Author Topic: Any good use for the Muratic Acid they sell here?  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
Any good use for the Muratic Acid they sell here?
« on: October 27, 2008, 09:51:04 AM »
I keep seeing bottles of muratic acid in all the stores over here.

Well, in the US, muratic acid is \"pool acid\". It\'s used to adjust the PH level in swimming pools. Usually bought in one gallon plastic jugs.

I was thinking to myself ... Hey, there are not very many Filipinos that have swimming pools in there backyard, so why all the bottles of muratic acid in the stores?

I asked my wife what they use it for ... She tells me that it\'s used to clean the dark colored water strains in the toilet bowl left by the dirty water here in the Phils.

Great idea! ... I have some dark colored stains in the toilet bowl that can\'t even be removed with lots of cleanser and scrubbing, so I go buy a bottle of acid.

Turned the water valve off on the toilet and managed to get most of the water out of the bowl ... poured this strong stuff (for God\'s sakes, don\'t get this on your hands or in your eyes) into the toilet and let it stay there for about an hour ... then poured more in there .... NOTHING! ... Scrubbed a little, and still nothing!

It didn\'t do a thing! .... Has anyone ever had luck using this stuff that seems so popular here in the Phils?

If you have any children in the house, the very last thing you want is a bottle of this acid around ... If the kids ever get the cap off that bottle, the results will be horrible! ..... FACT
Out of Stock Sir !

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Any good use for the Muratic Acid they sell here?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 11:38:58 AM »
Muratic acid is also used to clean leftover cement and grout from tiles and masonry when they were not cleaned properly at the time they were set.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 12:27:22 PM »
This acid is generally used in cleaning swimming pools. But, I have found that using it on rusty chrome bicycle frames to work well if not left on to long, then rinse and polish. Otherwise it will turn the chrome dull.

Some have said they use it to clean the towlet perfectly clean, but that will harm the finish in time and KILL the septic action making it just a holding tank and who know about the ground water??

Some peoples better ideas?????
B-Ray

Offline imtheredrum

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 05:47:54 PM »
I too used the Muriatic to clean grout and cement film from tiles.  If you do use it in your drain systems... like cleaning the tiles in the bathrooms or anyplace where it can get into your septic system, make sure you flush a box of baking soda down the head... it will help to neutralize the acid in your tank and allow the growth of bacteria to continue it\'s job there.

On another note, I returned to the PI on Oct 7th, married my honey on the 24th and am back in Bohol... now the visits will be reversed, if I ever do go back... LOL. ;D
..                                \ \ \ | / / /
..                                  ( @ @~)
Jeff & Ritz  -----o00o-(. .)-o00o-----

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 11:09:22 PM »
Congrats .... my friend!
Out of Stock Sir !

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 01:24:32 AM »
GRATZ  TO YOU AND YOUR ASAWA !!!

Yes, the acid is COMMONLY used to clean the bathroom areas and tile and ANYTHING ceramic.

NOTE: Repeated use will destroy the lusture of your ceramics. It is not as nice as \"Scrubbing Bubbles\" but its readily available here...

Now I have to find something to bring the shine back to those countertops, toilet bowls and flooring!
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline Beatle

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 05:08:15 AM »
I too used the Muriatic to clean grout and cement film from tiles.  If you do use it in your drain systems... like cleaning the tiles in the bathrooms or anyplace where it can get into your septic system, make sure you flush a box of baking soda down the head... it will help to neutralize the acid in your tank and allow the growth of bacteria to continue it\'s job there.

On another note, I returned to the PI on Oct 7th, married my honey on the 24th and am back in Bohol... now the visits will be reversed, if I ever do go back... LOL. ;D

Jeff,
      Congratulations on your move and marriage!  best wishes on both!  I hope we will get the chance to see some photos of your special day.

Ray
If you treat a servant like a servant, you will lead a alone. But if you treat a servant like a leader, multitudes will follow.  Beatle