Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Moving to the Philippines  (Read 2375 times)

zero1944

Moving to the Philippines
« on: October 30, 2008, 10:15:42 AM »
I am retired from the US Army (1981) and need to know what I need to move to the Philippines...I have a passport and draw VA disability and social security.I bank with bank of America.I am eager to get started so please respond ASAP thanks zero1944

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Moving to the Philippines
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 09:52:50 PM »
I am retired from the US Army (1981) and need to know what I need to move to the Philippines...I have a passport and draw VA disability and social security.I bank with bank of America.I am eager to get started so please respond ASAP thanks zero1944

Zero,

Welcome to LinPC!  What do you need?  A plane ticket, your clothes and a place to land!   ;D  You\'ll receive an automatic 21 day visa, which can be extended basically every two months for up to 18 months, maybe 2 years, if you qualify.  You can also get an extended visa beforehand good for 59 days, which you will still need to extend every two months. 

You\'ll need to tell your bank you\'ll be going to the Philippines and using your debit/credit card(s) so they don\'t block it\'s use.  You can open a bank account in the Philippines and have both your disability check and SS check direct deposited there, if you choose.  Most banks in the RP (Republika ng Pilipinas) will assist you with the paperwork.  Or you can have your check deposited into your US bank, and then write a check to deposit into your RP bank, as long as you understand it may take a month for the check to clear.  YMMV depending on the bank you choose.

More detailed questions will receive more detailed answers from our other members.  I also suggest you read the other boards on LinPC to gain much needed info previously posted.

Welcome to the group!

Jack
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I and all of our grandchildren.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 12:44:27 PM »
Jack,
What I do is use my US ATM card to withdraw the cash then do a cash deposit in my RP account. No waiting. God Bless.....
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

zero1944

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 08:30:24 AM »
Hey thanks for the info  :) is there a way I can stay with out all the extensions? I am with bank of america and they have a branch in Manila...I still want to do a little more checking with them to make sure. :)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 06:46:47 AM »
Hey thanks for the info  :) is there a way I can stay with out all the extensions? I am with bank of america and they have a branch in Manila...I still want to do a little more checking with them to make sure. :)

Are you married to a Filipina?   
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH