Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: thailand or philippines  (Read 7383 times)

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: thailand or philippines
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 02:32:31 PM »
We are building a 3 bed nipa hut at present..PHP800.000 spent so far.
I`ll post some pictures when I have some.

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 04:20:56 PM »
Humm Philippine house for 2 million pesos? Don\'t know what veggie truck you riding?† And 2 million isn\'t standard!

I know a 190 S/M 3-2 block house can be built for P1m with extras and if one can\'t upgrade for another million, their throwing money out the window. UNLESS, there is a get rich quick Pinoy contractor involved?

Dang people, it YOUR money, do some FRIGG\'N home work!!
B-Ray
Naturaly you can build down to a budget if that is what you want to do, but I would not be satisfied with that type of house. Hollow block lower floors with nipa style upper floor is not much more than a holiday home, perfectly livable for short term but not for a permanent home.

The P2M cost I was refering to was for a good sized (300+ sqm) house with all the fancy roofs and columns that Filipinos are so fond of.

If you want to have a house that is at least as good as those in the west, you are not going to get it by starting with a basic Philippine concrete box with a tin roof then adding a super shower and some fancy inside tiles.

If you have got some expensive furniture, electronic equipment etc you will want to protect it from the high temperatures and humidity, to say nothing of also wanting that for your own body.

Some people are happy to live a simple native style of existance, I am not one of those. I have lived for 6 month periods in very basic condition, no glass in the window and mosquitos buzzing inches away from your head the other side of a mosquito net; liveable but not comfortable.

I plan to be very careful with the construction costs, and only today bought a mold to make our own hollow blocks. I will not be using contractors but will be using a family member who is an experienced engineer to organise and supervise the construction. If I can get my house to cost less than P5m I will be very happy, but I will not compromise on quality.

I have never been on a veggie truck, perhaps I should try it† ;D ;D ;D

Colin

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 08:36:50 PM »
The place where I first stayed in, I fell in love with the design and that was what I was planning on building but things change

I was offered one of those in Mindanao some time ago but I was petrified of the roof leaking and damaging my computers. My friends said \"dont worry we have plastic to sleep with when it rains - just cover your computers\"

That was my cue to look elsewhere† :P

As a result I never stayed one night in that type of construction so I will ask you.... how do you keep water out in the storms? My only guess was properly overlapping the leaves/roof panels

I think the 2mil+ places are the ones replicating western construction... or attempting to mimic fort knox like the place I reside in.
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 08:56:14 PM »
Humm Philippine house for 2 million pesos? Don\'t know what veggie truck you riding?† And 2 million isn\'t standard!

I know a 190 S/M 3-2 block house can be built for P1m with extras and if one can\'t upgrade for another million, their throwing money out the window. UNLESS, there is a get rich quick Filipino contractor involved?

Dang people, it YOUR money, do some FRIGG\'N home work!!
B-Ray
Naturally you can build down to a budget if that is what you want to do, but I would not be satisfied with that type of house. Hollow block lower floors with nipa style upper floor is not much more than a holiday home, perfectly livable for short term but not for a permanent home.

The P2M cost I was referring to was for a good sized (300+ sqm) house with all the fancy roofs and columns that Filipinos are so fond of.

If you want to have a house that is at least as good as those in the west, you are not going to get it by starting with a basic Philippine concrete box with a tin roof then adding a super shower and some fancy inside tiles.

If you have got some expensive furniture, electronic equipment etc you will want to protect it from the high temperatures and humidity, to say nothing of also wanting that for your own body.

Some people are happy to live a simple native style of existence, I am not one of those. I have lived for 6 month periods in very basic condition, no glass in the window and mosquito\'s buzzing inches away from your head the other side of a mosquito net; liveable but not comfortable.

I plan to be very careful with the construction costs, and only today bought a mold to make our own hollow blocks. I will not be using contractors but will be using a family member who is an experienced engineer to organise and supervise the construction. If I can get my house to cost less than P5m I will be very happy, but I will not compromise on quality.

I have never been on a veggie truck, perhaps I should try IT ;D ;D ;D

Colin

Colin while i respect very much your opinion and the opinion of B-Ray, i take some agree to disagree with your estimates. I hope to have the house started in 2-3 months and i will certainly post the details including full blueprints and floor plans.

I have not gone to my family for help on this one, but have looked at every new house design here in my 8 square mile radius and every house that i like was built by an engineer who comes from a long line of such, he has three other brothers, one civil engineer, one electric engineer and the other is working in the USA and owns his own construction company that builds nothing but condos on the waterfront in cambridge, MD, where i am from.

I told my engineer i did not want commercial style hollow block for my house, in fact i asked if i could hire my own hollow block maker who works for the hollow factory here. Commercial style Filipino houses run about 70-80 hollow blocks per bag of cement, I told him that was not satisfactory and i wanted only 40 blocks per bag. He said no problem.

I also asked him about the 220/110 outlets, he said that is not a problem and we would color code them so you could not be confused. There is to be all circuit breakers instead of a fuse box. Each room which includes 4 bedrooms 3 upstairs, and the maids bedroom downstairs will have a central overhead ceiling fan with a light attached on the fan. The house will be fully insulated both in the attic and the interior walls.†

the kitchen will have solid granite work spaces, not Formica or tile. There is to be no hot water tank but a system that using hot water on demand as you need it.

I took your advice about the cesspool and modified it a† little for i can get 60 gallon plastic tanks that i will sink into the ground that all my gray water will run into and then leech out into the ground .

All the floors will be tile, and all the windows will have screens and sliding left to right operating functions. The master bedroom upstairs is facing East , and will have a sliding glass door that goes out to a veranda where I already have purchase a wrought iron coated at the company in ivory paint, and 4 matching chairs, where me and Jen can arise to have our morning coffee.

There will be double the amount of thick re bar going through each hollow block.

The engineer will hire anyone of my family members i recommend for general labors, but still needs the right to dismiss them if they do not work as expected.

Now all of this, from a Filipino, who i am not suppose to trust and should just do things my way, well it is my way, he has agreed to put 4 outlets in every room, for every 220 there will be a 110.

I have given up some of dreams such as the swimming pool and the koi garden, but i will have still plenty of room for my orchids, and a family room on the first floor where i will build a bar, including keg beer, a 42 inch plasma HD TV the bar will be horseshoe in design and made out of Nara, Besides having the refrigerator in the kitchen , frost free, I will have one in the bar, that i have already seen at† Hardware Express in Butuan, that had its own ice maker. Thus the need for ice trays will be eliminated.

He, the engineer is going with me to the lawyers on a week from Wednesday, to confirm in writing what he has quoted me and unless i add more to the existed floor plan he has quoted me a price of 3 million pesos. Now I know that is not the 6 million that you will spend and i firmly respect your decision for you know what you want and will have it your way, well for me, I think I have what i want, sometimes we are allowed to have only what we can afford, And when this house is done, I will be the first one to invite you and your wife for a visit on me, I can even cook a mean Sheppard pie.

Could things change?, of course they can, my health situation is getting progressive worse, and I am trying to do everything i can to give my wife a beautiful home fully paid for so when i die she can cash in on my Veterans Pension , then my Social Security when she gets 62.

I accept the fact that many will disagree with my plan and fully respect that, but please try to at least remember, i live in what is almost just like the jungles of Vietnam, things are cheaper here....Keith has a beautiful home without a doubt, but the materials there in Santa Rosa , Manila are vastly more costly than they are here..

I have gained much from all of you, on this site as to my building plans, for example, one person i forget who said never build anything without a clear title, well i have bitten the bullet on that one, BIR states clearly that is i the seller who pays Capital gain tax, not the buyer, i spent money, i did not make money. But as she has not paid her capital gain tax, in order for me to get the title i am going to pay for it myself. I should by all rights take her to court, but i am just a guest in this country, not allowed to own property, so i want everything to be easy for my wife.

Thanks guys and gals for listening

The \"Murf\"

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 09:27:14 PM »
the refrigerator in the kitchen , frost free, I will have one in the bar, that i have already seen at† Hardware Express in Butuan, that had its own ice maker. Thus the need for ice trays will be eliminated.

I really really want that frost free fridge !
Looking forward to seeing your plans or pix as well...

But as far as a house im pretty simple... a Nipa hut can do just fine as long as a few minimum requirements are met

No water leaks from the roof or floods during storms to protect PC\'s
High-Speed internet (as in 3meg or faster - maybe 1.5 in a pinch)
double lock deadbolts on all exit doors
A toilet with a seat and working flush-tank
Shower with heater
No roaches or mosquitos
bedroom A/C

pretty simple list...† although I kissed it all goodbye when I lived in Butuan... but that place was nice... and the local ISP didnt serve my area but they allowed me to pay all their crew to make a special route to my place.... I told em I dont care the price... ended up costing about P1.4k ... best $30 I ever spent !
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 11:10:35 AM »
Hi murf,

I said on previous posts that P2M would be the cost of a basic Philippine house, and others disagreed saying it could be built for less. You have added an extra P1M to get what you want, so I think your costs are in line with my thinking.

My requirements are higher than yours so I expect to pay more. In the Philippines it is normal to get lots of visitors in the house and we host all the usual family birthday parties etc. Bing, having lived in the UK for 17 years, has come to appreciate the privacy that is normal there so agrees with me that we should have private areas within the house. As well as all the requirements for comfort, my house and surrounding areas have been split into private and public areas. The only public area in the main house will be the entrance hall/family room. This will contain comfortable seats and our existing TV. We will have our own separate lounge with large flat screen TV, Hi-Fi equipment etc. The only other person who will use this room will be Bings mother if she chooses to live with us. However, all Philippine soaps will be banned from that TV† ;D The outside area will be designed for family use, with the long covered patio area equipped with overhead fans and tables for the drinkers/gamblers/mahjong players. Any party cooking can be done in the dirty kitchen; the main kitchen will be reserved for serious cooking. The long exercise pool will have a wider shallow end for the children and a nippa hut with a toilet and shower. We will encourage family members and friend to visit us.

Discounting the swimming pool, I will attempt to get the cost below P5M, but I donít realistically expect to achieve it. We have a neighbour opposite our lot who built a 300sqm bungalow, he originally estimated P3M but ended up spending around P5M and he was very careful and shopped around a lot as well as using family members for the building. This price did include a nippa hut they lived in during building plus maidís quarters, carport and walling surrounding the 4000sqm lot.

I know my plans are ambitious, but I would like to live in comfort in my old age† ;D all of this will cost less than the money I received from selling my house in the UK, JUST, providing the exchange rate does not get any worse† :(

Colin

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 12:20:34 PM »
I said on previous posts that P2M would be the cost of a basic Philippine house, and others disagreed saying it could be built for less. You have added an extra P1M to get what you want, so I think your costs are in line with my thinking.

My requirements are higher than yours so I expect to pay more. In the Philippines it is normal to get lots of visitors in the house and we host all the usual family birthday parties etc. Bing, having lived in the UK for 17 years, has come to appreciate the privacy that is normal there so agrees with me that we should have private areas within the house. As well as all the requirements for comfort, my house and surrounding areas have been split into private and public areas. The only public area in the main house will be the entrance hall/family room. This will contain comfortable seats and our existing TV. We will have our own separate lounge with large flat screen TV, Hi-Fi equipment etc. The only other person who will use this room will be Bings mother if she chooses to live with us. However, all Philippine soaps will be banned from that TV† ;D The outside area will be designed for family use, with the long covered patio area equipped with overhead fans and tables for the drinkers/gamblers/mahjong players. Any party cooking can be done in the dirty kitchen; the main kitchen will be reserved for serious cooking. The long exercise pool will have a wider shallow end for the children and a nippa hut with a toilet and shower. We will encourage family members and friend to visit us.

Discounting the swimming pool, I will attempt to get the cost below P5M, but I donít realistically expect to achieve it. We have a neighbour opposite our lot who built a 300sqm bungalow, he originally estimated P3M but ended up spending around P5M and he was very careful and shopped around a lot as well as using family members for the building. This price did include a nippa hut they lived in during building plus maidís quarters, carport and walling surrounding the 4000sqm lot.

I know my plans are ambitious, but I would like to live in comfort in my old age† ;D all of this will cost less than the money I received from selling my house in the UK, JUST, providing the exchange rate does not get any worse† :(

Colin

See... a MANSION !!† ;D

I really do like the ideas you have shared about your house . It will be nice !

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 12:56:36 PM »
QUOTE: \"P2M would be the cost of a basic Philippine house,\"

Maybe in your area?

Nice tiled floors, marble sink in the kitchen and CR, tined windows and solid doors isn\'t a basic Philippine house my friend! At least not in this neck of the woods! LOL

Location, location and again LOCATION! Not only with building, but property prices also.

That a look at what P4.2m built 1.5 years ago. http://www.islandsproperties.com/properties/houseandlots/negor-bac-rh-799/pics.htm not counting the property, rock work or out buildings, JUST THE HOUSE.
B-Ray

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 01:46:33 PM »
I have gained much from all of you, on this site as to my building plans, for example, one person i forget who said never build anything without a clear title

Im pretty sure that we needed our title docs as a requirement for a building permit..

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 02:06:54 PM »
Our doors are 2\" thick mahogany..So are our floors except for the onsuite which has porcalain tiles throughout..
As I said,its basicaly a nipa hut but it will still will have a couple of A/C`s a kingsize bed and a 42\" HD TV with the bells and whistles† (like a 5 person jaccuzi/pool-snooker games and bar )..

The hollow blocks that so many seem to complain about are not really that important in my mind as they are not used in a† ring beam construction as bricks or breeze blocks would be in the UK..
Reinforced concrete posts and beams are the core strength with the blocks simply filling in the gaps..Even these are reinforced with rebar both verticaly and horizontally and then rendered..
Bulidings here might look a little shabby at times but are damned strong when done right.
IMO lang.

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2009, 02:34:06 PM »

See... a MANSION !!† ;D

I really do like the ideas you have shared about your house . It will be nice !

Definition:-

a \"real\" mansion is normally designed by an architect to the exact needs of the clients, is significantly larger (typically, a minimum of 6,000 square feet or more than 500 square meters), and contains many more features and creature comforts; however, the house does not need to be this size to be considered a mansion. It may just simply contain many of the features that come with a mansion.

OK, I but I will only settle for a Mini Mansion† ;D ;D ;D ;D

Colin

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 02:46:24 PM »

That a look at what P4.2m built 1.5 years ago. http://www.islandsproperties.com/properties/houseandlots/negor-bac-rh-799/pics.htm not counting the property, rock work or out buildings, JUST THE HOUSE.
B-Ray

Nice house, I hope mine looks that good when it is finished.

Colin

Offline renocouple

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2009, 03:34:34 PM »
I have gained much from all of you, on this site as to my building plans, for example, one person i forget who said never build anything without a clear title, well i have bitten the bullet on that one, BIR states clearly that is i the seller who pays Capital gain tax, not the buyer, i spent money, i did not make money. But as she has not paid her capital gain tax, in order for me to get the title i am going to pay for it myself. I should by all rights take her to court, but i am just a guest in this country, not allowed to own property, so i want everything to be easy for my wife.

Thanks guys and gals for listening

The \"Murf\"

Murf

This was one thing that my father missed when they bought the property where they build our house today... He doesn\'t know of the rules and regulations, and we are stuck with paying the capital gains tax... The title was clear but the tax were not paid, so now we have to pay it..

And oh, for Fred, you can get a building permit as long as you have a deed of sale, that\'s all they need at the Engr\'ng and mayor\'s office.† Though we still have to do the \'titling\" once the house is done...

Pau

Hubby\'s favorite!

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2009, 09:32:21 PM »

And oh, for Fred, you can get a building permit as long as you have a deed of sale, that\'s all they need at the Engr\'ng and mayor\'s office.† Though we still have to do the \'titling\" once the house is done...

Pau

I would be petrified if AFTER all the construction was done and 5 million later there was a problem with \"titling\"... ouch

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2009, 01:09:10 PM »
You can get a building permit with a \"contract of sale\". Getting the title changed, might take some time.

Depending on your rise factor and how much leg work you have done BEFORE hand, if you want to start building before getting the title in hand!† If your a sit back, do nothing, know nothing, my advise is to wait!!

Building the 2 story back in 06, it took 2 years before getting the property title that she now holds. Nothing wrong with the title, we did our homework, but 4 changes at the top end of the Government agency was the problem in getting things signed.

BTW, we are still waiting, (6 months), on NHM for the title on the house next door, paid for, that\'s been remodeled and now rented.†
B-Ray