Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: My House  (Read 6507 times)

Offline ricemannv

• Sr Member
My House
« on: December 30, 2008, 09:45:20 AM »
I built this house five years ago for about 10,000,000 pesos total cost.  It has five bedrooms and five bathrooms.  One of the bathrooms is at the back of the house near the swimming pool and change room.  The lot is 1000 square meters with a perimeter concrete fence.  There is a two car carport with roller doors on the front so you can close it to the street.  I also have two deep wells on the property.

Front of house:

Back of house:

Riceman

Re: My House
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 01:10:48 PM »
That is a great looking house. Any chance of a basic break down on the prices and a rough cost per square metre? I would be particularly interested in the cost of the pool. Did you use an architect, if so, what were his fees?

Colin

Offline ricemannv

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 04:36:04 PM »
That is a great looking house. Any chance of a basic break down on the prices and a rough cost per square metre? I would be particularly interested in the cost of the pool. Did you use an architect, if so, what were his fees?

Colin

Colin,

I don\'t have detailed breakdown of cost.  We did the pool after the original build with they same architect/contractor.  It cost around 1.5 million pesos.  It is built to last a long time with lots of steel reinforced concrete. 

The architect charged 120,000 pesos for the original design and plans.  I then paid him 15,000 pesos/month to oversee construction.  We changed some things along the way, but stayed close to the original design.  The construction took 13 months.

Riceman

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 08:34:13 PM »
Riceman ...

Very nice looking house! ... Fantastic looking pool!

Kinda reminds me of a house that would look perfect if placed somewhere in Virginia (don\'t know why, but that\'s what it reminded me when I first looked at the photos)

5 bathrooms and 5 bedrooms? ..... Seems like a little over-kill on the bathrooms.

Anyway ..... Great looking house .... very nice!
Out of Stock Sir !

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 08:42:21 PM »
Riceman ....

BTW, I am in the middle of building a new house here in the Bacolod City area myself ... Ayala \'North Point\' subdivision

300 sq. meters (3,215 sq. feet .. under roof)
243 sq. meters (2,616 sq. feet .. living area)

2 story / Spanish Mediteranian style / 2 full bath + 1 half bath / 2 car covered garage

Lot: 3.2 million

House: 5.8 million

Total Cost: 9.0 million

Architect Drawing

1st Floor Plan

2nd Floor Plan

Since you built yours, construction costs have gone up a little ... but lot prices have skyrocketed! (at least in gated subdivisions)

Out of Stock Sir !

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 09:45:38 PM »

Colin

Colin,

I don\'t have detailed breakdown of cost.  We did the pool after the original build with they same architect/contractor.  It cost around 1.5 million pesos.  It is built to last a long time with lots of steel reinforced concrete. 

The architect charged 120,000 pesos for the original design and plans.  I then paid him 15,000 pesos/month to oversee construction.  We changed some things along the way, but stayed close to the original design.  The construction took 13 months.

Riceman

Thanks for the information. We had a quote of approx P1M for a very modest pool a year ago, but that was from a contractor that we were considering using but dropped him because his prices were too steep. I am attempting to design the house using a programme called Chief Architect, a steep learning curve  :(  but I will need an architect to adjust it to Philippine style construction.

Colin

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 10:01:28 PM »
Riceman ....

BTW, I am in the middle of building a new house here in the Bacolod City area myself ... Ayala \'North Point\' subdivision

2 story / Spanish Mediteranian style / 2 full bath + 1 half bath / 2 car covered garage

Architect Drawing

1st Floor Plan

2nd Floor Plan

Since you built yours, construction costs have gone up a little ... but lot prices have skyrocketed! (at least in gated subdivisions)

I am working on the design of Spanish holiday villa style house of around 300 square metres living area, 4 bedrooms plus 4 bathrooms and a separate study plus workshop. I will attempt to get the cost down to around P5M, but expect it to end up nearer P7M. We have just added to our original lot and now have 3000 square metres for a total cost of P2M. Not in a subdivision, but a nice area.

Colin

Offline ricemannv

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 07:24:17 AM »
Riceman ....

Architect Drawing

1st Floor Plan

2nd Floor Plan

Nice looking place.  I hope it comes out well! 

My house is out in the province and not in a gated subdivision.  I do have a gated lot though. ;).  We got the lot from a bank forclosure.

Riceman

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 10:56:02 AM »
Architect Drawing of the front. I don\'t see the \"roll up doors\" for the garage that you talk about.  Do you have them 3 sided to enclose? Or was major changes made to that design?

I\'ve seen the same style for sale in Mexico many years ago online, but for $10m USDs at 10 to 1 exchange, not RP Pesos at what, 50 to 1?  ;D

You must have a very large family to support also, to build such a large lovely house?
B-Ray

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 11:21:09 AM »
B-Ray ...

No roll-up garage doors.

Everyone here in the Phils calls it a garage (that\'s what I said too). In fact, it\'s a 2 car covered carport to be exact.

Of course, they call a covered patio a \"covered veranda\" too.

As far as the house size, I don\'t have a large family at all (and I personally don\'t believe in live-in maids) ... but I didn\'t want to go much smaller in this subdivision. It\'s one of the smaller houses as it is right now.

To get an idea ...
The master bedroom is 5.00 x 5.00 meters (16’ 5” x 16’ 5”)
The 3 bedrooms upstairs are all 5.00 x 4.50 meters (16’ 5” x 14’ 9”)

Here is the real problem building a fairly expensive house in this country .... If you ever want to sell it, where is the buyer? ... Your average Filipino don\'t have the money, and the rich Filipinos that do in fact have that kind of money will normally build an expensive house to there specs and not want a house built for someone else. There becomes the problem that has few answers!

Hey folks ... I don\'t mean to highjack this thread by any means

Out of Stock Sir !

Offline ricemannv

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 12:21:51 PM »
Here is the real problem building a fairly expensive house in this country .... If you ever want to sell it, where is the buyer? ... Your average Filipino don\'t have the money, and the rich Filipinos that do in fact have that kind of money will normally build an expensive house to there specs and not want a house built for someone else. There becomes the problem that has few answers!

Of course you are correct in this regard.  I don\'t think I could sell my house for anything near what I paid for it.  I have known some Filipinos who loaned their large homes to the bank and then simply walked away with no intension of repaying.  That was about all they were going to get out of them.

The one exception may be a house in Forbes Park or Dasirminas Village in Quezon City or somewhere like that, but I don\'t really know for sure.

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 10:20:18 PM »

Of course you are correct in this regard.  I don\'t think I could sell my house for anything near what I paid for it.  I have known some Filipinos who loaned their large homes to the bank and then simply walked away with no intension of repaying.  That was about all they were going to get out of them.

The one exception may be a house in Forbes Park or Dasirminas Village in Quezon City or somewhere like that, but I don\'t really know for sure.

I think that any money spent on a house here should realisticaly be considered a write off. Most of us on this forum are well past our prime so we should make the most of our money while we can, we can\'t take it with us. Our wives will benefit and after that it will be a problem for younger members of the family to sell up and share the proceeds.

Colin

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 12:39:17 AM »
I think that any money spent on a house here should realisticaly be considered a write off. Most of us on this forum are well past our prime so we should make the most of our money while we can, we can\'t take it with us. Our wives will benefit and after that it will be a problem for younger members of the family to sell up and share the proceeds.

Colin

I\'m with Colin on this one.  Whatever I put into a house in the Philippines will be primarily for my wife, Gloria.  Although I\'ll use it while I\'m still walking around on this globe, after I\'m gone, it will all be hers.  She plans to live there until the end.  After that, it will probably be left to a sister or favored niece.  It will, most likely, remain with family.
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 09:08:53 AM »
I think that any money spent on a house here should realistically be considered a write off. Most of us on this forum are well past our prime so we should make the most of our money while we can, we can\'t take it with us. Our wives will benefit and after that it will be a problem for younger members of the family to sell up and share the proceeds.

Colin

I\'m with Colin on this one.  Whatever I put into a house in the Philippines will be primarily for my wife, Gloria.  Although I\'ll use it while I\'m still walking around on this globe, after I\'m gone, it will all be hers.  She plans to live there until the end.  After that, it will probably be left to a sister or favored niece.  It will, most likely, remain with family.

Drifting off the thread even further  ;D While we were with our attorneys buying our second lot I asked why my name was be on the title, so she explained the Philippine succession laws. If my wife were to die before me, I would legally own the property then after me, because we have no children, it would automatically go to my two daughter from my previous marriage. This I found rather surprising, but she is a well respected and popular attorney and her father is a retired judge and she has a sister and brother-in-law both attorneys. Another interesting point was that if we died together the the property would be shared between Bings four brothers and sister and my two brothers. That would cause some complications  ;D All of this assumes that we have not made out a will, so that seems to be a necessity.

Colin

Offline ricemannv

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 09:53:45 AM »

Drifting off the thread even further  ;D While we were with our attorneys buying our second lot I asked why my name was be on the title, so she explained the Philippine succession laws. If my wife were to die before me, I would legally own the property then after me, because we have no children, it would automatically go to my two daughter from my previous marriage. This I found rather surprising, but she is a well respected and popular attorney and her father is a retired judge and she has a sister and brother-in-law both attorneys. Another interesting point was that if we died together the the property would be shared between Bings four brothers and sister and my two brothers. That would cause some complications  ;D All of this assumes that we have not made out a will, so that seems to be a necessity.

Colin

My understanding of the law was that a foriegner spouse can inherit land.  However the following succession must be back to a Filipino national.

Riceman