Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: thailand or philippines  (Read 7473 times)

Offline fwinder

thailand or philippines
« on: March 13, 2009, 02:53:11 AM »
I retire next year looking to relocate† to Philippines or Thailand and build a house there my question is why is it a lot more expensive to build house in Philippines than Thailand as labour is cheap in both places I know how much a 3 bedroom house will cost in Thailand i do not mean a great big luxury one just plain and simple.†
† †  I can only go on the houses i have seen on here and they seem expensive dose the materials cost a lot more in Philippines
† † † † † † †  Thanks for any help

Re: thailand or philippines
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 08:34:53 AM »
I retire next year looking to relocate† to Philippines or Thailand and build a house there my question is why is it a lot more expensive to build house in Philippines than Thailand as labour is cheap in both places I know how much a 3 bedroom house will cost in Thailand i do not mean a great big luxury one just plain and simple.†
† † †I can only go on the houses i have seen on here and they seem expensive dose the materials cost a lot more in Philippines
† † † † † † † †Thanks for any help

I would be surprised if there was a big difference, can you give a comparative cost per square metre excluding the cost of land? The cost of land does vary a lot here in the Philippines, I paid P600 per square metres but there are places that would cost many thousands.

Colin

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 09:15:03 AM »
Materials MIGHT be a factor? You just got to do the leg work and know prices!!

Give a Pinoy something he/she can use like the world down turn and prices JUMP and sometimes BIG TIME!

Case in point, we bought an 3/4 hp air-con last month for P10,400. Yesterdays, the same unit at the same place was P12,500.

A friend bought a building item for P36 a months or so ago at a different place. Yesterday, the same item was P98.

There\'s more then building cost in compairing cost of living in a Country!† Language is a biggie if yours isn\'t widely used in your area of choice and then......... life style.
B-Ray†

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 10:07:42 AM »
There\'s more then building cost in compairing cost of living in a Country!† Language is a biggie if yours isn\'t widely used in your area of choice and then......... life style.
B-Ray†

I agree...

Maybe visit each place for a few weeks/months before deciding...

Which language would be easier for you to understand?
Which people can understand YOUR language?

and most importantly...

What is there to keep you busy?

Also.. for buying... many predict the prices will fall during the year as the global crisis takes its toll on Asia... maybe your time exploring will work out and you end up with a better deal after all.
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline fwinder

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 03:44:13 AM »
Thanks for replies
† † † † † † † † † † †  I can not speak of philippines as i have never been but i am on holiday there in May down in Davao to check it out hope i can get to see some houses built by westerners. Regards Thailand i† have seen what some westerners have built and paid for three bed two bathroom western kitchen nice size garden 25 to 30 thousand pounds thats 1750000 to 2100000 pesos or there about land is quite cheep in rural areas. i would not want to live in city in Philippines also it would have to be rural is land cheaper i rural areas in Philippines
† † †  Regards language not a big problem older folk do not speak much english but most of the younger ones learn it at school now.
† † † † †  Thanks for replys

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 04:12:45 AM »
Thanks for replies
† † † † † † † † † † †† I can not speak of philippines as i have never been but i am on holiday there in May down in Davao to check it out hope i can get to see some houses built by westerners. Regards Thailand i† have seen what some westerners have built and paid for three bed two bathroom western kitchen nice size garden 25 to 30 thousand pounds thats 1750000 to 2100000 pesos or there about land is quite cheep in rural areas. i would not want to live in city in Philippines also it would have to be rural is land cheaper i rural areas in Philippines
† † †† Regards language not a big problem older folk do not speak much english but most of the younger ones learn it at school now.
† † † † †† Thanks for replys

What about the different in costs and the easier to get Philippine Visas compared to what you have to go through in Thailand? This should be a dominant factor in your choice.

Billy
"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 11:34:29 AM »
25 to 30 thousand pounds thats 1750000 to 2100000 pesos or there about land is quite cheep in rural areas.

Price of your 3 bedroom TI property sounds about the same as in RP from what I have seen. I just occupied a 4 bedroom 2 bath that had an entire addition built on to serve as a western kitchen and it was almost the same price range you mentioned. Yes, members have posted prices of their new constructions at double that price, but look at their blueprints.. they created mansions...

After your visit in May you should have a better feeling about the place to see if its prices are in line. I also find that you get the highest price quotes from real estate agents - especially if you appear to be new to the area. So they may not be the best way to determine pricing.

I think the best thing for you to do .. is to keep doing what you are doing... keep talking online, posting, chatting , or whatever - maybe you can find people who built in the areas you will be visiting...

I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 12:47:52 PM »
I am not sure if you know this or not, but a foreigner cannot own land in the Philippines yet. They are supposedly trying to change the laws but I seriously doubt it will change anytime soon.

Foreigners can own condos or have their homes built on rented land.

Can foreigners own land in Thailand?†
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline fwinder

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 02:47:52 AM »
Thanks for all your replies very helpful indeed.
† †  Yes i think they are mansions some have built and if you think i can build in philippines for same as Thailand then i think Philippines would be better option for me as being ENGLISH . uk have agreement with philippine government that i can get my pension there and not lose any like i would in Thailand.
† † Same in Thailand we can not own land but there are ways round it in Thailand do not know about Philippines?.
†  But i will not be on my own once i decide i will look for girl and hopefully can buy through her.
† Do not know about visa for Philippines but i can get retirement visa no problem in Thailand you just have show them you have regular income and will not be just a bum there.
†  What about Philippine visa is it easy get there also?
† On just having a income
† † † †  Thanks again all for your help

Offline dutch expat

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 05:45:31 AM »
You can get a retirement visa in The Philippines, even without pension,† but you need to make a time deposit.† All the details you find here http://www.pra.gov.ph/main/srrv_program?page=1

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 12:54:25 AM »
You can find even more info right here on our forum.  Try this very large link with days of reading in it. (no one said it would be easy   ;D

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php/board,58.0.html

If you\'re looking for a girl, the Philippines has a very large advantage over Thailand, IMHO.  The vast majority are English speaking women with strong family values.  If you find the right one and decide to get married, your problems with owning land are over.  Your wife can own the land and you can build whatever size house you want.  That\'s what I\'m going to do and what many of us here are doing or have done already.

Good Luck!
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 02:32:44 AM »
You can get a retirement visa in The Philippines, even without pension,† but you need to make a time deposit.† All the details you find here http://www.pra.gov.ph/main/srrv_program?page=1

Yes. The retirement visa is the way to go!
It is nice to have.

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 08:01:35 AM »
25 to 30 thousand pounds thats 1750000 to 2100000 pesos or there about land is quite cheep in rural areas.

Price of your 3 bedroom TI property sounds about the same as in RP from what I have seen. I just occupied a 4 bedroom 2 bath that had an entire addition built on to serve as a western kitchen and it was almost the same price range you mentioned. Yes, members have posted prices of their new constructions at double that price, but look at their blueprints.. they created mansions...

After your visit in May you should have a better feeling about the place to see if its prices are in line. I also find that you get the highest price quotes from real estate agents - especially if you appear to be new to the area. So they may not be the best way to determine pricing.

I think the best thing for you to do .. is to keep doing what you are doing... keep talking online, posting, chatting , or whatever - maybe you can find people who built in the areas you will be visiting...

For around P2M you are only going to get a basic Philippine style house, perhaps over ornate on the outside but just concrete boxes with bit of tiling, basic plumbing and wiring and an almost non-existant kitchen. If you want something approaching western standards you will not get much change from P5M and for luxury you can easily be in the P7M to P10M range. This would be for a 3 bedroomed house without land. Mansions† ??? I never seen any plans for those on here, just good quality 3-4 bedroom houses.

Colin

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 01:28:59 PM »
Humm Philippine house for 2 million pesos? Don\'t know what veggie truck you riding?† And 2 million isn\'t standard!

I know a 190 S/M 3-2 block house can be built for P1m with extras and if one can\'t upgrade for another million, their throwing money out the window. UNLESS, there is a get rich quick Pinoy contractor involved?

Dang people, it YOUR money, do some FRIGG\'N home work!!
B-Ray

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 01:47:31 PM »
Humm Philippine house for 2 million pesos? Don\'t know what veggie truck you riding?† And 2 million isn\'t standard!

I know a 190 S/M 3-2 block house can be built for P1m with extras and if one can\'t upgrade for another million, their throwing money out the window. UNLESS, there is a get rich quick Pinoy contractor involved?

Dang people, it YOUR money, do some FRIGG\'N home work!!
B-Ray

I\'m with Ray here.....

The place where I first stayed in, I fell in love with the design and that was what I was planning on building but things change

The owner offered to build same for approx P500,000 - lot NOT included....I was initially planning a 25 year lease

Hollow block ground floor - kitchen, living room CR (including shower)

Upper floor is one BIG bedroom, large enough for 2 queen sized beds

Small decks on both ground & upper floors

Good enough for a single guy, a couple or someone with VERY young kids

BTW plan changed several times including a 500sqm lot on pebble beach set in a beautiful little bay in Jagna, BOHOL for P500,000 (I KNOW he would go† to to 400k or less)
[might still available but contact me offline]

Current plan has me working on 300sqm house on 8800sqm land..... :-[

If the initial price is P2m, you\'re just not refusing enough. Word eventually gets around and the high priced sellers just don\'t bother you any more and more reasonable properties seem to filter thru