Welcome to the Forum! > Hello and Welcome!

Hello Everyone!

(1/2) > >>

clarkee:
Hello and good morning or good evening which ever fits the time you read this message.  Is everyone still alive and well? I don't see too much posting anymore. I'm hearing through the grapevine that the Philippines is going to start opening back up to the non-vaccinated. Has anyone heard anything different?  I'm not really sure as to how many of you are actually living in the Philippines. I'm living in the Southern US and my Filipina want even consider living back in the Philippines. I think she's Americanized! LOL! She talks about visiting but that's it. I might go over for a month or two visit if they do away with their restrictions. Problem is they could start the PLANDEMIC back up at a moment's notice while I'm there. Who knows! Any info on this topic would be much appreciated!  God Bless and everyone have a wonderful day!

JoeLP:
Hearing the same things via grapevine here in the Philippines.    But if you enter unvaccinated they may make you quarantine for 5 days. 
The pandemic really hurt the Phils being tourism is a big source of income/GNP.  I doubt they'll be quick to return to that hell. 
I think you'll be fine traveling here.
My second wife moved as an 18 year old to Chicago.  Always talked favorably of her Philippines.  25 years later we went to visit her old stomping grounds and that was it.  As far as I know, she still has zero desire ever to return.  Her grand memories now lessened. 
Your filipina's reaction does not surprise me.

MotorSarge:

Well, I try to stop by the LIP site a few times a week to see what is going on and yes it has been very quiet here.
Yep, heard/read the same of the PI opening back up, which is a good thing and I think the plandemic put a hurting on the whole world, too sad.
Yes many Filipinas get westernized..what a shame in my opinion.
In the next 1-2 years we are going to start our half a year here and half their routine for life or the next conspiracy theory, NWO, etc..Ha ha.

Have a great day,

MS

clarkee:
I can visit but I can't live in the Philippines. I worked to long and hard to give up what little conveniences I still have.  I'm 64 now and tried living there back in 2002 and I could only put up with the nonsense for 9 months.  Wonderful people but they need to catch up with the rest of the world in doing business. Just my opinion only!

codefreeze:

--- Quote from: clarkee on October 29, 2022, 04:39:08 AM ---I'm hearing through the grapevine that the Philippines is going to start opening back up to the non-vaccinated. Has anyone heard anything different? 

--- End quote ---

Who knows, it changes every five minutes anyway! ;) Then again, do you really want some variation of Rona running rampage again? I think they'd have to be really feeling it to allow that.

But there are other issues preventing people from returning - flights for example, are a lot thinner on the ground. PA doesn't even fly from LHR to MNL any more. Many other flights have just been shut down too - I recently heard for example that Thai Airways from Perth to BKK is no more. I mean that was a really popular route back in the day (pre-Rona). This all means flights are very expensive - if you can get them. And then, what kind of hassles are you going to get on arrival. I recently watched a report from one guy who'd been trying to *leave* Philippines, and he nearly didn't get out - had to jump through all kinds of hoops. I don't want some "jobsworth" giving me grief because you were supposed to apply for the XYZ/arrival/departure/e-visa/blah-de-blah less that 72 hours before travel etc. No thanks! :)

--- Quote ---I'm not really sure as to how many of you are actually living in the Philippines. I'm living in the Southern US and my Filipina want even consider living back in the Philippines. I think she's Americanized! LOL! She talks about visiting but that's it. I might go over for a month or two visit if they do away with their restrictions. Problem is they could start the PLANDEMIC back up at a moment's notice while I'm there. Who knows! Any info on this topic would be much appreciated!  God Bless and everyone have a wonderful day!

--- End quote ---

Interesting one that. First, yes, many filipinas don't want to go home for more than a visit - and that's because they *know* the reality of living in the Philippines far better - they often lived it for 30 years or more before moving to the West - they fully understand the pros and cons (yes, there are cons), and also the pros and cons of the West.

For myself, having been travelling to the Philippines since 2011 (and Thailand and Malaysia extensively before that, since 2003), I am also reasonably familiar with the pros and cons. As I get older I must admit to becoming more enamoured with the many advantages of living in the West. But yes, on those long dark Winter evenings, I'm back experiencing those hot Kata beach nights down in Phuket, or floating out in the Sulu sea, or diving the crystal clear waters off Perhentian - at least in my mind - and some raven-haired, almond-eyed beauty, with perfect honey skin, and a megawatt smile, is passing me an ice-cold beer, and this is as close to heaven as you'll get this side of the fence. Been there, got the t-shirt(s), and those memories will keep me toasty when I'm supping on my chemo-cocktail, and counting down the days to the big departure from terminal 0 - hopefully my e-visa is all in order at St.Peter's gate, or I'll be slumming downstairs in the steamy economy class seats, rather than reclining in Singapore first class lounge... ;)

BTW, I'm not sure all foreigners "living" in Philippines actually are living. There's a good bunch of them who are surviving, and mainly there because it's cheap (compared to say UK or USA). I don't call drinking beer all day, watching Sky Sports on cable, and never emerging from your compound living. But there are many in places I've rocked up in who do precisely that. Whatever floats your boat I guess. There are some though who have made a life there - and you can see them getting antsy - the novelty of that beach side rental places diminishes over time - when you're woken up by a cockerel at 4.00am every morning, and have to fight off seemingly wild dogs every time you want to go any where. And WTF is the neighbour burning now - coconut husks again?? ;) Yeah, all is not always perfect in paradise...

Having said all that I love visiting Philippines, but have to say I'm a Manila guy - grown to love the place, but only because I've also spent a lot of time out on the islands...my typical trip now is say two weeks in Manila and maybe a week exploring somewhere else...next trip we'll probably go for a month (like we did last time) and combine a good stint in Manila, and a week island hopping and doing some diving perhaps...that works for me, it might not work for anyone else though...

Cheers,
Code

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version