Author Topic: Just got back from PARADISE.  (Read 5133 times)

Offline BigBird

• Sr Member
Re: Just got back from PARADISE.
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 02:40:40 AM »
I also have 3 - 5 years to decide on the spot.  Family will be a big factor to the wife and no body lives in or near any real major city.  So might just have to go native and hope for the best.  With the cost of housing in her home area it will be easy to pick up and move if I would start to go crazy.

Housing is affordable in that area.  They are nice estates and all landscaped to resemble nature.  Fresh catch was 80 piso a kilo if you have no luck yourself that day.

All my friends here have nice salt water aquariums.  And there we ate for pennies that which they pay hundreds for here!

I guess any place can grow on you over time........

But that 4.5 hour one way ride on the boat to the wet market and stores is hard on the aft section after about 2 hours into the journey!  But great sights of ocean and island along the way......  And then back with most of the day lost to just travel.  Packed like sardines in the bottom of the boat!  Of course, I stay up top in the open air!  If it goes under I want to be able to at least jump.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 06:43:51 AM »
BigBird,

From one fellow Kentuckian to another (I live in Louisville  :) ),  check out the info on \"clickable photos\".  It will enhance your images and allow all of us to see better, higher resolution images without overloading the server.

The first and main informative post is from grizzi:

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=206.msg2581#msg2581

The second is my effort to refine the instructions for \"Generate HTML Code\":

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=206.msg9773#msg9773

The PhotoBucket accounts are free and easy to use.  Also, you can save the full size digital images and PhotoBucket will automatically rescale them to the perfect Forum size.  No need to guess at what size is best. 

You can then redo your posts and include the high res images for all of us to see.  One other advantage with this method is that you don\'t have to scroll across the page to see the photos.  We simply click on them and they open to a large image for better viewing. 

Also, if you use Mozilla Firefox as your browser, something we all recommend, when you view an image it opens in a new tab allowing you to keep open all the photos in a collection when viewing, making the photo essay more enjoyable. 

Welcome to the group, neighbor!   :) :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline imtheredrum

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 03:25:31 PM »
Have been to the PI twice, 3 months in 2006 and 3 months in 2008 just got back to the US in mid July.  My first trip I spent 6 weeks in Luzon... did the manila thing for a week and rented a car (cheap) drove up the coast and took in all the beautiful resorts and enjoyed all.  Vigan and Baguio are top on the list of places to visit for sure. My fiance is from Mindanao and was likewise thrilled with the coast.  2nd half of the trip was in Mindanao... rented a motorcycle and traveled from Iligan, Naawan, CDO, and up the cost to Medina, Gingoog City, the caves, Jurassic Park, Butuan.  pent several days days in each place...  My honey and friends took good care of me and I felt save at every location. Yes it is wise not to flash jewelry or money and it was fun trying to communicate (just learning visayan and Tagalog) and sharing smiles and laughs withe friends and strangers alike.  I gave and received respect and smiles at every stop.

My second trip I was on a mission... find a place to live... city life is needed from time to time for various reasons from supplies to lifting an occasional elbow...LOL.  After all my travels I fell in love with the clean quaint local of Bohol.  I purchased some land. Just big enough to have a garden, and an alarm clock lol.. I will be 1 hour high speed ferry to Cebu with hourly boats in between and a 40 minute drive to Tagbilarin.

I will return this Sept/Oct on a one way ticket. Wedding is all set up and we will stay at her place in Gingoog City temporarily as we will start to build near Tubigon in the spring.

All said these posts are full of good information.  Be aware of your surroundings as you would in any big city and be smart, polite, and respectful... what you give you will receive.  I find the people very very friendly and always willing to help. Try to get help in NYC...lol.  My family has always looked after me and always made sure I was safe.  I can\'t think of a nicer place to live... and can\'t wait to get back... wish you all the best.... Jeff
..                                \ \ \ | / / /
..                                  ( @ @~)
Jeff & Ritz  -----o00o-(. .)-o00o-----

Offline Beatle

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 05:03:45 AM »

Jeff,
              Great first post!  I too have been to the RP twice and plan on moving there in March of \'09, we will be in San Jose , Bicol  and Canlubang,Laguna. Have a blessed move.

Ray
If you treat a servant like a servant, you will lead a alone. But if you treat a servant like a leader, multitudes will follow.  Beatle

Offline imtheredrum

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 05:20:42 AM »
Hey Beatle,

Forgot to mention San Jose... beautiful place and area... close enough to what ever tickles your fancy.  I have to admit, it was a hard decision to pass on the PI Riviera of Northern Luzon.... after weighing the all aspects, I opted for a nice clean quiet place but still within reach of the nightlife if needed.... besides installing an alarm clock in the yard, I am sending all fishing tackle ahead so it will be there waiting for me...LOL... not big on hand lines  :D

Good luck with your plans... God bless you and yours... My door will be easy to open (well after this spring  :D) if you are ever near the Tubigan area site seeing or whatever...

Jeff & Ritz

Offline Beatle

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 05:49:26 AM »

Jeff & Ritz,

Thank you for the invitation, I would truly like to meet you both and see that part of the Islands. If you have the chance and a picture
there is a photo section of this form, it would be great to see a picture of the both of you.

Ray
If you treat a servant like a servant, you will lead a alone. But if you treat a servant like a leader, multitudes will follow.  Beatle

Offline lifes2short

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2008, 03:04:22 AM »
Hi Jeff & Ritz,

Quick question since you\'re familiar with Gingoog area. Been there in passing going to the BIR office, so somewhat familiar with the immediate locale. We are looking at a property in Consuelo Magsaysay, about 20 minutes north of Gingoog, was wondering if you or Ritz can tell us about the town, what its like, the local going price per square meter for a local person vice Kano. We\'ll be there next month for a much needed R&R.

Thanks for any info,

Joy

Offline imtheredrum

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2008, 08:59:33 AM »
I will as my asawa about it, her sister lives up there... small town and rural seems clean and quiet... close to Medina... Duka bay... beautiful resort.  Medina\'s land is more expensive because of the developments along the beaches.

I would ask her now but I am in the us on a trip to settle some finances and ship all of our things back to Gingoog.. I get back in country on the 7th of Oct.

Offline imtheredrum

• Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 08:58:17 PM »
Hi Jeff & Ritz,

Quick question since you\'re familiar with Gingoog area. Been there in passing going to the BIR office, so somewhat familiar with the immediate locale. We are looking at a property in Consuelo Magsaysay, about 20 minutes north of Gingoog, was wondering if you or Ritz can tell us about the town, what its like, the local going price per square meter for a local person vice Kano. We\'ll be there next month for a much needed R&R.

Thanks for any info,

Joy

The land in Consuelo near the beach is 1 million pesos per hector... roughly 235,000 per 1000 sq. meters... but the price drops by about 30% if you are not near the water areas.  If you let me know how much land you want, I will have my sister in law look into it as if she were going to buy... not for a foreigner... just let me know how much you want and near the water or what?

Offline lifes2short

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 06:37:45 AM »

The land in Consuelo near the beach is 1 million pesos per hector... roughly 235,000 per 1000 sq. meters... but the price drops by about 30% if you are not near the water areas.  If you let me know how much land you want, I will have my sister in law look into it as if she were going to buy... not for a foreigner... just let me know how much you want and near the water or what?

Thanks for the info. I think we\'ll hold off and see how this economy is going to turn out. :(

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Wishing you & Ritz a blissful life together!

Joy