Itís Your Money > Money Exchanging

What form of money to bring?

(1/8) > >>

turquoiseblade:
More advice needed!

Will Visa plastic work in Manila and Baguio?

Should I bring USD greenbacks and have them changed when I get there? Or shoud I just spend USD\'s as cash?

Sorry for all the questions, but I gotta know : )

Law

:

--- Quote from: turquoiseblade on June 21, 2008, 08:40:39 AM ---More advice needed!

Should I bring USD greenbacks and have them changed when I get there? Or shoud I just spend USD\'s as cash?

Law

--- End quote ---

Law,

Visa is accepted almost everywhere & works in many ATM\'s. Easy to change $ here & pay in Peso.

Manila Cockney:

--- Quote from: turquoiseblade on June 21, 2008, 08:40:39 AM ---More advice needed!

Law

--- End quote ---

US dollars are generally not accepted as cash here, similar that pesos are generally not accepted as cash in USA. Yesterday I deposited some dollars into my dollar account at BPI. They recorded every serial number and was told I would have to one week for the dollars to clear! The dollars were withdrawn only 10 minutes before that at Citibank. Bring an ATM card and withdraw pesos directly from the ATM.† †

Gray Wolf:

Law

--- End quote ---

You can\'t spend your dollars in the RP anywhere that I know of.† You\'ll need to exchange them for pesos.† Be sure to bring only new, crisp $100 bills for the best rate.† They may refuse to exchange any older or wrinkled 100\'s.† Forget bringing 20\'s, or 10\'s.† Also, do not expect to get a good rate by going to a bank.† Exchange your dollars to pesos in one of the major malls.† Avoid all \"street level\" money changers.† Most are rip offs.

Most large businesses accept Visa cards with few questions, if any.† They also come in handy for paying hotel bills, etc.† Make sure you tell your bank where you\'re going and how long you expect to be there.† Failure to do so could result in a large embarrassment when they say \"Sorry sir, card no work.\"† Most banks now have built in fraud prevention and if you don\'t let them know you\'ll be out of the country, they could put a block on your card.† Bad news!

michael16136:
I recommend that you use your ATM card while here and that you don\'t worry about bringing lots of US cash. It\'s not only more convenient but you will get a better rate than with money changers. Visa/Mastercard are widely accepted but I have to let my bank know every month that I\'m still out of the country. Otherwise, it sometimes gets blocked and I have to call.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version