Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Peter\'s Dive Resort, The Good/The Bad  (Read 2655 times)

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
Peter\'s Dive Resort, The Good/The Bad
« on: March 18, 2009, 05:21:52 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place for a trip report, but figured it would ok to post here.  Just returned from a nice 30 day visit to the Philippines (they almost had to pry me off the airplane when I arrived in Brussels).  While in the RP, I did some work around the house, and had a chance to do some diving at Peter\'s Dive Resort, Padre Burgos, Leyte.  The resort is roughly 3 hours from Ormoc, and here is the breakdown in costs to travel there from Ormoc:

Air Condition Van from Ormoc terminal to Maasin terminal: p150/person (2 hour ride).

Trike from Maasin Terminal to multicab across the street from Candy\'s Grocery in Maasin: p10/person (about a 5 minute ride) (make sure the multicab says p burgos on the side...lol)

Multicab from Maasin to Padre Burgos: p28 per person to the resort (about a 50 minute ride).

Now for the good things about Peter\'s Dive Resort:

As you can see by the photo\'s, the diving is what sells people on coming to the resort.  I made 6 dives, and the best dives by far were just off the shore of Limasawa Island.  Just for you history buffs, thats where the first Catholic Service was held in the Philippines. I also think its where the largest fruit bat population settled.  While doing our surface interval on the boat off the island, a cloud of bats started flying over some trees on the cliffs...what a sight! I only had the dive camera, so didn\'t get any shots of that...but wish I had.  The little picnic area is just a little East of Padre Burgos and overlooks Limasawa Island. You can rent a table, buy fresh fish, get a small banca ride to see whalesharks for p1,000 per person (if the water isn\'t too rough), and also take some great pictures and have fun snorkeling.

Now for the bad.

The food was VERY EXPENSIVE...even by usual resort prices. The pancit canton and ice tea pictured cost p130...and wasn\'t really that good.  Luckily for me, we rented the house there for $72/day (diver rate) and it had a kitchen, dining room, and enough beds for 6 people. The problem was that the rooms are run down and it seems that no one is taking care of them (lights burned out, switches not working, ceiling fan broken, air con not powerful enough to keep the room cool, etc). There is massive amounts of termite damage to the door frames and windows, and the bathroom was in very poor condition with everything leaking and constant water running.  When we tried to lock the front door, the locks didn\'t work, so they gave us a paddlock!  There were 2 remote controls for the TV...but neither one were for that TV.  The beach (what little there was) was usually dirty.  The staff, with the exception of the security guard and the boat/dive crew, were really not very helpful.  The termites were very active and the dust they left was everywhere, along with spider webs and things.  The ladies that cleaned the room did such a poor job cleaning that my family who was there with me decided to borrow the broom and clean it ourselves. The security guard was a great help to the family by telling them what things there were to do during the day when I was diving.  Thats another thing Peter should do is have someone come up with alternative things for family members to do. The do have whale shark watching trips...at $70+...way too expensive. 

Don\'t get me wrong...the resort has lots of potential (when the tide came in the view from my front door was really nice)...it just seems that no one is willing to put the effort into fixing the place up.  I talked with 4 other divers there, and they all said they wouldn\'t return to this resort, unless someone did some major modifications.  Just a hint if Peter reads this post: fix the rooms and bathrooms (a couple grand goes a long way for returning customers), put a video projector in the building by the pool so they can play movies over the pool at night (see how Eldorado beach resort does it in Dumaguette..what a wonderful place), hire a bartender (the bar was closed every day I was there, even with people asking why the bar was closed), and get your shuttle van fixed so you can drop people off in comfort late at night to catch the ferry from Maasin to Cebu.  I would also see about matching the prices of food in town and the resort. Its only a 5 minute ride to town and the prices of food are about 1/4 the cost of the resort, larger servings, and taste much better.

Conclusion: The diving sells itself...work on the resort.  I give kudos to the dive crew/boat crew and the security guard for their attitudes and assistance...but something needs to be done about the other staff members.  I put this trip report together with the help of my 5 family members that stayed with me at the resort, so there wasn\'t any bias...just honest opinions. I hope this helps someone make a decision on where to stay when they are visiting Leyte. There are about 3 or 4 other resorts there...I will try to visit another one when I return in the fall.

Greg

Greg & Almira  ;-)

Re: Peter\'s Dive Resort, The Good/The Bad
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 08:42:05 AM »
Excellent report, we need more like this.

Colin

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 02:38:55 AM »
Thanks Colin.  Just wanted to put an honest opinion out there.  I didn\'t even bring up the part of the staff trying to overcharge me p1000 when I left for food and drinks we didn\'t consume!  Lucky for me...my lovely pinay was on that issue really quick and made sure they corrected the bill.

Still, I hope Peter gets to read this and gets things straightened out. I really loved the diving and the views there...just some small issues that need to be corrected to make it a really nice place to relax for a few days.

Greg
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 10:09:39 PM »
Greg,

Great report!  This is the perfect place for posts like this.  I thoroughly enjoyed the underwater pics.  Awesome! 

I also appreciate the way you listed your kudos as well as your constructive criticism.  It\'s very easy to just gripe and complain, but you offered specific ideas to Peter about what could be changed/improved to make the resort a must see.  I hope he sees this and decides to take to heart your suggestions. 

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 03:47:41 PM »
Thanks Guys.  I\'m the type that will really look over a resort when I visit and see the good and the bad.  Sometimes there are simple ways to make a resort more user friendly...and this resort has the potential to be a very nice family oriented resort.  I just hope they fix the place up a little so they get more business.

Have a good one.

Greg
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 08:15:08 PM »
Greg,

Did you give Peter your report? You could also invite him to join our Forum while you are at it...  ;)

http://www.whaleofadive.com/

Billy
"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 10:38:31 PM »
Haven\'t tried that yet Bill....but might be a good thing...give him a chance to score some new customers also... 8)

Greg
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 07:36:56 AM »
Haven\'t tried that yet Bill....but might be a good thing...give him a chance to score some new customers also... 8)

Greg

Greg, just send him this link and tell him we all said \"C\'mon down, Pete!\" 

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php

He\'s more than welcome to join.
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline samatm

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 10:38:23 PM »
Thanks for the note on Petes.. excellent report.  Did the 70 bucks include any diving?   If not, it sounds way over priced.. 

Just got back from Padre Burgos..but no diving (whimper whimper).. but the beach at Tang Kaan was a great get away.   We loaded up the family and exteded family in the ol multicab (8 of us) and headed south from Kananga..Ormoc..Baybay..Maasin.  We stayed two nights at Gloria Beach Resort in Maasin Ibarra)  850 pesos per night (for all eight !).. the place was clean and on the water, staff very friendly and helpful.  The beach was black and rocky..but the water was very clean and clear.  I learned why the place is called Maasin first hand.  \"Maasin\" means very salty.. The water here is very salty...and dense  as its very easy to float  ... P. Burgos and Tan Kaan Beach  provided a great day at the beach... great scenery and and well maintained (and clean) public beach.   
the Castle Resort at Tang kaan looks really nice   they quoted 4000 +   but then offfered a special for 2200 the staff looked they came in from the Hilton or other  nice resort.   The lawn and their own private beach looked immaculate.    (Told the wife that we would have to make our own private trip to the castle sans the tribe!)
Next day we drove back up north and stopped in on Canigao Island!  Wow a minuture Boracay with only 6 cottages, a CR  and White sands..     The pump boat over cost 40 pesos a head..   We slept under the stars ..too late to get one of the cottages..and woke to the sunrise and fresh grilled fish...    Canigao is part of Matalom City between Maasin and BayBay... The pump boat operators stored our gear and watched  our MultiCab, and provided a ligo station (fresh water baths upon return).   Anyway.. a most enjoyable day.. Glad we experienced Canigao before it gets even more developed.  Again...no diving.. but I read that its  nice.. (not spectacular,  but nice)  The water was crystal clear  easily  40m vis... a strong channel current was pulling .. and I could immagine a lesiurely drift dive.. (next time na lang) .
The trip with the clan in Multicab was priceless.. Spent about P1700 in fuel from kananga Round trip.. created some  memories for a lifetime.  My wife was proud that her leyte had so much to offer!

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 03:45:48 AM »
Sounds like a great trip also.  Since there were only 5 of us going on the trip to Padre Burgos, we opted to take the Air Conditioned \"Suicide\" van from Ormoc. The Whale Shark watching was only that...and a little skin diving if you saw the whale sharks....which wasn\'t all the time. Some of the guests at the resort said they were worried because there were too many people there and they might scare off the whale sharks. Who knows.

Our multicab is finally refurbished so next trip will be with quite a few more family members. Hope to see some of the same sites you did.  Can\'t wait until the fall trip.

Enjoy!  ;D
Greg & Almira  ;-)