Author Topic: Educating my children  (Read 11137 times)

Offline JRAMS100

Educating my children
« on: April 07, 2009, 10:50:16 AM »
Everyone thanks for the comments.

I did not find a section on school in the Phils for children.  One of the reasons I am considering moving is the state of the schools in my area.  They are pretty much a disaster in my area.  The drugs and gangs have moved in.  My kids are 2 and 4 yrs and I have talked to many parents who said that the elementary schools are fine but Junior High and up is disaster.  They would give anything to move but feel stuck due to the inability to sell their house.  I had one friend whose son was threatened to be killed for looking at the wrong girl.  The school administration said they could not protect his son.  Needless to say that he is now being home schooled.  Things have changed since I went to school.  The only thing we had to worry about was getting beat up b the school bully.  I did not have to worry too much, I was on the football team.

I have talked to at least 10 Filipino children that came to the US and started school.  Everyone one of them said that the US schools are at least 2 years behind the same grade level.  I understand some this is due to there being fewer grades in the phils.  They also stated that they had to study very hard to make their grades in the phils and in the US they make 98% without studying.

The second answer that everyone one of them has was their shock on how the students treated the teachers and fellow students.  They could not believe the disrespect that is displayed in school.  They said they would never get away with this in the Phils.  Not even in high school.

I have 2 boys and I feel that they need to be around stern teachers and administrators.  I also feel they need to be challenged in school.  If they have solid education and learn respect, they will make it in whatever they decide to do with their lives.

Moderator please feel free to move this to the appropriate thread.

Thanks,

Jim

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Educating my children
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 05:52:50 AM »
Everyone thanks for the comments.

I did not find a section on school in the Phils for children.  One of the reasons I am considering moving is the state of the schools in my area.  They are pretty much a disaster in my area.  The drugs and gangs have moved in.  My kids are 2 and 4 yrs and I have talked to many parents who said that the elementary schools are fine but Junior High and up is disaster.  They would give anything to move but feel stuck due to the inability to sell their house.  I had one friend whose son was threatened to be killed for looking at the wrong girl.  The school administration said they could not protect his son.  Needless to say that he is now being home schooled.  Things have changed since I went to school.  The only thing we had to worry about was getting beat up b the school bully.  I did not have to worry too much, I was on the football team.

I have talked to at least 10 Filipino children that came to the US and started school.  Everyone one of them said that the US schools are at least 2 years behind the same grade level.  I understand some this is due to there being fewer grades in the phils.  They also stated that they had to study very hard to make their grades in the phils and in the US they make 98% without studying.

The second answer that everyone one of them has was their shock on how the students treated the teachers and fellow students.  They could not believe the disrespect that is displayed in school.  They said they would never get away with this in the Phils.  Not even in high school.

I have 2 boys and I feel that they need to be around stern teachers and administrators.  I also feel they need to be challenged in school.  If they have solid education and learn respect, they will make it in whatever they decide to do with their lives.

Moderator please feel free to move this to the appropriate thread.

Thanks,

Jim

Walang problema, Jim!  We needed a section on education in the Philippines.
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 01:58:07 AM »
good topic ,I may bring my child to be educated in the RP. STILL BILLY2002...I AM VERY IMPRESSED.

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 02:00:08 AM »
 ;D DOES ANYONE HAVE A NEGATIVE EXPERIENCE?   STILLBILLY2002

Offline JRAMS100

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 12:13:50 PM »
Does anyone have any experience sending their kids to Philippine schools?  Public or private? I have been thinking long and hard about this.  I have 2 little boys as mentioned in the first post.  This is my biggest concern.  I have heard stories where the kids are made fun of and I have also heard stories where they adapt very well.

My father has also voiced concern over what will they do when they get old enough to go on their own?  I will cross that bridge when we get there but I would move back to the US if that was what they needed.

I personally hope that they join the military and see some of the world for awhile.  Then they can go to college on some kind of GI bill.  I spent 8 1/2 years in the Navy and I do not think it hurt me.

I am sure there are some fine universities in the Phils also.

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 03:48:18 AM »
 Colin is correct, also many children from military families go from place to place ,school to school  and the ones I met were were very mature and well rounded. stillbilly2002

Offline xiarylle

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 12:48:42 PM »
colin is right. most families send their children to other islands for schooling. I got sent to manila to go to school and i lived in an apartment with 8 other college girls from different schools. it was hard at first but the rule was sink or swim so i swam hard because i didn\'t want to sink and go back home. ^_^

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 06:30:10 PM »
As you know, I\'m just back from a holiday in the provinces of Cebu. As I wrote in another post, my 9 year old son went to the local school for a couple of afternoons, being invited by his freinds and their teacher. The biggest differance I noticed when I took my son there was how relaxed and well behaved the kids in class were. We arrived just before the teacher returned from her lunch break, and all the kids were busy praying in small groups round the room. Maybe we can learn how much respect the kids have for their teacher by the way they call her \" mum\" or talk about her as their \"second mum \". In my sons class back home, if he called his teacher \"mum\" ,.. he would be laughed out of the room !! ( shame )
If I were in a position where I was considering taking him to live and be educated there, I would not hesitate. An even easier choice would be to consider bringing up and educating my little 18 month old mistisa daughter over there.
As a final point, I asked the teacher if she could give me the latest exam papers that the kids had just taken, so I could give it to my sons teacher back in Scotland. When I gave her the papers she was amazed how difficult the questions were for 9-10 year olds, and of course, these exams are written in English, which is not their native language!  Try giving a 10 year old kid from UK or where-ever, his next exams in a foriegn language he has been learning, and see how they react and perform.
Schooling for kids in Philippines ?? yes, definately, ... safer ? no signs of grafitti ? no swearing at teachers who are scared to react to you ??, and in my opinion, a much closer-knit community from an early age.

Don\'t know if its allowed to show pics of kids in school  ???
Remove if nessessarry please

Jonny

Jonny
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 10:15:12 AM »
Well I, for one, appreciate the picture.  Look at all those beautiful smiles.   ;D  It brings a smile to my face to see them smile so.   :)

Is that your son in the second picture?  Tell him not to be so shy.  He\'s a good looking lad.   8) 

Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline Miss August

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 11:48:54 AM »
You should not hesitate to have your kids educated in the Philippines.

Notice how the children are barefooted? They have to take off their shoes/sandals before entering the class room. I\'m surprised the children are not in uniform.

~August
? Live Well. Laugh Often. Love Much. ?

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 06:04:45 PM »
Miss August,
 You\'re  right, no shoes in class-room. All kids in the school wear a very smart uniform, but on this day, I think wednesday, was a day when no uniforms were worn. I think too it was just after their exams, and the school was winding down for the Easter term.

Apparently, the best performer from the class has the duty of writing down on the blackboard, all the names of the pupils who have been talking too much whilst the teacher is out of the room ! When teacher comes back in, these pupils need to apologise to the rest of the class for talking. ( and it looked they all take it very seriously )

So makes you think, how far, and in what direction have we let our children go in the western counries ???

Jonny
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

Offline samatm

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 09:25:23 PM »
I have been looking for schooling from my kids age 12 and 9.  one problem is the that PI schools are about 2 years shorter than the US education system.  Another is that the school days are really long.   kids report at 7:30 and often not home until past 5:00 pm..   Another is that depending on the schools,  the teachers and schools dont seem to take schedules to0 seriously.. Its.. like \"ooops no class today.. the teachers have a meeting\"  or \"ooops no class today because the 5th graders are using the room for tests\"  etc.. It became comical..that I was surprised with a whole 5 day week was actually accomplished.   Also I see  a lot of time spent on productions and plays and songs..which have their place.. but seeem to take up way to much effort and energy..     The private schools are pretty pricey really ... considering the facilities.  A school with nice modern facilities is going cost a lot.     Also I witnessed kids running wild in the classroom ..jumping on desks etc.. until the teach showed up... So i guess just like everywhere else.. it just depends on the schools and community.    We gave up a very good public school system in the US (richardson TX)  and are not expecting to have the same level of schooling here..but plan to compensate with extra homeschooling and tutors which would not be available (at our budget) in the US.  Plus theres more to an education than the school room!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 03:30:42 AM »
So makes you think, how far, and in what direction have we let our children go in the western counries ???

Jonny

Waay too far and in the wrong direction, definitely!  Just look at our national scores compared to other countries and it\'s readily evident that the US school system has a lot of improvements ahead of them if they intend to compete with the rest of he world.
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 05:00:09 PM »
Very disappointed so far with the schools that my kids have attended.
The kids last school had the usual petty requirement lists that just waste every bodies time..This year my daughter very nearly didn\'t graduate as she needed a baby photo for the \"year book\".. As our photo albums are still in UK storage the principle`s wife was unable to allow her to take her exams rendering the whole year useless.. After a heated meeting with this crazy woman I was able to finally persuade her to allow the exams to proceed the day before her graduation(6 in all)..
Its said that I have the patience of a saint but I very nearly lost it on that day..
Went to the school today to get their cards and cert of good moral character in order for them to go to what seems to be a far better school..They couldn\'t release the cards unless the children attended summer remedial lessons run by the principle and the principles wife!!
Just back from another heated meeting with them at the \"summer school\" and got what I needed by lying to them about moving the kids back to school in Manila..
Very impressed with the meeting at new school but if last years nightmare is repeated I think we may be forced to go back to the UK.

Offline Miss August

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 05:56:09 PM »
This year my daughter very nearly didn\'t graduate as she needed a baby photo for the \"year book\".. As our photo albums are still in UK storage the principle`s wife was unable to allow her to take her exams rendering the whole year useless..

Wow! This is the most asinine thing I\'ve ever heard. The school wasn\'t going to let her take her final exams and graduate because you don\'t have a baby photo of her?

I would have been screaming at that Principal!  >:(
? Live Well. Laugh Often. Love Much. ?