Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: What Building Mistakes/Issues to look out for??  (Read 33704 times)

Offline Hank S.

• Sr Member
Re: What Building Mistakes/Issues to look out for??
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2011, 11:41:57 AM »

Alternative to Hollow Blocks

After experiencing the quality of the Cement Blocks available and the way everyone lays the blocks here when I built my small house I made forms and poured solid concrete walls over vertical and horizontal tied rebar

They had never done this before in my area, I had plenty of plywood available from packing crates for our rice mill equipment so the forms were no problem. The house is now 6 years old and still has no cracks in the walls so I guess it is okay

It is actually quicker as you do not need to come back and plaster over the walls as you do with the block walls the cost is close to being the same

When I do use Cement blocks I found the only way to get a quality block is to make them youself I bought a small machine (9,000 Piso 2 guys 300-400 blocks a day ) that vibrates the mix and forms a nice block by doing this you can almost get to the quality of the blocks available in the US

We are planning on building our real house in a couple more years I found this company on the internet that offers you a free cost estimate and uses a new system for building here with poured concrete in my opinion this is the best way to build here

There site is http://www.sibonga.com/

Good Luck on your adventure if you are in Roxas City stop by

Best Regards

Tom

Sibonga is a good outfit, I\'ll be using them myself in a year or so.

Offline rdjlazo@yahoo.com

• Sr Member
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
Folks,
I thought it is undestood here already by most of us
that hollow blocks are not meant to be load bearing
so use good judgment since it used as walls and this is way stronger than
plywood or drywall.
Just my 2 cents,

Best regards to all,
Rudy

« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2011, 03:38:49 PM »
Folks,
plywood or drywall.
Just my 2 cents,

Best regards to all,
Rudy

You can punch the average hollow block in half with your fist, if you have a leather glove on. And often crumble them to pieces with bare hands. They are there merely to fill the spaces in between the concrete pillars and beams.

It doesn\'t have to be that way. The blocks could be made of 3000psi concrete, they could be fully load bearing, like in the western world, but they simply don\'t bother....

Offline rdjlazo@yahoo.com

• Sr Member
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2011, 07:29:47 PM »
That\'s why we should check what we are buying and where we are buying
and only accept what passes our standard. Not all hollow blocks
in the market are inferior if we look hard enough. I have not seen one house that
crumbled to the ground due to bad hollow blocks but maybe i am not
looking hard enough. Again strength of the structures of houses
here depends on post, columns and metal re bars support not hollow blocks.
I see many many nice houses anywhere I go done right and built right.
Just my 2 cents.

Best regards,
Rudy

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2011, 12:34:39 AM »
You can punch the average hollow block in half with your fist, if you have a leather glove on. And often crumble them to pieces with bare hands. They are there merely to fill the spaces in between the concrete pillars and beams.

It doesn\'t have to be that way. The blocks could be made of 3000psi concrete, they could be fully load bearing, like in the western world, but they simply don\'t bother....

The reason they don\'t bother is because the steel reinforced concrete pillars and beams carry 100% of the load.  Then in typical Pinoy fashion they save pisos by using cheaper made HB\'s to fill in the walls.  Almost makes sense when you consider the income of he average Pinoy. 

However, when we did the house for our family I insisted on stronger HB\'s and actually got what I asked for (this time).   So we have the added advantage of strong reinforced beams and pillars, plus stronger walls, with a fine finish inside and out.  YMMV
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2011, 03:17:14 AM »
The reason they don\'t bother is because the steel reinforced concrete pillars and beams carry 100% of the load.  Then in typical Pinoy fashion they save pisos by using cheaper made HB\'s to fill in the walls.  Almost makes sense when you consider the income of he average Pinoy. 

Maybe they have to use concrete beams because of earthquake risks? But if not, and the blocks were made to acceptable standards, which simply requires a  little more cement putting in, then there would be no need for those dozens of cubic yards of concrete, shuttering, re-bar, labour etc, to build the concrete pillars and beams. Wouldn\'t that be cheaper than saving a few piso per block?

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2011, 05:15:23 AM »

Maybe they have to use concrete beams because of earthquake risks?

The Philippines is seismically (sp) very active, as the 5.0 quake in Baguio today attests to.  That and the typhoons with their accompanying torrential rains is reason enough for me to build my house like a commercial bank vault.   ;D   You could probably get away with something less and spend slightly less money.  But I\'m more than comfortable with a reinforced concrete framework.  I also plan to use the foam wall panels like Colin has for insulation from the heat of the day.   

« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2011, 12:41:49 PM »
Earthquacks  and typhoons in the Philippines, (as other tropical islands), is a good thing to consider with where to live! To decide is a very personal and important thing, IMO!!!

A bit of research can find that the Luzon area and North, as well as the whole Easter Coast has the biggest problems with natural situations.

Many......MANY expats.......... will brag about there locations in the Philippines, excepting the conditions found over time.

It is up to the newbies to decide! where to live, not other reports as a MUST!!

There are two Islands that I have found with my very limited research that doesn\'t have such natural situations are, the Western areas of Cebu Island and the Western area of Negros Oriental Island, I do not know of other areas!!

But, with how the World in now turning, how this will remain is UNKNOWN! or how things will be on ANY tropical Islands!

NOTE: Any foreigner, regardless of Nationality, needs to be ~~WISE~~ or just except what is found!!!
B-Ray

« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2011, 11:53:14 PM »
As big a disbeliever as I am in the \'Man Made Global Warming\' theory that pushed by so many, I realise something is happening to the planet.  Or at least the tiny sliver of it we human beans inhabit.

I am very surprised at the oddball weather that is appearing all over the planet, from the US to Oz, the UK to the PI.  I\'ve asked our planned/prospective builder/contractor to make sure our house is at least 1/2 metre above all surrounding ground. I\'ve seen some places in our sub-div built below the road they are adjacent to. A sure opportunity for rain and lahar to flood their abode, should Pinatubo decide to clear its throat again.

« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2011, 07:45:04 AM »
As big a disbeliever as I am in the \'Man Made Global Warming\' theory that pushed by so many, I realise something is happening to the planet.  Or at least the tiny sliver of it we human beans inhabit.

I am very surprised at the oddball weather that is appearing all over the planet, from the US to Oz, the UK to the PI.  I\'ve asked our planned/prospective builder/contractor to make sure our house is at least 1/2 metre above all surrounding ground. I\'ve seen some places in our sub-div built below the road they are adjacent to. A sure opportunity for rain and lahar to flood their abode, should Pinatubo decide to clear its throat again.

Our lot slopes very gently down from the road, and this road has been raised above the level of the nearby National Highway. Our side of the Nation Highway is higher than the other side where some houses are lower than the road. It is interesting to see that Robinsons are now building on the lower side of the National Highway but they are trucking in enormous quantities of backfill and soil.

Because we built toward the back of our lot, we raised our house 1.2 metres to bring it level with the road. It has resulted in costing a lot for backfill for both the house and the drive leading to it. The remaining garden does get a little waterlogged in very heavy rain, so we will need to buy a lot of good garden soil later to run that water off onto the neighbouring lots  ;D

Colin

Offline oldehappycat

« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2011, 09:33:59 AM »
I think the idea that the strength of walls is not important is wrong.  Yes, the columns and beams can carry vertical loads but earthquakes forces are mostly lateral.  Wall stiffness (shear strength) is critical to prevent the building from self-destructing.  I recommend that anyone planning to build in the Philippines first buy the book \"Peace of Mind in Earthquake Country\".  I built our house first and then read the book.  It\'s available used (Amazon, ABE) for a dollar.  There are so many things I would do differently!

Bob

Folks,
plywood or drywall.
Just my 2 cents,

Best regards to all,
Rudy

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2011, 04:55:11 AM »
 I recommend that anyone planning to build in the Philippines first buy the book \"Peace of Mind in Earthquake Country\".  I built our house first and then read the book.  It\'s available used (Amazon, ABE) for a dollar.  

Bob

Some used copies of the book are even as cheap as $.01 (one cent) plus $3.99 shipping, of course.    ;)   ;D
Still a good idea to learn as much as possible before you begin to build.  You may have to make some design changes and you certainly don\'t want to attempt that mid-construction. 

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2011, 12:07:18 PM »
Have you thought about using compressed earth block?  Otherwise known as CEB they are use a general 50-50 clay sand soil with between 8-17% portland cement powder.  The sand soil mix can go up to 40-60 either way and still have good results.  There are simple field tests that can be done to determine optimum recipe for the local soil type.

CEB blocks are compressed using either a hydraulic ram or a manual ram.  They typically are made in a lego shape and bonded together with a 2 part epoxy glue or a small amount of mortar applied with a device like a frosting bag or large squeeze bottle.

Properly made CEB blocks will test between 1200-1400 psi with a passing grade of 800psi is the industry standard. 

Stabilised CEB blocks do not melt in the rain and can endure long periods of submersion in water.  They are a standard building product in Brazil, with a similar climate as the Philippines.

with a manual machine, and a motor driven soil pulverizor, 3 man can produce about 700-1000 block a day depending on how hard they work, ergonomics etc.  it takes about 2500 blocks to build a small house.

downsides:  CEB blocks take a long time to cure and the curing process has to be strictly monitored.  the blocks are made with a mixture that is around 5-7% moisture.  they have to be placed on a pallet and covered with plastic.  they need to be lightly misted with water a couple times a day for 4 days and kept covered.  they can be transported after 7 days and need about 28 days from start to finish to use for building.

Upside, they can be made from local subsoil on site.  Properly constructed CEB buildings do not use the filipino cement beam construction method, you can forgo beams with the Brazillian construction method which would be too long to go into here. 

CEB have the appearance when cured of a clay fired brick.  A good CEB machine makes the block in a lego shape so they interlock together, making assemble, and alignment much easier.

CEB blocks are not suitable for paving block.  A CEB machine can make a paving block however.  As always you need to supervise your employees well otherwide they will cut corners. 

CEB construction should only be done by people who do not cut corners and shoddy work. 

CEB construction can save enough in costs to make it cost effective for a hard working man who has standards to compete and win against shoddy/corrupt contractors in both costs and quality.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2011, 08:57:17 AM »
\"Properly constructed CEB buildings do not use the filipino cement beam construction method, you can forgo beams with the Brazillian construction method which would be too long to go into here.\"

Well, what better place to go into it you go into it than here on the Forum?   ???
Can you at least provide us with a link to a website that explains it. 
Don\'t leave us hanging, man!  ;D

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2011, 11:54:37 PM »
Well you can see some of the documentation at OSRlivong.org  and there are plenty of videos on YouTube in Portugese.  Search for tijolo ecological, or CEB press.