Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: What Building Mistakes/Issues to look out for??  (Read 37071 times)

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
Re: What Building Mistakes/Issues to look out for??
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2010, 09:57:36 PM »
KH,

What are your lot dimensions? I used to do building layout planning and would be happy to give you a couple of layout suggestions

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2010, 10:15:02 PM »
KH,

What are your lot dimensions? I used to do building layout planning and would be happy to give you a couple of layout suggestions

15m wide, 20m deep Ron. I\'ve shown the rough style/design the wife wants further up the thread, but I\'m having trouble getting my head around allotting area per room. We want some garden both front and back, so the house would be pretty much central to the lot.

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2010, 11:34:04 PM »
Initial thoughts.......Location of building on lot, front and back gardens; with 8m for the house that leaves total of 12m for garden front and back

I\'d suggest 8m for back 4m for front garden as back garden is more useful as recreation area, unless back of house is south facing and then it becomes a sun trap, not exactly what you need in the Philippines.

The house, if you do intend to sell the house in England, then maybe a 2 stage build could work for you (after the sale).

• By turning the garage area into just a carport, you could reduce the build cost of that area significantly
  • You could delay build of workshop unti house in England sold, eventually placing it directly behind carport area - will you be able to make REAL use of it in the short term?
  • You could even delay build of 2nd floor (master bedroom) if you utilise the unused 4m of width available to you on the lot to make the other bedrooms a little larger
  • I realise this would only give you 2 bedrooms initially, not sure if you could live with that - you\'d need to use some of the extra space for upstairs CR/shower
  • The master bedroom looks plenty big enough 4.9m x 4?
  • With a width of 11m you could probably extend out an additional 2m if needed, still leaving 1m either side of house or 2m on one side - don\'t know how much easement (if any needed in your city)

Acting as your own General Contractor should reduce costs by 15-20%

As for 4mx4m bedroom, next time you\'re back in the Philippines - go look at at show homes, take a tape measure and see what you both would be OK with.
0.5m along one wall would be great for walk in closet if your wife collects clothes like mine does †;)

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2010, 01:28:17 AM »
Initial thoughts.......Location of building on lot, front and back gardens; with 8m for the house that leaves total of 12m for garden front and back

I\'d suggest 8m for back 4m for front garden....

Thanks for the info Ron, food for thought there. I was also looking at having the bigger back garden, as it is more useful, plus just in case we want to build an extension out there later.

With our lot the sun rises right in the front of the house, which will be good for us early risers.†  ;D So, back yard will be a touch warm late afternoon. But we will have an 8 foot wall around the property that will give a modicum of shade.

I touched on the idea of starting with a smaller garage, half the size of the design I showed earlier, but then extend it out the front, like an enclosed car port, at a later date. Wife doesn\'t like the style......† >:(† I have a half built hot rod project under way, and a whole bunch of tools, engine cranes, bench drill, spares etc, so the garage would pretty much see service as soon as we moved.

We also thought about starting with just one storey, then adding the second floor a few years down the track, but decided that would be a big disruption after we have settled in.

Bedrooms in our UK house are barely 10\' x 12\', 2,5 m x 3.5m, if I remember correctly, and we spent ages shuffling furniture just to try and get a king size bed in with a couple of wardrobes.

And yes, the wife does have an affinity for collection clothes, shoes, bags etc.† ;D

There are currently five of us in our present house, and unfortunately I don\'t see that number dropping in the near future.

The wife has complained that she wants a walk in wardrobe, so I did another pic for her.† ::)

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2010, 08:55:28 AM »
Hi King,

My initial thoughts are that you are trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot, sorry :-[ I think the living area is too small for five people, maybe OK for most Filipinos, but do you want to live that way? I think you should think seriously about cutting back on the workshop/garage area a maybe do something in the back garden later. There is a limit to how close you could extend forward to the road which you should investigate. I know that it is often ignored, but you do need to gets plans approved. There is also a building regulation that says that any wall built closer than 2 metres to a boundary should be a firewall, i.e have no windows. You are also in a sub division which may also have extra strict rules.

I can understand you wanting your own recreation area, I would not have a house without it, I have planned both a study and a hobby room. The only way I can see you being able to do it on such a small lot would be to make the whole ground floor into a recreation area for you and the family then build the living accommodation on two floors above. This would mean that you would have to sell your house in the UK. This was a decision I had to make to get what I wanted. It was a difficult decision as I was reluctant to sever all ties with the UK, but in the end I said (expletive deleted)† ;D I know what I want and I am going to go for it. I donít regret that decision, but building a house here has given me far more problems than I could ever have imagined† :(

Colin

Offline B.Wolfe

« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2010, 10:27:36 AM »
I know that concrete security walls are the norm here, but is there any big reason why a strong chain link fence could not do the same job, and be not so intrusive?† I am not one who has to hide what I do in my yard, so I think there must be other (cheaper) ways yto provide security.

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2010, 10:33:55 AM »
Hi King,

further thoughts on your existing design ;D

Move the house to the right to within 1 metre of the wall, this will give you 3 metres on the left. This will be enough for a drive through car port with a workshop in the back garden behind it. You can then make the whole of the ground floor as living area. You don\'t need an enclosed garage for a car here and your workshop will give a covered area for working on them. You could then add an open balcony on top of the car port.

Colin

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2010, 11:12:33 AM »
I know that concrete security walls are the norm here, but is there any big reason why a strong chain link fence could not do the same job, and be not so intrusive?† I am not one who has to hide what I do in my yard, so I think there must be other (cheaper) ways yto provide security.

I\'m not really worried about the wall, just the house. I like some privacy, and I don\'t want people looking in from other adjacant lots.

Like Colin says, and like I really feel myself, we\'re trying to get away with too small a house for what we want. Over a quarter of it will be my own space. But, that is what I want in life, a large workshop, and it has to have full walls, as I grind and hammer and cut and stuff and I want to keep the noise in and the noses out. This is one thing I have wanted all my life: my own decent sized, private, lockable, solid workshop.

I think I may go for the external workshop idea, put it away in the back yard, with just a car port out the front. And leave a gap down one side of the house wide enough to take a car down.

That was what we had in the UK, a 30sq m garage I built myself. But it was too small.....

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2010, 12:07:39 PM »

That was what we had in the UK, a 30sq m garage I built myself. But it was too small.....

Wow, what a man cave!† I am so jealous.

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2010, 01:19:53 PM »
IMO there should be at least a bedroom downstairs for the future in case one no longer can climb stairs ... †

Agree.† I took care of my father in the U.S. before he passed away last year at 86 years old.† Luckily we were in a 1 story house.† He would not have been able to get up and down stairs to a second floor.

We just recently bought a new house in Tuguegarao City in a Camella Homes development (Vista Land).† It\'s a 2 story, 4 bedroom place with the master bedroom downstairs.

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2010, 03:36:47 PM »
IMO there should be at least a bedroom downstairs for the future in case one no longer can climb stairs ... †

Agree.† I took care of my father in the U.S. before he passed away last year at 86 years old.† Luckily we were in a 1 story house.† He would not have been able to get up and down stairs to a second floor.

We just recently bought a new house in Tuguegarao City in a Camella Homes development (Vista Land).† It\'s a 2 story, 4 bedroom place with the master bedroom downstairs.

We do have a small bedroom on the ground with its own bathroom that was intended for Bing\'s mother before she passed away recently. It will now be used as a guest room unless we need it. I originally designed the stairs with† a wide tread and shallow risers to make it easy to climb for us senior citizens† ;D. Unfortunately this is one of the many areas where mistakes were made. We are now looking into the possibility of demolishing them and rebuilding in a slightly different arrangement. It partly depends on the cost compared with removing part of a beam to give more headroom.

Colin

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2010, 09:48:45 PM »

We do have a small bedroom on the ground with its own bathroom .......

At our current rental house we have a front room, a dining room, a kitchen and a tv room, all interconnected and pretty much \'open plan\', and we do use all four rooms amongst five people, often at the same time.

My own house design only has two basic \'retreats\'; kitchen/diner, and front room, so I\'m now toying with the idea of sacrificing the rear half of my planned workshop as an extra downstairs room, a potential bedroom, and building a workshop in the back yard at a later date as cash flow improves.

Colin, could I beg the link to that web site of yours with your house design/progress on? Our \'net is so agonisingly slow out here at sea that it\'ll take a week to search the forum for it.

« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2010, 05:20:44 PM »
Colin, could I beg the link to that web site of yours with your house design/progress on? Our \'net is so agonisingly slow out here at sea that it\'ll take a week to search the forum for it.

No problem  ;D  http://thephilippinejournal.wetpaint.com/

I have just added a few more photos showing the latest problems  :(

Colin

« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2010, 10:04:45 PM »

No problem  ;D  http://thephilippinejournal.wetpaint.com/

I have just added a few more photos showing the latest problems  :(

Colin

Cheers Colin, I have some re-designing to do now.† ;D

I\'m thinking that borrowing extra money for the new house will be no different than continuing to pay £300 a month rent where we are currently living. Once we have moved in, things will be no different financially, except we\'ll own what we are paying for.† ;D

Offline Randor

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2011, 07:21:12 PM »
Rand,

The house you mentioned that fascinates you and showed on your website is a mansion!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_oLylFD2Gruw/S8L0qwmbWJI/AAAAAAAAAcs/rAd5ALGpSyE/s1600/OtonHaus-e.jpg
You sure must have the big bucks to follow suit in that kind of a home construction! Will your new home be a mansion too? Must be nice!
That would be a nice dream home for anybody! I want one of those too, but my pockets aren\'t deep enough! Oh well, I guess we\'ll just make do with what we have! :o ;) Anyway, we love where we live at the present and we\'re settled in for the long term!  ;D

Ezart,

Thanks for your comments. I\'ve been out of town and just got back.

That house you refer to is a very nice place, has 2 big kitchens, 10-ft ceilings and I just love the outer appearance -- except for a bit too much filipinized glitter for my own taste. The owners of that house are an elderly couple who worked 45 years in a flightline kitchen on Guam -- wonderful folks. But they knew nothing about the construction business so when they retired and came back home here, they hired a local trusted contractor.

Of course, one thing I\'ve learned, trusted or not, local contractors get rich from folks who have the bucks to build a house but know nothing about construction. I\'m just fortunate enough to have grown up in a family of architects, carpenters and builders.

Yes, I agree that this house looks like a mansion -- however it is 170 sqm on one floor and it cost these nice folks about P4M to build, which calculates to more than P23,000 per sqm -- thanks to the local contractor.

The house I\'m building will be a 2-story with a total floor area of about 220 sqm -- I expect it to cost less than P3M bcoz I am my own contractor and my own foreman. As far as having big bucks, I don\'t think that applies to me. I have found that with a crew of 3-5 workers and a construction budget of P100,000 per month I can build most any kind of house I want here -- it just depends if I want to take 18 months to finish or 24 months or 36 months or ???. It\'s a trade-off decision most of us probably have to make.

Regards to all, Rand