Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Is Angeles City Safe to visit?  (Read 6199 times)

Offline jminoki

Is Angeles City Safe to visit?
« on: February 18, 2009, 09:08:12 PM »
My friend and I are supposed to meet up soon in Angeles City. It\'s been a long time since I was there. I have read and heard from multiple sources that the situation in Angeles regarding cops shaking down foreigners/tourists is getting out of hand. Faking charges of trying to buy marijuana, underaged girls etc. Guy sitting at a restaurant had a small packet of weed tossed on his table, costing him $2,000 to avoid being arrested. The latest I read was to avoid the sidewalk vendors, as some of them are in on it too. There is a whole website talking about this.
I\'m not worried about the underaged girl scam, but would prefer to eat and drink in peace. I know to be careful and watch your surroundings regarding normal criminal activity.
Should we stay away? Or go, have fun, but be very careful of the police?

Thanks

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
Re: Is Angeles City Safe to visit?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 07:53:57 AM »
jminoki

I live in the RP as  retired combat Veteran, 61 years young myself i still think at times, but of course with age comes some calming down settling down and a real understanding of , no am not all i was i could be at 19...as i am at 61. Just some words of my old opinion looking at your posting from both your side and mine.

First everyone, or almost everyone can figure out why probably two young single guys want to go to Angles City, for the girls right. Well for me I think that a OK thing and something that has been going on since the beginning of time.

If your worried about trouble with the police a few words of caution, not only with police in the Philippines, for i don\'t find them no more \"bad\" than other police of some place like Angles City in the USA. They know why you are there, and the girls certainly do, you don\'t need to impress them with all the extra blink blink, such as wide gold necklaces and Rolex  watches , they are only impressed on with what is in your wallet.So don\'t add any pressure to yourself by being over dressed like some Hollywood Movie stars.I am sure both of you are good looking physically attractive guys, but not to bust your bubble but the hunch back of Notre Dame could pick up a girl in the bars at Angles City.

Also watch how much you drink and how drunk you are, for the police like anywhere tend to go after victims who appear drunk more than sober one for they know they might be able to put the fear of jail in their minds unless paid off. Try smiling and being polite both to the police and the bar help included the bar keeps for a few extra pesos tips they have been know to look after foreigners in a good way.Sit at the bar first if you can, take your time and don\'t pick the first beautiful girl who comes up and ask you to buy them a drink, for you might just buy it for her and she take it back to her table where her boyfriends waits.

In short I say , go for it, have fun, enjoy yourself, Angles City is certainly not Disney Land but more like Las Vegas, things that happen there don\'t always stay there and could follow you for the rest of your life. On the other hand you might have the time of your life, have no difficulties go home a lot more poorer but happier ready for planning on the plane trip home your next visit.

Have fun, but be safe.

The \"Murf\"

Offline jminoki

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 08:47:15 AM »
Just to clarify, I\'m married and live in Bacolod. I am not going to Angeles for the girls. I cant say the same about my friend :)  I tried to get my friend to go somewhere else, but he wants to see Angeles.
Hopefully, I can keep him out of trouble :D But he would be the perfect target for the scams the cops are apparently doing to tourists there recently.

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 03:18:08 PM »
Sorry to imply that it was you going there for the girls and i am happy to see you happily married living here.

I think it wonderful of you to help your friend out by trying to take him someplace difference but if he has his heart set on it I guess all you can do is the best you can using your knowledge of the customs of the Philippines to look after him,

I salute your dedication to this friend of yours for he has a good one in you.

The Murf

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 08:59:07 AM »
Just to clarify, I\'m married and live in Bacolod. I am not going to Angeles for the girls. I cant say the same about my friend :)  I tried to get my friend to go somewhere else, but he wants to see Angeles.
Hopefully, I can keep him out of trouble :D But he would be the perfect target for the scams the cops are apparently doing to tourists there recently.

Im in the same situation... Married and living here in NCR but a 58year old (Robert Plant lookalike) retired friend is visiting tomorrow from USA and were taking him to see Baguio.
He asked a few times to see Angeles City but I have never been there and if my asawa\'s family hears that we went there then they would be questioning me for days   ???

I will just have to hope he finds his way there without us.
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 12:55:47 PM »
Take them (friends) to Subic first, they\'ll want to spend all their time there

http://visitsubic.com/todo.html

http://visitsubic.com/night.html/

Offline jminoki

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 06:10:06 PM »

Thanks, I thought about that too. Maybe my friend will agree. He\'s ex-Navy at that. I left Angeles a week before Pinatubo blew, never been back,  and never really had any thoughts about going back there. We could always take a trip to Angeles from there if needed.
There is just too many people, too many different different sources, saying there is a problem with tourists being targeted by rogue police elements in Angeles over the last few months to make it worthwhile going there I think. Although, it may be getting better due to the amount of attention put on it lately.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 10:32:01 PM »

Thanks, I thought about that too. Maybe my friend will agree. He\'s ex-Navy at that. I left Angeles a week before Pinatubo blew, never been back,  and never really had any thoughts about going back there. We could always take a trip to Angeles from there if needed.
There is just too many people, too many different different sources, saying there is a problem with tourists being targeted by rogue police elements in Angeles over the last few months to make it worthwhile going there I think. Although, it may be getting better due to the amount of attention put on it lately.

jminoki,

Let\'s set the record straight right here, right now.  You said:  \"There is just too many people, too many different different sources, saying there is a problem with tourists being targeted by rogue police elements in Angeles over the last few months...\"

Hearsay!  Nothing but hearsay!  I have tried to find these sources you allude to, but in all of my research I can find nothing that backs up your allegations.  My take on this is that you apparently want to hear that there is trouble in Angeles City so that you don\'t have to go.   ;)   If you are so afraid of trouble there, then don\'t go, for gosh sakes!   ;D

There is a substantial police contingent in Angeles City as there is in most large cities in the Philippines, and for good reasons.  But if you, or your friend, place nice, are polite, don\'t flash large amounts of cash around, don\'t act like you are God\'s gift to women and in general don\'t act like a typical foreigner jerk, most likely you won\'t run into the problems you seem to think run rampant in the city. 

Of course this is just my humble opinion.  I may be wrong.  I would appreciate it if you would share these \"other sources\" with the rest of us.  I certainly don\'t want to tell our guests that Angeles City is okay if it is really a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah.   ::) ;D
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline steve in colorado

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 02:19:33 AM »
I lived in A/C for two years but that was back in the 70\'s we didn\'t have these rogue cops running loose in the city back then. A really good friend that I\'ve known for 32 years now retired to A/C in June of 2007 mostly because of the bar scene there (he\'s single now) he hasn\'t had any of these problems and he spends a lot of his time out and about the area.

I wouldn\'t hestitate to visit the area.

Steve

Offline rainymike

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 04:49:14 AM »
Well, Angeles City has an international reputation that grew out of it being near to an American military base - which tends to cause red light districts to prosper. The redlight district continues even though the American presence is now gone.

Having lived in towns supported by a military presence both in the US and overseas, redlight districts tend to be areas that probably carry higher risks for tourists who don\'t know their way around. But Angeles City is much more than that area alone. There is a regular and growing economy there as well and makes up for most of what Angeles City really is.

So depends what you are going to do. If you plan to chase very young looking girls on the street or in the bars, I imagine there is a risk that you expose yourself to being caught in some kind of scam. If you plan to gamble, drink yourself senseless, walk through high risk areas in town without using some common sense, hang at places where people do drugs -- I definitely think that you are at risk.

On the other hand, if you are smart and carefully pick what you do and where you go, then no, I don\'t think the risk is greater than any other city in the RP.

Depending on what you want to do there, you could walk away feeling that it is a town that is rapidly growing, with a lot of nice subdivisions springing up nearby, and brand new malls, and a lot of foreign investment and very nice people that would be a nice place to live. On the other hand, if you spend all your time on the other side of the tracks, you\'ll walk away with another view of Angeles City.

Really no different from any growing town or big city anywhere else that has a large population of military or tourists who come and go with a lot of money to spend.

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 09:43:59 AM »
...tell our guests that Angeles City is ...really a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah.   ::) ;D

Sorry for the quote, but I couldnt help it after spending all morning reviewing legal filings for a case in USA twisting quotes in the exact same manner  :P

But.. I admit... I never went to Angeles City  (AC) because until this day I feel that:

AC = BAR/NITELIFE/GIMIK

On the other hand we know of other places like Atlantic City or Las Vegas - many think gambling, yet there is a nice retirement community there in Vegas...
But if someone says they are going to Las Vegas we dont usually say
\"ooh, youre going there to retire?\" We usually say \"ooh youre going for some gambline fun\"

I know theres probably a lot to AC... but I personally never went there because the only formula I learned is

AC = BAR/NITELIFE/GIMIK

From what I hear GMA wants to change that and make the area more family oriented and a major airport hub as well. So - for those who want the Nitelife... it may be your last years/decade/etc to do so In AC

The president GMA a Pampanga native with relatives working as politicians there to this day?

Cleaning the place up and getting rid of the drugs and roumored rampant sextrade by giving the workers new opportunities in new malls, airports, resorts just may be what shes after.

Either way... I have no plans to go there - unless they get the SCI-FI channel programming on TV...
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline jminoki

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 05:56:04 PM »

jminoki,

Let\'s set the record straight right here, right now.  You said:  \"There is just too many people, too many different different sources, saying there is a problem with tourists being targeted by rogue police elements in Angeles over the last few months...\"

Hearsay!  Nothing but hearsay!  I have tried to find these sources you allude to, but in all of my research I can find nothing that backs up your allegations.  My take on this is that you apparently want to hear that there is trouble in Angeles City so that you don\'t have to go.   ;)   If you are so afraid of trouble there, then don\'t go, for gosh sakes!   ;D

Well, Harry the Horse reported on some of this . The Margarita Station monthly newsletter refers to the situation. I came across a travel site (don\'t remember site)  with several people reported similar problems in AC in Jan 09, and saying to stay away. And of course there\'s the \"central luzon corruption\" website. 
You might want to improve your researching abilities. ;)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 11:13:12 PM »
Well, Harry the Horse reported on some of this . The Margarita Station monthly newsletter refers to the situation. I came across a travel site (don\'t remember site)  with several people reported similar problems in AC in Jan 09, and saying to stay away. And of course there\'s the \"central luzon corruption\" website. 
You might want to improve your researching abilities. ;)

Harry the Horse hasn\'t posted since 2001 and the Margarita Station hasn\'t posted anything since Feb 2008.  The Central Luzon Corruption website is nothing more than rubbish, someone with an axe to grind and with more time on their hands than sense in their heads.   ;)

Here\'s the question that comes to my mind: why do you give more credence to those \"other\" sites than you do this group, people with no ulterior motives?   ???

This forum doesn\'t like to dwell on negatives.  There are obviously plenty of other groups and websites who do that.  Our focus here is to promote the Philippines and not to bash Filipinos whether they be regular citizens or the PNP.

I hope you decide to give our members more credence than you do those \"other\" groups.   8)

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH