Living in The Philippines > RA 9225, Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition

Where to get Document needed for Dual Citizenship

(1/6) > >>

hitekcountry:
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I’ve spent many hours over several weeks reading as much as I can on this web site trying to learn as much as I can. There’s a lot of great information here thanks to all that contribute and share what they know. I’ve learned a lot. Thank you all.

Background
My Father was Filipino born in the Philippines. He came to the US just before the depression and married my Mother an American at the start of the war (WWII). I was born (in the US) before the end of the war. My Father became a US citizen in the early 50s, I was about 6yrs old at the time. My Mother died in the 70s and my father went to the Philippines and married a Filipina and brought her back to the US. My Father died about 10 years ago.
I am now retired and living in Silicon Valley. All along I had as a general plan the Idea that I would stay in this area until the time I would retire then move somewhere else. “Somewhere else” was never defined.  Recently I’ve been seriously considering retiring to the Philippines and learned about Dual Citizenship. Being able to acquire Philippine citizenship would weigh heavily in favor of deciding to retire there. 
I called the SF office of the Philippine Consulate to ask the requirement for a child born in the US with a Filipino parent to obtain dual Citizenship.

Documents I would need:
  My birth certificate.—which I have and it states-Father-Philipino (sic)  Fathers Birthplace –Phillipine Islande (sic)
  My parents’ marriage certificate.
  My Fathers US citizenship papers—I assume to verify the date he became a US citizen was after I was born.

Situation is
The two items, my parents marriage certificate and my fathers citizenship papers I don’t have. My stepmother would be the person that would have them if they still exist. I don’t have any kind of working relationship with my stepmother. My sister more-or-less does. In the past we’ve (or she has) asked her for important documents and we’ve gotten some but not everything that we were looking for. There is no way to know how thorough the search was. She won’t let anyone else look and I suppose I wouldn’t either.
I would give my chances of getting these documents from her at maybe 20% at best.

My questions are:
What other options do I have?
Is it at all possible the Philippine Consulate would take my birth certificate and say “Ok you couldn’t find the other documents but this will be good enough”?
If that isn’t likely then where can I get the other two documents?
What American agency would have my father’s citizenship records?
Or would a Philippine agency have that?
What agency has marriage documents?
If I'm unable to find these two documents am I SOL?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Steve & Myrlita:

--- Quote from: hitekcountry on December 25, 2012, 04:24:44 PM ---Is it at all possible the Philippine Consulate would take my birth certificate and say “Ok you couldn’t find the other documents but this will be good enough”?
If that isn’t likely then where can I get the other two documents?
What American agency would have my father’s citizenship records?
Or would a Philippine agency have that?
What agency has marriage documents?
If I'm unable to find these two documents am I SOL?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--- End quote ---
You might be able to obtain those documents from the National Statistics Office (NSO). Being the son of a Philippine Citizen, you should be able to obtain them. God Bless....

Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am:
First all, welcome hitekcountry to the forum! As to the initial requirement to become a dual citizen one would have to have been born in the Philippines and have at one time been a Filipino citizen and or had a Filipino passport previously! So, in your case you were born in the U.S., never been a former Filipino citizen and that alone would deny you any hopes of qualifying for dual citizenship under the RA 9225 even though both or one of your parents were Filipino citizens. So in actuality and the key words are "FORMER FILIPINO CITIZEN", which you are not and never been due to your actual birth in America.
I even know of U.S. citizens who are Filipinos by birth and they can't even qualify for dual citizenship under RA 9225, because they couldn't show proof of previously being a former Filipino citizen, even though they have birth certificates showing that they were born in the Philippines, also when the day they were born, they were immediately registered with the U.S. Embassy and also left the Philippines using a U.S. passport and not a Filipino passport, meaning they never been a Filipino citizen and or also due to the Jus sanguinis rule which is a "principle of nationality law", so technically you are not a Fil/Am by definition, because you are a full pledge American, because of your actual birth in the U.S.. even with a Filipino nationality by blood relations!   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_sanguinis 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli

Anyway, you can always go with the "Balikbayan Program", 13a Permanent Resident Visa if married to a Filipino spouse or which in your case may be the only option, is the (SRRV) Special Resident Retiree's Visa for retired single individuals over 35 if you are considering to retire in the Philippines for a long period of time, also it would be useless if one continuously leaves the Philippines under those types of visas for what ever the reasons, because these types of visas do have restrictions and expiration dates, but can be renewed. You can check them out and read for yourself if these types of visas are for you and may help you to determine if they fit your needs while residing in the Philippines for retirement purposes for the long haul!
When was the last time you were in the Philippines? Are you more American than Filipino of which I mean, do you speak the Filipino language and know of the culture and customs? 

BTW, I grew up in Northern and Southern California and lived in Silicon Valley and graduated from Sunnyvale High School in 1966 before I joined the Air Force in 1967. I was born in the Philippines and my wife and I have been retired in Philippines since 1998. I'm not yet a dual citizen, only my wife is since 2 yrs ago, but I do plan on applying for my dual citizenship maybe next year in San Francisco since it's much faster doing it there!     

Gray Wolf:
Hitekcountry, Welcome to the group! 

The USCIS has a fee-based geneology service which offers geneology records of Naturalized Citizens (C-files) from September 27, 1906 to April 1, 1956.  It appears that your father's records would be from this era.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=d21f3711ca5ca110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD&vgnextchannel=d21f3711ca5ca110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD

They suggest, and I agree, that you should first read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), form instructions, and other information on their website before sending any money.
If this works, then you would have copies or at least a record of your father's naturalization. 

Do you know exactly where your father and mother were married?  If so, then you could check with the county clerk of the county in which they were married to get copies of their marriage certificate.

I hope you find everything you need.  Stay in contact with us and we'll do all we can to assist you.

Merry Christmas!   :)

Jack Bishop - "Gray Wolf"
Forum Administrator

Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am:
hitekcountry,

Even if you did find all the documents you are seeking, your intentions to acquire dual citizenship are slim to none as I mentioned in my OP, but don't let that deter your decision in considering retiring in the Philippines, because you do have other options!
If you haven't been to Philippines, just take a few vacations here and see how you like it before making any final decisions! We all on this forum will help and guide you the way!
Good luck with your quest in defining where that "somewhere else will be"!

Art
Formerly from
Silicon Valley, Ca.
Now, Sta Rosa,
Laguna PH

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version