OK because she is a lot smarter than I am. I am sure Edna will also be OK and ourlive us both.

Billy my friend, God bless and may 2010 bring you all the best things life has to offer and all your positive wishes which no doubt include Edna\'s not only beating this thing but going on to outlive us all.†

Steve & Myrlita:

--- Quote from: aerosick on December 31, 2009, 08:48:21 PM ---While growing up I remember how excited I was when the weekend arrived and I didn\'t have school. We would roam the countryside exploring, playing with neighborhood kids, just having fun. When it got close to dark, we would listen for our mom or dad to honk the car horn which told us to get home within 15 minutes. When we heard 2 honks, we\'d better be less than 5 minutes from our country home. 3 honks and we were in deep do-do!† :\'(

My wife Eda\'s memories of weekends were of getting up very early and going with her family to the market where she would get \"parked\" and try to sell the small bars of soaps, small bags of asine (salt) or whatever her parents had bought that week for resell. She grew up poor and vividly remembers going to bed hungry many times. Now Eda is very careful with her purchases and is a real bargain hunter.

If I am gone from this world before her, we have set up not only her future monthly income, we also have purchased properties in both the USA and in the Philippines. Hopefully between these two countries she will stay comfortable in her declining years.

As I\'m 25 years older than her, the odds are high that this is the way it will work out. But right now we are battling an early stage of cancer found in Eda this year. Eda is fatalistic and now thinks that I will outlive her!† :o

Things happen to you and yours in the middle of your \"written in stone\" future planning. We try to stay flexible and stay open for what comes along.

As they say in the USA Midwest: \"who knows which way the wind blows when it snows\"...

Billy

--- End quote ---
Billy,
So sorry to hear this. May God heal Edna to full health and vigor.
God Bless.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version