Itís Your Money > Building in the Philippines

Passive Cooling

<< < (2/8) > >>

paulgee:
Our house was built in our absence, with only family there to check things out. So we had no chance to do anything more about insulation etc. When we are there full time I hope that we can do something retrospectively to vent the roof space, or cover the ceiling there with insulation.

As I remember it the ceiling structure was composed of  thin metal struts, as picture below. I am not sure one could crawl round the loft space supported by them!

Paul

Tally J:
The builder is currently installing the furring strips to hold the gypsum board for the ceiling in the house I am having constructed.  I am trying to get them to install insulation while this is being done as the ceiling supports are certainly not strong enough to support my "excess" weight.  I am still running into resistance "as this is not the way it is done here" not to mention having a hard time locating insulation that is at least 3 to 6 inches thick rather than the 3-4 mil they will install.  The insulation will make a significant difference in the inside temperature on the second floor of the house.

I have my brother-in-law trying to track some down for me though.

wildbill:
Tally Colin says they have the thick insulation in CITI hardware but im still looking around no citi here where I live I will posts it if I find any

Tally J:
Thanks Widlbill.

House in the Angeles city area. I Googled CITI but there does not appear to be a location in the Angeles area.  Cannot locate insulation on the Wilcon, Home Depot or Federal web sites so that is why I asked my brother-in-law to see if he could locate some.  Building is hard to do long distance.

I may just have to buy it here in US and then ship it along with my household goods.

Gray Wolf:

--- Quote from: wildbill on May 17, 2013, 07:18:11 PM ---no need to insulate the outer walls of most houses in the philippines because they are made of cement hollow blocks etc... :)

--- End quote ---

Typical hollow blocks act as heat sinks and will retain heat built up during the day well into the evening hours.  I know of several people who have added sheets of foam insulation to the interior walls to reflect that heat away from the interior.  Some have even used foam insulation on the outside of the walls to prevent the heat from building up in the first place. 

Colin, and others, used thick foam panels in construction in lieu of concrete walls.  They were then skim coated with a thin layer of concrete to add solidity to the walls.

"It's not done here" is a typical response given by builders in the Philippines.  But keep in mind, these same people think that temperatures in the 70's (20'sC) are "nippy".  Go figure.   ;)

Insulation, both foam and fiberglass, is available in the Philippines.  You just have to do some work to find the proper supplier.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version