Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Types of wood floors avail in the Phils  (Read 8725 times)

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
Types of wood floors avail in the Phils
« on: September 18, 2008, 08:22:58 PM »
Just wondering if any of you have found any good options for wood floors here in the Phils?

Seems like the most common that has been used since the 80s (or even longer) is the Solid Wood Blocks. These are the pieces of wood than measure about 1 1/2\" wide by about 4\" long. We have them in the bedrooms of the 3 year old house we are now renting, and they were used in the bedrooms of the mid 80s house we were previously renting. In fact, we bought a buffer just to keep these floors waxed nicely. Not a bad wood floor, but these small blocks have a tendency to come loose ... The thing is, I really don\'t like this style of wood floor all that much, and it\'s very time consuming to have installed new.

Well, I was at a large hardware / contractors store here and saw the \"Laminate\" style floor planks they are now selling. These pieces are maybe 1 foot wide by about 4 feet in length. It\'s actually a wood image printed on some type of a thin board and a very hard coating applied to hinder scratches and dents ... and these planks lock together. A Google search says the quality of a \"fake wood\" Laminate floor nowdays is very good if purchased in the US ... but I question the quality of these Laminate planks here in the Philippines. I woory that they will show signs of wear very easily.

What would be really nice is the \"Engineered\" style wood flooring. This style of wood flooring is made from some type of wood planking, and then a high quality wood veneer (ie: Oak, etc) is glued on the top ... Very nice. Of course it\'s much more expensive than the \"Laminate\" (fake) wood floors ... The problem is; I don\'t see these Engineered (veneer) type floors here in the PI.

A really want wood floors in the bedrooms of the new house I am building, but not real excited with those small wood blocks they use here so often.

Anyone have any input into any of this?

Thank\'s,  :)
Ron
Out of Stock Sir !

Offline imtheredrum

• Sr Member
Re: Types of wood floors avail in the Phils
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 10:46:28 PM »
Ray.... I\'ve been in the flooring business for over 10 years.... I have not seen the \"Laminate\" floors yet in the PI but will be researching the wood thing there, because I will be building in the spring in Bohol.

Based on my knowledge of the laminates in the US, I have installed and sold tons from my store, caution must be taken when installing and in use thereafter...

Two biggest complaints about them... 1. they sound fake and tacky when you walk on them because they are a floating floor... 2. Even though scratch resistant, the utmost care must be taken not to scratch... once scratched, you own the scratch forever... unless you know or want to disassemble the floor till you get to the bad board and replace it then all the rest.

Two biggest compliments about them... 1. low maintenance... 2. easy to clean (windex spray and a dry mop) disinfects and cleans.

Yes, engineered wood flooring is by far more stable as to warping of the solid woods be they 1/2 or 3/4 inch thick.  The solids can not be glued to concrete due to moister always evaporating through and will warp the solids.  The engineered are layered in opposite directions so each layer stops the lower layer from warping.  The reason for the small tiles or any glued down tiles is directly related to the humidity and water evaporation from the slab... the best wood floors you can get are engineered with at least 3 to 4 sub layers below the actual wear layer and they can now be floated also.  The new finishes on the engineered woods now also offer 20 year wear warrantees due to the aluminum oxide finishes now applied.

You did not give a time table for installing the floor but can always do later.  I will keep an eye out for a quality product... and post it if I find one... but again, check the origin of the the manufacturer before you buy... if it\'s from China or anywhere from Asia I would be wary about making the investment.

I may end up just putting in porcelain tile with a unpolished surface if I can\'t find a good engineered wood product in this comming May.  Later, as I also love wood floors, if I find it, I will let you know...

Best to you and yours...
..                                \ \ \ | / / /
..                                  ( @ @~)
Jeff & Ritz  -----o00o-(. .)-o00o-----

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 09:52:20 AM »
Jeff, that is useful information as I was thinking of using solid wood strips for flooring, maybe not such a good idea now.

I believe I saw laminated flooring in one of the big hardware stores in Manila last year. I can\'t remember the name of the store/warehouse but it was just down the road from the Mall of Asia.

Colin

Offline imtheredrum

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 10:27:12 AM »
Yes Colin,

By all means, if you have a slab, as most do... do not glue down solid wood strips... I promise you they will warp and gap and you will definitely not be happy with that.  The laminates are floaters with 1/4 gap at the walls for expantion and moisture evaporation... but if you get any standing water or a leaky pipe at the sink... they will also swell (the high pressure center)... when I get to Manila on the 7th, I will look around there, Cebu, and down in CDO since I will be temporarily staying in Gingoog City Mindanao till about March.

best to you and yours

God bless....

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 11:28:47 AM »
Well, I found a local company on the internet called Puyat Flooring Products (APO Floors Brand) that manufactures and distributes Engineered hardwood planks here in the PI (called \"Realwood\" on there website)

The planks are 12mm thick, 6\" wide and 48\" in length ... The surface material is all-natural Philippine Rosewood (Toog) that is 1.5mm solid hardwood and comes in various stains.

Product cost is 1,400 pesos ($30) per sq meter which seems a little pricey.

But, the more I look at it on there website, the more I don\'t know if I really like it compared to some of the quality Engineered planks sold in the US. Might have something to do with that so-called Philippine Rosewood (Toog) ?

Here is there website: http://www.apofloors.com/index.php?/inner/products/product_catalogue/engineered_wood/realwood 

You can look around there site and tell me what you think. Here is the section of there website that gives there address and a few photos of there facitities: http://www.apofloors.com/index.php?/inner/contact_us

Ron,

Out of Stock Sir !

Offline jcjimc

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 10:13:46 PM »
Hi Jeff - There is loads of Laminate Flooring available in the Phil\'s mainly Uniclic made by Unilin Belgium or Krono Plus made by Kronospan Germany.There is also Engineered wood as well as solid wood either using the click method of jointing or the tongue and groove method of jointing.
If you lay any type of wood directly onto concrete you will first have to lay a vapour barrier first such as visqueen (PVC sheet) this prevents the wood absorbing moisture from the concrete.
Unless you are living in a Condominium I would suggest that you only use ceramic tiles as the Termites will eventually find their way to a wooden floor be it solid wood or HDF Laminate.
You can look at my companies web site for more info www.bhk.de
Kind regards.
Jim.

Offline imtheredrum

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 10:49:38 PM »
Thanks Jim....

I will only put ceramic or porcelain down...  preferr the later with a non polished textured surface... just me though.
I hope this info helps the people looking into wood... and your right about the vapor barrier but in real humid areas and with ground moisture always evaporating, even with the vapor barrier, if it is not take up the wall and hidden by the wall base the evaporation moister will still wick into the ends of the planks or sides... but again that is in sever areas.

I don\'t recommend either product in the kitchens nor the bathrooms due to sink/toilet pipe leakage anyway... you never know it\'s leaking until it is usually too late.

Take care,

Best to you and yours

Jeff and Ritz

Offline jcjimc

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 02:05:24 AM »
Hi Jeff- Rather than go through our sister site here is our UK site http://www.bhkonline.com/

Kind regards.
Jim.

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 02:36:52 AM »
Jeff,

We just finished a complete remodel of the house in Leyte, and for our bedroom, we decided on the tongue and groove wood tiles bought from Citi Hardware outside of Ormoc City. The cost of the tiles also included installation. They did a good job (from what I can see in the pictures since I\'m out of country working).

We also bought wood-grained ceramic tiles for the hallway to kind of match what we did in the bedroom.

So far, we get nothing but compliments from everyone that visits.

Greg
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline imtheredrum

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 05:18:19 AM »
HI Greg,

I hope they laid down the thin foam padding and vapor barrier for you in their installation... I like the grain look too.  The floor should last longer than us...LOL

You got a great low maintenance floor... a spritz of windex or the like and a dry mop or rag and it\'s not only clean, it\'s disinfected too...

Best to you and yours...

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 09:50:28 AM »
We have been using non-glazed tiles for flooring, (over concrete), here in the Philippines.

I\'ve never been into the man made stuff for flooring. If using wood, I prefer oiled hard wood, (old school).

I know, more maintenance, but hard to beat, IMO!
B-Ray

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 01:06:45 AM »
Well, I was here in the Netherlands working, and they had to level the floor before installing the wood flooring. I found out the leveling had been done the day before and I stopped them in their tracks and had them wait a week to let the concrete cure up...and yes, they laid down some kind of vapor barrier before installing the flooring... 8) Had that issue once before...never again.
Greg & Almira  ;-)