Author Topic: ICF BLOCKS  (Read 4558 times)

ICF BLOCKS
« on: October 11, 2008, 10:55:49 AM »
Any comments on this product for the Philippines?

http://www.icfhomes.com/
B-Ray

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
Re: ICF BLOCKS
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 01:43:53 PM »
Great idea, but I don\'t think they can be obtained here, and it could be difficult finding a concrete pump outside manila or roads that will handle a redimix truck or even a redimix company.
Wayne  ;D ;D

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 02:48:11 PM »
If anyone knows if it is available here then let me know, I would be very interested.

Colin

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 09:41:50 AM »
Has anyone heard of people building \"Earthship\" style homes?
There have got to be enough raw materials there(cheap) that it might be worth looking into that option.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 10:11:42 AM »
There is a concrete redimix company and a pump truck in Dumaguete City. Road conditions would be a factor for sure!!

But why the need for a pump truck?

I would think, that pouring by hand/buckets as going up, like they do with hollow blocks would work just as well? Granted, a LOT slower using a 1-2 bag mixer and doing smaller areas at a time would be in order.
B-Ray

Great idea, but I don\'t think they can be obtained here, and it could be difficult finding a concrete pump outside manila or roads that will handle a redimix truck or even a redimix company.

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 02:19:04 PM »
There have got to be enough raw materials there(cheap) that it might be worth looking into that option.

Rufus, have you thought of constructing a house with bottle walls? You could start with full bottles of Red Horse with the caps facing inwards and and gradually lighten the structure throughout the year  ;D ;D ;D

Colin

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 10:52:30 AM »
There is a concrete redimix company and a pump truck in Dumaguete City. Road conditions would be a factor for sure!!

But why the need for a pump truck?

I would think, that pouring by hand/buckets as going up, like they do with hollow blocks would work just as well? Granted, a LOT slower using a 1-2 bag mixer and doing smaller areas at a time would be in order.
B-Ray

The issue here is to pour a wall at a time so you get consistency in the strength of the wall and often you will pout the whole house walls at the same time from the same batch with many trucks at the same time.
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 11:46:30 PM »

Rufus, have you thought of constructing a house with bottle walls? You could start with full bottles of Red Horse with the caps facing inwards and and gradually lighten the structure throughout the year  ;D ;D ;D

Colin

Actually, bottles are good to use as material for earthship construction. But I think that bottle deposits would prevent them from being an easily attainable material.
I was thinking more along the lines of tires. I\'m sure there are more than a few of those available.
As for having a ready source of beer available coming out of the walls, thats a good idea ;D
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 09:24:39 AM »

Rufus,

Check out this topic from earlier in the year:

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php/topic,706.0.html

This looks very interesting and with a bit of ingenuity could be adapted to your housing needs very easily.
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 03:08:08 AM »
Yes I have seen the thread on earthbag construction.(I have pretty much read every thread  ;D ;D)
But that requires purchase of the \"bags\".
Tires are free and, as Colin mentioned, bottles can also be used as well as, I guess, any form of clean solid waste that would add bulk.
But the entire \"earthship\" concept is a little more involved and could be something an industrious kano might get into.
I was more or less just adding fodder ;) to the discussion, but for those interested...
   here is a basic overview
Small | Large
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 10:54:19 AM »
Yes I have seen the thread on earthbag construction.(I have pretty much read every thread  ;D ;D)
But that requires purchase of the \"bags\".
Tires are free and, as Colin mentioned, bottles can also be used as well as, I guess, any form of clean solid waste that would add bulk.
But the entire \"earthship\" concept is a little more involved and could be something an industrious kano might get into.
I was more or less just adding fodder ;) to the discussion, but for those interested...
   here is a basic overview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jdIm7grCY

The videos look very interesting, but it has taken over 30 minutes just to see a very small part of the first one because my internet runs very very slowly at weekends. I will look at them all later in the week.

One of the problems here could be that any form of usable waste is collected to be resold for money. We often see young boys carrying large sacks and diving into waste bins. If we ever put out a cardboard box, it is gone within 10 minutes.

Colin