Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: \"Professional\" Pinoy hollow block work (pics)  (Read 4813 times)

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
\"Professional\" Pinoy hollow block work (pics)
« on: February 04, 2009, 12:13:48 PM »
\'How NOT to Lay Hollow Block\'

The photos below were taken by me as I was driving though a newly constructed housing area close to where I am now renting. I just had to stop and take these photos.

Well, if you have ever seen brick layers in action here in the Philippines, you might have seen something that looks like this:

They just cover up all this mess with cement morter, and magically there is a nice looking smooth wall ... Kinda like sweeping the dirt under the rug ... Out of sight - Out of mind!

Of course, much of it has to do with using very poor quality hollow block, but you gotta admit ... it looks very rough!

Now compare what a quality hollow block job looks like (I believe this is in the US):

I am having a house built here in Bacolod right now. Although the brick work does not match the quality found in the US, it certainly looks 100% better than the work being done in those top 2 photos. It might be the fact that my builder is using a higher quality of hollow block and/or my block masons actually have an idea what they are doing. My guess is that the hollow blocks are of better quality.

I am posting this to let you know that you really need to be alert for workmanship and materials when you do decide to build over here in the Phils.

Ron,
Out of Stock Sir !

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
Re: \"Professional\" Pinoy hollow block work (pics)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 12:48:23 PM »
Bricklaying in europe is falling in quality too, not only due to the cheap labour from eastern europe, but east europeans who\'ve been in the west a couple of years set up their own construction crews and quality goes even further downhill.......
I wouldn\'t put my dog or even your cat in some of the construction I\'ve seen

Even the top photo of your US ones wouldn\'t pass a simple string level test........it\'s part of the slap it up quick mentality.

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 12:13:20 PM »
You are also using cement posts too anchor your cement blocks too. I have seen in poorer neighborhoods that they use bamboo for metal rods in their walls. Dick

Bamboo reinforced cement is fine if bamboo is treated first......google it!

Offline lwood

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 05:01:33 PM »
We may have to lower our expectations here.† I have built a house here and am currently constructing two additional guest rooms.† Yes some people will stretch the cement to 60 blocks and they will crumble.† However, most masons here know the correct mix for good hollow blocks.† The hollow blocks in the first two photos are obviously poor quality.† They are very porous and they are all broken and pieced together.† You probably could crush these hb with your bare hands.† Also consider the overall construction.† In the first two photos: they are not even using support columns and beams.† This construction will be lucky to survive the next typhoon.

Conversely, Ron\'s construction is much more typical of sound Filipino construction.† But you will never get the US quality of hb work here in RP.† But is that level of quality really necessary?† Ron\'s construction looks better than most just from the photos.† Yes, the hollow block formulation is important that is why I would fabricate the hb on site.† First, you have more control over the mix and you break a lot in transport.† However, fabricating hb takes time which you or your builder may not want to take.† I think Ron has a builder doing his house so he doesn\'t really have to watch things this closely, although he can if he wants.† If you are watching this you can tell the foreman what you want and they will do it that way.† The proof is in the pudding.† If they can be picked up without breaking apart or crumble in your hand.† They should have a slight even glossy appearance not extremely porous.† This of course is after a minimum of a week cure-time.† If your having them delivered, see how much breakage you have.†

That said, the hollow blocks are not really structural, unless you use them as in the first two photos :D† The hb really just fills in the space btw the posts and beams.† HB do add to the strength of a building particularly if your finish the hb.† But it should not be the primary structural component.† A post and beam, properly architect ed is a very strong structure.† Much stronger than stick construction as in the US.

If you have a good foreman that you can trust. the possibilities are endless here in the Philippines.† You can do a lot yourself, with an architect\'s blessings and a good crew of workers.† The pinoy way of doing things is different and not necessarily lower quality.† If you keep an eye on some important details, this construction can be much stronger than many other types of construction.† Thanks Ron for the interesting pics and important information for those building or gong to build.†  

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 09:22:48 PM »
they are not even using support columns and beams.† This construction will be lucky to survive the next typhoon.

Everyone knows support columns and beams are optional... The place I rented from my \"Ms. Sun\" got a new addition... I was convinced there would be no colums for awhile... then some rebar showed up!† :P

I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 02:21:06 PM »
Here`s a picture of one of our construction projects in Cavite..
This was built to resist 8 on the richter scale..All posts are tied together at foundation level to create a reinforced concrete grid..This system also cures any future problems with subsidence etc.
All concrete and blocks were lab tested before large pours etc.
As you can see..Absolutely no need for lintels above doors and windows as the blocks are tied to the posts and beams and to each other with rebar..

Fred.

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 06:48:35 PM »

Fred.. that looks sooo familiar... can you see Robinsons from your unit? If so I was there about a year ago but I couldnt get fast enough internet at that location so I had to pass† :P But you guys were great and exemplary landlords.
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 01:03:57 PM »

Fred.. that looks sooo familiar... can you see Robinsons from your unit? If so I was there about a year ago but I couldnt get fast enough internet at that location so I had to pass† :P But you guys were great and exemplary landlords.

What a small world!
You would have been dealing with my bro in law,Darwin..(I`ll pass on your complimentary words)
I was there for a brief period a year ago but its possible we may have passed each other..
We have the standard Smart connection but I will see what I can do about something faster ASAP..
Sorry about that!!

Yes..You can see Robinsons..

Best regards,

Fred.

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 01:15:22 PM »
This was built to resist 8 on the richter scale..All posts are tied together at foundation level to create a reinforced concrete grid..This system also cures any future problems with subsidence etc.
All concrete and blocks were lab tested before large pours etc.
As you can see..Absolutely no need for lintels above doors and windows as the blocks are tied to the posts and beams and to each other with rebar..

Fred.

Fred, I would be interested to know how the concrete stairs were formed. I need to have them in my house because we have a particularly nasty form of termite here on Palawan and need to keep wood to a minimum.

Colin

I missed them do the form work for that Colin.. Its a standard concrete stair case† here..If you show it to your engineer he can take care of the rest and will explain in detail the way it goes together..
I bet the termites you are referring to are Bok bok.. They can be a real nightmare. I have noticed however that a protective coat of wood saver keeps them off..† With the type of house that you are proposing to build I suspect it would be unlikely they would ever get in..
Gemilina is the wood to use as it pretty much Bok bok resistant in my experience.

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 01:28:12 PM »
WOW, where is the rebar to tie the block walls to the colums and the beams to support those big opening? Doesn\'t look like much rebar in the walls either?

The Pinoy ways sure are a lot different there then here! Or, is it just the contractor?????
B-Ray†

they are not even using support columns and beams.† This construction will be lucky to survive the next typhoon.

Everyone knows support columns and beams are optional... The place I rented from my \"Ms. Sun\" got a new addition... I was convinced there would be no colums for awhile... then some rebar showed up!† :P

Yeah..Not looking good is it?
Looks like either the picture is warped or those so called posts and blocks are leaning inwards!
Dont drink and build !