Author Topic: Cooling the house  (Read 2655 times)

Cooling the house
« on: October 25, 2008, 04:27:14 PM »
We rent a standard Philippine style bungalow with the usual metal roof, uninsulated plywood ceilings and louvered windows. Daytime temperatures are around 32 degrees C dropping to 27 at night. We have a large freestanding split type aircon in the lounge area plus a small window type in my small computer room. My unit is all nearly all day set to no 1 and the lounge unit is set to 27 and only put on in the afternoon to keep the running costs down. We now pay around P7000 a month for electricity, but it has been as high as P9000. We find that the compressor rarely cuts in by around 9.0pm so we then switch it off. We only use a fan in the bedrooms because at 27 we find it comfortable and even have to use a thin sheet in the early hours of the morning. I notice that most new houses here seem to have aircon in the bedrooms and nothing in the daytime living areas. This is something I don\'t understand, perhaps someone could explain the reason for this?

Colin

Re: Cooling the house
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 06:59:02 PM »
During the waking hours a person can find ways to cool off. To get a good nights sleep a person must be comfortable all night.

We only have A/C in the bedroom and use fans in the living areas and all our apartments have A/Cs in the bedrooms only also.

A person sure can not adapt to the climate  if under A/C all day!!

Our housing is much as you describe yours and our electric rarely hits P1,500 a month for the two of us. There are times when we both will hit the bedroom and cool off for an hour or two when the temp gets 32 and above.  But, that\'s when we don\'t have to be doing something except kickback, which is most of the time when I don\'t have a crew working.  ;D
B-Ray

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 09:18:05 PM »
I discovered something that can be VERY useful in lowering your bill.

When I sleep at night I usually run the aircon for 1-2 hours... just enough time to sleep well. Then I have the fan automatically turn on at the exact time the aircon turns off.

This is done with the following device found at Ace/Handyman and other places.

(timer can easily be set to switch from aircon to fan from 1-8 hrs. Select the B setting to run Aircon with no timer)

Cost - about P1.2k

I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 03:20:08 AM »
Very good B-RAY, you cannot get used to the climate  with 24 hour air -con , stillbilly

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 09:02:02 AM »
Very good B-RAY, you cannot get used to the climate  with 24 hour air -con , stillbilly

I don\'t believe anyone would use aircon for 24 hours, I am just asking why use it at night when the temperature is around 27°C. I have got used to that temperature and can sleep comfortably. I can go out for a walk even during the hottest part of the day without any problems but my shirts get very wet. I notice that even Filipinos will put a small towel down their back to soak up the sweat. When the children visit and come for their blessing, I notice that their foreheads are often wet. I don\'t believe that most people fully adjust to the hottest temperatures. I can sit in front of a fan watching the TV at 32°C but if I try to do anything physical I have to stop after 20 minutes to cool down. If you can afford to make your house more comfortable, then why not?

Colin

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 10:38:55 AM »
\"If you can afford to make your house more comfortable, then why not?\"

NO problem with that statement guy!

Your high bill is almost the cost of one of our monthly furnaced rental and so far no foreigner has gone over P1,800 in a month on electric.

I\'m NOT knocking your life style!! Just, IMO, (because I can\'t afford), your spending a whole lot of money for electric. Another factor might be, your cost for electric is higher then ours??

Another factor is, we have a devise on the AC that cuts the meter rotation a bit more then half when used. How it does that is unknown, it just works. Numbers rolling half as fast is money in the pocket!  ;D
B-Ray

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 11:05:50 AM »
Those devices are a life saver ! A few months ago someone posted information on how to make these yourself (probably under P100) and not have to pay the P2000 price to buy one retail !
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 11:20:07 AM »
These electric bills vary widely within the Philippines.

In another message board about 2 months ago, we were comparing our electric bills, and what we actually pay per KWH for electicity for where we live. Here are some of the costs for different places in the PI:

I live in Bacolod: Lots and lots of various charges, fees, and taxes on these electric bills.

But, the bottom line after all is said and done ... is that I used 758 KWH of electricity last month and the total charge on the bottom of the bill was 4,167 pesos.

Divide that and you get an \'out the door\' cost of

5.5 pesos per KWH in Bacolod City .... (or 11.3 cents USD per KWH at todays exchange rate)

7.8 pesos per KWH in Cebu

6.3 pesos per KWH in Angeles City

9.0 pesos per KWH in Malate / Manila

Now, this was a couple of months ago, and the charges seem to change from month to month.
Out of Stock Sir !

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 11:53:18 AM »
\"If you can afford to make your house more comfortable, then why not?\"

NO problem with that statement guy!

Your high bill is almost the cost of one of our monthly furnaced rental and so far no foreigner has gone over P1,800 in a month on electric.

I\'m NOT knocking your life style!! Just, IMO, (because I can\'t afford), your spending a whole lot of money for electric. Another factor might be, your cost for electric is higher then ours??

Another factor is, we have a devise on the AC that cuts the meter rotation a bit more then half when used. How it does that is unknown, it just works. Numbers rolling half as fast is money in the pocket!  ;D
B-Ray

I believe our electricity cherges are high, there are a lot of added taxes on the final bill. The other factor is that I have my computer on all day together with the small aircon in my room. The monitor is a 19 inch CRT which gets quite hot. I prefer this type to the flat screens for editing photographs. As well as no ceiling insulation and a low metal roof, there are a lot of large lourvered windows that leek air like a sieve. I have sealed the ones in my room with plastic sheet, but don\'t want to do that in the louge because it prevents them being opened.

It is a long time since I was involved in power engineering and I believe I know how the capacitors work, but I am surprised that they are so effective for such small values. Also they are illegal in the UK because you are considered to be cheating the electricity company. But this is the Philippines  ;D

Colin

Offline Manila Cockney

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 02:22:30 PM »
These electric bills vary widely within the Philippines.

In another message board about 2 months ago, we were comparing our electric bills, and what we actually pay per KWH for electicity for where we live. Here are some of the costs for different places in the PI:

I live in Bacolod: Lots and lots of various charges, fees, and taxes on these electric bills.

But, the bottom line after all is said and done ... is that I used 758 KWH of electricity last month and the total charge on the bottom of the bill was 4,167 pesos.

Divide that and you get an \'out the door\' cost of

5.5 pesos per KWH in Bacolod City .... (or 11.3 cents USD per KWH at todays exchange rate)

7.8 pesos per KWH in Cebu

6.3 pesos per KWH in Angeles City

9.0 pesos per KWH in Malate / Manila

Now, this was a couple of months ago, and the charges seem to change from month to month.

In Manila we have to pay a subsidy which goes to those living in the outlying islands. So if you meet me dont forget to buy me a beer as a thanks.