Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Insulation  (Read 2995 times)

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
Insulation
« on: March 13, 2009, 02:10:44 PM »
All,

I remember reading about someone that wants to know what kinds of insulation they have here in the PI.  When we renovated our house in Leyte, we used the typical 1/4\" thick open cell insulation with the aluminized backing. Since returning for vacation, I have found out that Citi Hardware now stocks the thicker fiber insulation with aluminized backing in 4meter long x about .75 meter wide bats.  The cost was right around p1,500 a roll.

Yes, a bit expensive, but fiber insulation has always seemed like it had better insulating qualities. I might spend some extra money and do some of our \"hot\" rooms with this insulation in the future.

I\'m only going to be here a few more days, if you need more information, just let me know.

Greg 8)

Greg & Almira  ;-)

Re: Insulation
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 03:02:13 PM »
All,

I remember reading about someone that wants to know what kinds of insulation they have here in the PI.  When we renovated our house in Leyte, we used the typical 1/4\" thick open cell insulation with the aluminized backing. Since returning for vacation, I have found out that Citi Hardware now stocks the thicker fiber insulation with aluminized backing in 4meter long x about .75 meter wide bats.  The cost was right around p1,500 a roll.

Yes, a bit expensive, but fiber insulation has always seemed like it had better insulating qualities. I might spend some extra money and do some of our \"hot\" rooms with this insulation in the future.

I\'m only going to be here a few more days, if you need more information, just let me know.

Greg 8)

HiGreg,

How thick is this fibre insulation and what is the cost of a 4m x 0.75 bat? I was under the impression that \'bats\' were semi-rigid so I am puzzled how they can be sold by the roll?

I don\'t believe that the very thin foil backed insulation is anywhere near good enough. I plan to use it, or a thicker version as a first layer under the roof, but add thick insulation on top of the ceiling as well as good ventilation.

Colin

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 03:49:16 PM »
Those 1/4 rolls we find here look to me about R7 energy value at the max. Thats  not bad compared to no insulation at all but the ones you mentioned could give energy saving values upwards of R38 if they are like pictured here. Do you have contact information for that supplier?

A completely insulated house feels sooo much better in the summer....

Thanks

in the bag it looks like this

but opened it looks like

Be sure to cover your ENTIRE BODY in disposable clothing when using fiberglass insulation.... it .. REALLY can do a job on you.. .and you will itch forever from those minute strung glass fibers... but its WELL WORTH IT !

NOTE: He is wearoing protective covering.. MANDATORY for this fiberglass... unless you just hate life..
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline Beatle

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 01:46:26 AM »
Those 1/4 rolls we find here look to me about R7 energy value at the max. Thats  not bad compared to no insulation at all but the ones you mentioned could give energy saving values upwards of R38 if they are like pictured here. Do you have contact information for that supplier?

Thanks

Be sure to cover your ENTIRE BODY in disposable clothing when using fiberglass insulation.... it .. REALLY can do a job on you.. .and you will itch forever from those minute strung glass fibers... but its WELL WORTH IT !

NOTE: He is wearing protective covering.. MANDATORY for this fiberglass... unless you just hate life..

Everyone,
                      dylanaz is not just trying to be nice. Fiberglass itches like mad and can do a job on your lungs, think about the name fiber/glass minute pieces of glass that will stick in your skin and cause an unbelievable itch.

Ray
If you treat a servant like a servant, you will lead a alone. But if you treat a servant like a leader, multitudes will follow.  Beatle

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 04:49:39 AM »
Those 1/4 rolls we find here look to me about  at the max. Thats  not bad compared to no insulation at all but the ones you mentioned could give energy saving values upwards of R38 if they are like pictured here. Do you have contact information for that supplier?

Thanks

NOTE: He is wearing protective covering.. MANDATORY for this fiberglass... unless you just hate life..

Everyone,
                      dylanaz is not just trying to be nice. Fiberglass itches like mad and can do a job on your lungs, think about the name fiber/glass minute pieces of glass that will stick in your skin and cause an unbelievable itch.

Ray

If you do get the fibre-glass \"itchies\" DO NOT SHOWER - salt water bath will be more relieving

Mask is a MUST!!!

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 08:47:05 AM »
Those 1/4 rolls we find here look to me about  at the max. Thats  not bad compared to no insulation at all but the ones you mentioned could give energy saving values upwards of R38 if they are like pictured here. Do you have contact information for that supplier?

Thanks

Everyone,

Ray

If you do get the fibre-glass \"itchies\" DO NOT SHOWER - salt water bath will be more relieving

Mask is a MUST!!!

Maybe I am just a little stupid  ::) but I have laid lots of fibreglass insulation, carefully, but with no more protection than a pair of gloves. I did get a few itchies but they did not last for long.

Colin

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 11:22:17 AM »
Maybe I am just a little stupid  ::) but I have laid lots of fibreglass insulation, carefully, but with no more protection than a pair of gloves. I did get a few itchies but they did not last for long.

Colin

If you are very careful like you were you can be safe. But the protection covers you mainly in case of an accident. I think my mishap was cutting the bottom of a roll and the person lost grip of the top. It fell on me - not a danger in itself but I was covered in microscopic glass fibers - probably worse than a run in with a cactus bush.

I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 02:22:36 PM »
Depends on what surface that you\'re insulating as to being attacked by glaas fibres -

Ceiling from above - little risk
Wall from aside - moderate risk
Roof from underneath - high risk

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 03:03:43 PM »
Depends on what surface that you\'re insulating as to being attacked by glaas fibres -

Ceiling from above - little risk
Wall from aside - moderate risk
Roof from underneath - high risk

Mine was always a ceiling from above, so maybe I am not so stupid  ;D

Colin

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 05:01:03 PM »
All,

While I was doing my final running around today, I stopped at Citi Hardware and took some shots of the insulation, and a locator map in case anyone else is interested in finding out if there is a Citi Hardware near them.  To me, its a smaller version of Lowes or Home Depot in the US, and has almost all the things you would need to build a house.  The insulation comes in rolls, some completely encased in thermal metalic barrier material, some only have it one one side of the insulation.  There is a price list for all different sizes of insulation, and from the listing, it is fiberglass.  Price for the 150mm thick is about p1,800 for a roll that is 4 meters x .6 meters in size.  Kind of expensive, unless you look at the long term savings on energy.

Here are the photos:

Hope this helps.  It looks like there are quite a few Citi Hardware stores in the PI, also one in Palawan according to their map and store information.  They also have a wonderful selection of tools, both hand, electric, air, and pneumatic. At the Ormoc store, they know us by name...lol.  What can I say...I really enjoy doing things around the house when I\'m here.

Greg 8)
Greg & Almira  ;-)