Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: first trip to the Philippines  (Read 1639 times)

Offline markmetz57

first trip to the Philippines
« on: August 13, 2009, 05:29:24 PM »
Just arrived back from my first trip to the Philippines and southeast Asia
flew to Manila- then to Ho Chi Minh city for 4 days, then back to Manila.  Was in Laguna several days for my friends birthday then south to Cebu city,  from Cebu City to Ozamis, Mindanao, then Cagayan, then Camiguin, then northern Mindanao-  Butuan and Surigao.  then the ferry to Leyte,  to Palo beach where my Father landed in WWII with MacAuthur in the US army,  through the rest of leyte,  then samar Island then the southern part of Luzon back to Laguna.
Had great time over 23 days in the Phils.  Saw a lot of new things and new culture, ate a lot of new things :D
I didn\'t get to do a lot of things I wanted to - I bit off more travel than i realized.  it often takes so long to travel on buses and vans.  Hurry up and wait, flat tires, breakdowns.
Almost everyone is friendly and wants to help out the american.
didn\'t experience any theft of threat
North Mindanao seemed safe never felt a threat from terrorism-- saw only one other westerner in 7 days in Mindanao.
But expected and found you have to have a different attitude cause things just don\'t work like they do here! 
Loved the food- ate mostly - turo-turos stayed away from Mcdonalds and Jolibees. tried Balut, durian,all kinds of fish, seafoods etc...... Rode on Habal-habals, mini buses, human powered and motoricycle trikes, Jeeps, big buses, small buses   
I would like to go back next summer and see Mindoro, Bohol, Palawan, Negros, and the Northern half of Luzon.

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
Re: first trip to the Philippines
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 06:04:51 PM »
Pls send copy of your trip report to State Dept......they will surely advise what you did wrong  ;D

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: first trip to the Philippines
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 05:08:20 AM »
Great briefing of your trip!  How about taking one city/place at a time and expanding on your experience for each?  Our visitors and others who haven\'t made the trip yet would benefit greatly for any details you care to give of each spot you stopped.  Take any pictures?  Include one or two of those as well, if you can.

Glad you had a great trip!  I look forward to hearing more details from you soon!
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH