Author Topic: Hi,its henry.....do I have enough money??  (Read 18585 times)

Re: Hi,its henry.....do I have enough money??
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 09:32:05 AM »
Awww Wayne, it\'s not that I don\'t miss our engaging conversations, it\'s just that Jack be busy working trying to earn enough money to live his dream while there\'s still time to enjoy it and before the politicians in the US take everything I own!   ;D

Everything you say about the \"new\" topic is exactly what we have already.  I see no need to start a new section that has essentially the same info we have already.   ???

Tom\'s post gives what he planned, basically the upper middle class lifestyle expenses.  Or am I missing something?

I believe what Wayne is suggesting is a new section, perhaps at the top of the main page, entitled \'FAQ\'. This could contain subsections as he suggested with typical questions. The subsections could then contain links to the relevant information, a sort of simple index. Seems a good idea to me  ;)

Colin

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 07:07:06 PM »
Tom,... If some of this info was put in a frequently asked questions area, and updated regularly, it wold serve a lot of people... I might bring it up with Jack at some point...  Wayne  ;D

Everything you say about the \"new\" topic is exactly what we have already.  I see no need to start a new section that has essentially the same info we have already...  Or am I missing something?

I believe what Wayne is suggesting is a new section, perhaps at the top of the main page, entitled \'FAQ\'. This could contain subsections as he suggested with typical questions. The subsections could then contain links to the relevant information, a sort of simple index. Seems a good idea to me  ;)
Colin

Hello Wayne, Jack and Colin,

I think we may be mixing apples and oranges a bit.  In looking at the format of the Forum, the entire Forum design is essentially arranged as a giant FAQ section, i.e., the \"Board\" titles effectively serve as the FAQs and the \"Topics\" & \"Posts\" furnish the answers &/or relevant information.  The \"Categories\" serve to group related \"Boards\" (i.e., FAQs).   

Therefore, a typical FAQ section would be redundant and encompass a great deal of the substantive information already contained within the Forum posts.  This seems to be the concern noted by Jack in his post.

However, a FAQ section with minimal responses coupled with direction to (or links to) the appropriate area of the Forum could be very helpful.  I believe this is similar to what Wayne and Colin are suggesting.  Such a blended FAQ section would provide very quick & short responses, but primarily serve as an index or gateway to the Forum information. 

Example, Q - How much money do I need to live in the Philippines?  A - This depends on the lifestyle you wish to maintain and the area in which you wish to reside.  Refer to the information in \"Living Costs in Different Areas, Cities, Provinces\" under the Category \"It\'s Your Money.\"     [ ;D ;D ;D I know that is not the Category it is under... but it should be. see my comments below]       

Example, Q - Can an expat find a job in the Philippines?  A - Except in very limited circumstances, most expats are unable to find employment in the Philippines?  Refer to the information in \"Working in the Philippines\" under the Category \"It\'s Your Money.:  [ ;D ;D ;D  Yes, I know that Board does not exist, but see my comments below concerning some fine-tuning to the Forum Boards.]

In summary, I think a FAQ, structured as above, would be very helpful in directing viewers to frequently sought information and thereby avoid some basic questions from being repetitively asked, thereby also avoiding the creation of multiple overlapping Topics, often scattered among several Categories.  I think the most appropriate and manageable location for such a FAQ section would be to create a Board immediately after the \"Hello and Welcome!\" titled FAQ, with instructions of \"Find short answers to frequent questions, and directions to more extensive information contained within our Forum.\"  Of course, this Board would be locked for Postings or modification other than by the Administrator or others granted access.

COMMENTS -- Regardless of whether a FAQ is added, as any Forum grows, and new Boards, Topics and Posts are added, certain information and threads needs to be relocated.  (Jack, I honestly don\'t know how you find time to read and move topics as well as you do.  Must be a labor of love. :) )

In that regard, I believe a few Boards and Topics would be more appropriately placed and consistent with their content, and that of the Category, if they were moved.  I would humbly offer these suggestions:

1)  A new Board, \"Working in the Philippines\" needs to be set up just below the Board \"Starting and Running a Business\" under the Category \"Its Your Money.\"

2)  \"How can an American Find a Job in the Philippines\" in \"Relationships\" under \"Living in the Philippines\" needs to be moved to the new Board \"Working in the Philippines.\"

3)  The Board, \"Living Costs in Different Areas...\" needs to be moved to just below the new Board \"Working in the Philippines\" under the Category \"Its Your Money.\"

4)  \"Determination to be with my Family\" in \"Relationships\" under \"Living in the Philippines\" needs to be moved to the Board \"Living Costs in Different Areas...\"

5)  \"Semi-retiring to the Philippines\" in \"Not Sure Where to Post...\" under \"Post Your Questions Here\" needs to be moved to the Board \"Living Costs in Different Areas...\"

6)  Hi, its henry....do I have Enough Money\" in Living Costs in Different Areas...\" needs to have \"Hi, its henry\" deleted from the Topic name.   

7)  The Board, \"Sports and Leisure\" under the Category \"Getting Prepared for the Philippines\" needs to be moved to just above the Board \"Book Club\" under the Category \"Contributions by Members.\"

8)  The Board, \"Hobbies and Interests\" under the Category \"Getting Prepared for the Philippines\" needs to be moved to just above the Board \"Sports and Leisure\" under the Category \"Contributions by Members.\"

9)  This post by Tom, and the last posts in this thread by Wayne, Jack and Colin, need to be moved from this thread to a new thread... or moved to Jack\'s private files where he can ignore  >:( , consider  :),  decide against  :\'(, or implement  :) :) :) as he in his ultimate wisdom sees fit.  ;D

Seriously, if the decision were to be made to create a FAQ section, if I could be of any assistance to you... suggested Q & A, editing, etc., I would be happy to do so.  Similarly, if there is any Forum \"housekeeping\" you feel I could assist you with (I don\'t see a facial expression for \"yeah, right,\" maybe this will suffice -  ::) ), don\'t hesitate to ask.

Sorry this post is so \"long-winded,\"... I got carried away.

Tom     

Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 08:43:54 PM »
I have never known an attorney who could say 10 words take any less than 2000 to explain the 10. ;D

Wayne :D
Wayne  ;D ;D

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 09:58:15 PM »
Seems to me that we have a new moderator in the making  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Colin

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 06:36:54 AM »
I have never known an attorney who could say 10 words take any less than 2000 to explain the 10. ;D

Wayne :D

Wayne -- Hey, just bear with me... I\'ve only been retired a few months.  It takes time to learn that your not being paid by the word, or that you can\'t win by \"talking the other person to death.\" 

Colin -- \"Moderator\" !!!  Yikes,  :o ... sounds like a code word for \"work.\"  To me it would seem to be more relaxing to just offer long-winded opinions and snipe at Jack from the sidelines.  ;D

Tom 
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 12:27:08 PM »
Back to the basics of the thread.

I read the post(s) listing what is spent to live in the Philippines.

There\'s one life style with a P40,000 monthly rent, WILL NOT, fit the budget in question, PERIOD!!

A comfortable fully furnished housing and setup to most foreign standards, (not standard Pinoy), can be found at 1/4 that monthly rent and most likely 1/4 the size or less also. And depending on where in the Country you will set roots.

A somewhat safe figure to use for figuring monthly overhead cost anywhere, should fall around 1/3 your monthly income. Your monthly income will set your life style also!

If in the Philippines on a visitors visa, the cost to renew and the trip out of the country must be part of the budget.

I think you can find the average expat living somewhere in the Philippines on $1,000 a month and at the lower end, $5-600 a month and NOT living native that some expats CAN\'T figure how that\'s done!  ;D For those, the exchange rate sets the life style. For those at the upper end, they still complain about the exchange rate!! Maybe more so?  :P

We know personally, in house, for 3 years now, (retired here almost 5 yrs), can\'t say how or I\'ll have me head rolling on this boards floor, that foreigners live comfortably on P20k to P35k a month with AC, cable TV and cable internet and take a hot/cold shower when they want at P10,000 monthly rent.
B-Ray Bacong, Oriental Negros Island   

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 02:24:39 PM »
Back to the basics of the thread.

I think you can find the average expat living somewhere in the Philippines on $1,000 a month and at the lower end, $5-600 a month and NOT living native that some expats CAN\'T figure how that\'s done!  ;D

Ray, the only time I\'ve seen $5-600 a month mentioned is where people have already bought and built their house so rent and furnishings already taken out of the equation

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 04:25:11 PM »
We know personally... that foreigners live comfortably on P20k to P35k a month with AC, cable TV and cable internet and take a hot/cold shower when they want at P10,000 monthly rent.

B-Ray,

I would love to \"live comfortably\" on P20K a month as you posted, but I just can\'t seem to make the numbers fit.  I\'ve copied the P147,000 budget from my post above, absent amounts except for the P10K rent you provided, and it would be very helpful to me if you could fill in the monthly amounts that will total P20K on which \"foreigners live comfortably.\"  Thank you in advance for providing this information.  Tom.       

Monthly Budget
Rent - 10,000
Electricity (aircon, etc) -
Fuel/expense (vehicles) -
Propane (cooking) -
Drinking water (bottled) -
House water -
Broadband/DSL -
Cable/Sat -
Cell phone -
Local phone -
Food (groceries only) -
Food (eating out) -
Household Misc (bug spray, cleaning supplies, etc) -
Personal care (shampoo, toothpaste, etc) -
Entertainment - 
Helpers -
Insurance (health) -
Immigration fees -
Family assistance -
Misc -
Total – P20,000   (approx. $425 at approx. 47 to 1)

Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 06:16:09 PM »
Cheapest I have done it for, living in the province with access to very little, no entertainment, minimal everything else, was 35k a month, and we lived like locals no aircon, fans only, no car, bikes only, and still it was expensive.

Wayne  ;D
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 11:18:32 PM »
Here\'s our layout here in Bacolod City:

Monthly Budget
Rent to own from her brother - 1500 Wife owns it.
Electricity (air con, etc) - 2000 No AC, 2 comps, 2 fans, 1 MW, 1 Ref, 1 TV
Fuel/expense (vehicles) -  No vehicle but 3000 for trikes taxis and jeepneys
Propane (cooking) - 160 That\'s 510 for 11kg tank lasting 2.5 mo.
Drinking water (bottled) -600 (19L jugs at 50 each)
House water - 600
Broadband/DSL/Land line PLDT - 1750
Cable/Sat - 0 Not available in this Purok.
Cell phone - Mine Smart Gold 800, Myrlita\'s Smart Buddy 500
Local phone - See DSL
Food (groceries only) - 6000
Food (eating out) - 5000
Household Misc (bug spray, cleaning supplies, etc) - 1000
Personal care (shampoo, toothpaste, etc) - 1000
Entertainment - 0 Unless you count church.
Helpers - 600 Girl does laundry 200 each 3x
Insurance (health) - 100 Philhealth
Immigration fees - 13A
Family assistance - as needed only
Misc - medicines 5000
Total – P29,610   (approx. $630 at approx. 47 to 1)

That\'s taking care of 4 total including 1 teenager in HS
This varies +/- 10%

God Bless
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2009, 05:01:04 AM »
We know personally... that foreigners live comfortably on P20k to P35k a month with AC, cable TV and cable internet and take a hot/cold shower when they want at P10,000 monthly rent.

B-Ray,

I would love to \"live comfortably\" on P20K a month as you posted, but I just can\'t seem to make the numbers fit.  I\'ve copied the P147,000 budget from my post above, absent amounts except for the P10K rent you provided, and it would be very helpful to me if you could fill in the monthly amounts that will total P20K on which \"foreigners live comfortably.\"  Thank you in advance for providing this information.  Tom.       

Monthly Budget 4 adults 1 child
Rent - 9,000
Electricity (aircon, etc) - 4,000 2 a/c, fridge, freezer
Fuel/expense (vehicles) - 1,500
Propane (cooking) - 100
Drinking water (bottled) - 150 - 6 bottles per month 4 adults 1 child
House water - 150
Broadband/DSL - 1200
Cable/Sat - 400
Cell phone - 1000
Local phone - included in DSL
Food (groceries only) - 6,000
Food (eating out) - 5,000
Household Misc (bug spray, cleaning supplies, etc) - 200?
Personal care (shampoo, toothpaste, etc) - 500?
Entertainment -  sporadic
Helpers - 500 washing
Insurance (health) - 1,000
Immigration fees - 1,000 (Balikbayan so one trip a year to Singapore)
Family assistance - 2,000
Family Education - 4,000 2 students in uni, 1 child in private elementary school
Misc - ????
Total – 37-38,000 

I\'m sure there\'s things I\'ve forgotten.......

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2009, 09:59:41 AM »
Thanks for the recent responses concerning my desire to see the alleged $400 monthly budget that allows foreigners to \"live comfortably\" in the Philippines.  Please correct me (and I\'m sure you will  ;D) if I misconstrue anyone\'s posts... but so far its seems we have as follows:

$750 a month --- to live like a local in the province with no entertainment, no aircon, no car and minimal everything else.

$630 a month --- with a $32 (wow!) a month rent, no aircon, no vehicle, no cable/sat, no entertainment, sporadic family assistance

$814 a month --- with $0 budgeted for entertainment, $0 for miscellaneous expenses, $0 for yearly trip to Singapore or other trips -- while holding vehicle fuel/expenses to $32, household misc exp to $4, and helper expense to $10.   

I\'m beginning to believe that my $3,100 budgeted expenses for \"living comfortably\"... at least as I envision \"comfortable living\"... is pretty close to accurate.  However, I hope to see more posts and maybe that $400 budget will show up.

Thanks to all who are contributing to the exchange of information.

Tom

Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2009, 02:03:53 PM »
QUOTE: \"$750 a month --- to live like a local in the province, bla bla.........................\".

Depending on the exchange rate and say usd 47-1 would be 35,250 pesos a month.

To compare with what a local with family in a province would have, goes like this........

If and I say \"IF\", (Big IF), a Pinoy can work 6 days a week for 52 weeks a years taking out the many holidays that this Country and locals have, their monthly income most likely would be ± 10% of the exchange of dollars above.

Now, what picture does that paint with............. LIVING LIKE A LOCAL.......... with an expat living on $750usd a month?

Enjoy your life, as I\'m sure you will Tom, with your $3,100 expenses.  Not normal among the majority rank and file!
B-Ray

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2009, 03:12:58 PM »
Hi Tom,

Here are my expenses that perhaps come a little nearer to your expected lifestyle.

Monthly Budget

This is our total monthly spending and includes our own rented house plus the family house we built seven years ago. This house is for Bings mother, brother and family plus various students whose fees we are paying. This gives a total of five adults and a minimum of four students. We pay for the electricity and water and make a contribution towards the food in the form of an allowance to Bings mother. At the moment we are sending three students to a private school and two to college.

Rent - 15,000
Electricity (aircon, etc) – 8000 for us 1500 for family house
Fuel/expense (vehicles) - 1000
Propane (cooking) - 100
Drinking water (bottled) - 920
House water – 552 for us 620 for family house
Broadband/DSL - 998
Cable/Sat - 825
Cell phone - 600
Local phone - 0
Food (including Household Misc and Personal Care) – 12000 also includes imported food from the Swiss Store
Food (eating out) - 9000
Household Misc (bug spray, cleaning supplies, etc) – see food
Personal care (shampoo, toothpaste, etc) – see food
Entertainment - 0
Helpers - 0
Insurance (health) - 1370
Immigration fees – 13a
Family assistance – 12000
Family Education - 8200
Misc  (Medicine) – 10000
Misc  (Doctors fee) – 300
Misc (Dental check-up) – 100 this does not include any dental work
Misc (Annual Family outing) – 24000 = 2000 per month
Misc (Birthday an Christmas parties) – 2000 per month

Total – P87085 (approx $1853)

Other spending would include clothing, trips to Manila, computer parts etc etc

When we finally get our house built, I will save the 15000 rent, but I an sure there will be other expenses to compensate.

When I moved here, my idea was to both live as comfortably as I can and also help as many of the family as possible within my monthly income (two pensions). Without stating my income, I can do that comfortably now and later hope to expand the help to others. I expect to be able to do this and eat what I want and pursue any hobbies that interest me.

All I can say is that if people come over here on a limited budget, then they will have to live a limited lifestyle. Perhaps that will suit some people, but the sun, sand and Red Horse Beer idea does wear thin very quickly. Most of us that move here are on the elderly side, and medical expenses do soon start to kick in and must be allowed for, and these can be significant. Do not take minimum figures when considering moving here, allow a good margin of reserve.

Colin

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2009, 05:17:09 PM »
$750 a month --- to live like a local in the province with no entertainment, no aircon, no car and minimal everything else.

$630 a month --- with a $32 (wow!) a month rent, no aircon, no vehicle, no cable/sat, no entertainment, sporadic family assistance

$814 a month --- with $0 budgeted for entertainment, $0 for miscellaneous expenses, $0 for yearly trip to Singapore or other trips -- while holding vehicle fuel/expenses to $32, household misc exp to $4, and helper expense to $10.   

QUOTE: \"$750 a month --- to live like a local in the province, bla bla.........................\".
Enjoy your life, as I\'m sure you will Tom, with your $3,100 expenses.  Not normal among the majority rank and file!
B-Ray

B-Ray,

Don\'t shoot the messenger.  I\'m simply gathering and compiling information from others who are kind enough to post their cost of living.  I thought sharing of information was one of the purposes of this Forum. 

The information in my post quoted above is taken from the three posts directly above it... all expats stating their personal experience with respect to the cost of living in the Philippines.  I have no reason to question the truthfulness of their posts, and I appreciate their taking the time to post.

I agree with you that a local family in the province may well have a monthly income of around $75.  That is about what my wife\'s family earns.  However, I do not consider them to be \"living comfortably\" in a lifestyle that many expats would enjoy or hope to copy.  I suspect that the term \"live like a local in the province\" is intended to convey living with minimal creature comforts, such as no aircon, no car, no DSL, etc., rather than literally duplicating the provincial lifestyle.  So, I am not sure what point you are making concerning a local\'s income with respect to the issue of the cost of living for an expat.

I also agree with you that $3,100 is \"not normal among the majority rank and file!\"  As stated in my earlier post, the most common number seems to be around $1,500, with quite a few ranging into the mid $2,000.  The $3,100 figure is not what I intend to spend, but rather appears to be the most, I repeat, the most that would be necessary to spend to maintain a \"near first world country\" middle class lifestyle almost anywhere in the Philippines.  So again, I am not sure why you seem to take issue with me stating that figure. 

I am attempting to quantify the upper limit (within reason) of what expats are actually spending on each of the items listed in the posted budget.  I am not implying that anyone should, could, or would even want to spend the amounts listed for any specific item or in total.   

Now, concerning my personal spending goals, I would like to spend as little as possible to provide myself with what I would consider to be a lifestyle in the Philippines that would be as satisfying to me as the lifestyle I have in the U.S.  Fortunately, that will take a lot less house, 2 less vehicles, 1/4 the furnishings, and at least a Ton of other crap that I am now paying for here in the U.S.  However, a clean, secure, 24/7 aircon house, a reliable aircon vehicle, English TV news channels, high speed internet, frequent dining out with occasional western food, frequent travel within the Philippines, helpers to secure and maintain the house when I am away, and assistance to my wifes family are not expendable.   

So, without seeing what is in an itemized budget for what you believe will allow a \"foreigner to live comfortably\" on $400, with P10,000 being spent on rent, I have no idea how much additional I would have to spend to meet my idea of \"comfortable.\"  Hopefully nothing.  ;D  I do not live in the Philippines... you do.  So I value your information and opinions based on your experience and would appreciate your posting the $400 budget that \"foreigners live comfortably on.\"

Thank you for your prior response.

Tom   

Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH