Living in The Philippines > RA 9225, Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition

Dual Citizenship

(1/4) > >>

arlie:
Let me plum the depth of your knowledge here.  My wife was born and reared in the Philippines and so was a citizen by birth.  After coming to the US and marrying me [dont blame her she couldnt help her self] she became a US citizen.  When they do that of course they swear off any allegiance to the Philippines.  The question is, is there any record of her doing that in the Philippine government files or as far as they know is she still a citizen of the Philippines without applying for a Re-acquisition of citizenship.  Her brother has kept up her social sec. payments so he can draw the benefits, such as they are, when she reaches retirement age.  Which will be some time yet,just in case she reads this..

;) ;)

Arlie

GregW:
Arlie, it\'s much better to have her reacquire her citizenship from the Consulate serving your area.  It\'s a really simple process.  My wife did it last year.  Cost is only $50.  If you don\'t reacquire there may be some problems when she tries to renew her Philippine passport.  For a listing of the RP Consulates in the US click the link below.

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/Consulates.htm

arlie:
Greg W.
Only problem with that is the closest consulate is a long days drive a way from where we live. One way that is.  Not insurmountable but a real pain in the neck none the less.  She does not plan to get a Philippine pass port.  I am only concerned about the amount of property a former citizen is allowed to own. Thanks for your reply by the way.

Arlie:   :)

:

--- Quote from: arlie on January 18, 2008, 01:21:23 PM ---Only problem with that is the closest consulate is a long days drive a way from where we live. One way that is.  Not insurmountable but a real pain in the neck none the less.  She does not plan to get a Philippine pass port.  I am only concerned about the amount of property a former citizen is allowed to own.
--- End quote ---

If property acquisition is your only concern, that is even more reason to reacquire citizenship.  It\'s a simple process; taking an oath and paying $50.  It simplifies returning to the RP (no visas) and allows for unlimited property acquisition (as may be allowed to any Philippine citizen).  If going to a Consulate is inconvenient, most Consulates send representatives to outlaying Filipino communities just for the purpose of reacquisition of citizenships. 

oldmalthouse:

--- Quote from: Ron on January 18, 2008, 04:06:36 PM ---
--- Quote from: arlie on January 18, 2008, 01:21:23 PM --- I am only concerned about the amount of property a former citizen is allowed to own.
--- End quote ---

If property acquisition is your only concern, that is even more reason to reacquire citizenship.  . 

--- End quote ---

Just how does the re-acquisition of Philippine mnationality affect property ownership?

My wife bought her land well before she took out British nationality It consists of one 4.4 ha agriculture plot, and just over 1000 sq m by the national road. We are now negotiating to purchase an access road to link the 4.4 ha to the barangay road, will this be allowed?
Should we put the access road in the names of our 2 children?
(our children share a 3.3 ha plot of agriculture land, but they have daul nationality by right of birth, and so can retain both nationalities as they did not need to swear any oath of aligence)
If my wife declares that she took out British nationality and re-acquires her Philippine nationality, will that affect her rights to the land which she bought before she became British?

thanks in advance

Martin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version