Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: What Building Mistakes/Issues to look out for??  (Read 37173 times)

Re: What Building Mistakes/Issues to look out for??
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2010, 09:26:37 AM »
There are some good info links from another thread elsewhere on this forum. One problem people noted was sometimes they worked too efficiently, and water got too hot to be safe. I reckon it will be another interesting project to add to my \'bucket list\'.† †;D

You don\'t really need these evacuated tube designs that you can sometimes see in hardware stores. They are expensive and designed for colder climates.

Colin

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2010, 11:56:33 AM »
There are some good info links from another thread elsewhere on this forum. One problem people noted was sometimes they worked too efficiently, and water got too hot to be safe. I reckon it will be another interesting project to add to my \'bucket list\'.† †;D

You don\'t really need these evacuated tube designs that you can sometimes see in hardware stores. They are expensive and designed for colder climates.

Colin

Nahh, dark plastic water hose will probably be the material of choice to start with.† ;D

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2010, 12:31:14 PM »
Black poly coil hippie pipe would be the easiest, but it does not have a very large storage volume...
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2010, 09:36:18 PM »
Black poly coil hippie pipe would be the easiest, but it does not have a very large storage volume...

I would probably use it to thermo-syphon through a large water tank. Tank would be black too.

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2010, 12:00:56 PM »
Solar water heating too hot to be safe?

Why isn\'t there a mixing, (hot/cold), valve at the receiving end??

There things to play with for solar type water heating depending how creative you are.

Radiant heat works great without the direct sun rays to heat water. Secondary heating means like flex tubing could be used. Down hole well tubing comes to mind. Using hot water, maybe the tubing can be made into \"U\" shape using a hand made form and save the fittings??
B-Ray

We too shall have some sort of solar heating system for the hot water. maybe even something as simple as a flat black water tank outside.

I am thinking on the lines of a sheet of corrugated iron with metal pipes wired into the troughs and all painted black. If it needs a boost I will put a sheet of glass over it.

Colin

Offline Randor

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2010, 01:17:33 PM »
I\'d like to add a few comments based on my experience
and that of a friend building our houses here in Iloilo.

In my case, it involves building a 56-sqm workshop (our
temp. quarters until house is finished), also the perimeter
fence, bahay kubo, and septic system, as well as digging
a well and installing a water system.

Our own project is here -- although the website has not
been update since about May 2010 --

http://casaparara.blogspot.com/

My friend\'s building project is here (already completed) --

http://goiloilo.com/being-your-own-contractor-in-the-philippines/

Living in the P.I a total 4 1/2 years & building here over
these last 12 months, has given me a much clearer view
into the realities of life in these islands. My experiences
and challenges and frustrations are very similar to several
others on this forum.

Also, the info derived from this forum over 2-3 years has
been very helpful and much appreciated. Very fortunately,
we learned early on that the riskiest and most expensive
way to build a house is hiring a contractor.

With a contractor, building cost (no furnishings included)
can easily exceed P20,000 per sqm. I would recommend,
whenever possible, to be one\'s own contractor,

Served as his own contractor, buying all the materials and
overseeing the construction, my friend\'s finished building
cost (2010 construction) is about P15,000 per sq m.

They moved into their new house last month. It is a
gorgeous house and most of all build quality is good.

Benefiting from lessons my friend and I have learned and
the good fortune of a close relative as our lead carpenter-
electrician-mason and serving as my own contractor AND
foreman, we expect cost to be P10K per sq m or even less.

Holiday Greetings to all.

More later.

Rand

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2010, 09:48:35 PM »
Solar water heating too hot to be safe?

Why isn\'t there a mixing, (hot/cold), valve at the receiving end??

Oh there will be, but if you can have water near boiling point coming out of the shower, then you always have real potential to scald young skin. Turn a tap the wrong way, and you\'re in serious trouble.

I think anything above 60c can blister a childs skin.

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2010, 10:22:32 PM »
I\'ve recently discovered Sketchup and my wife and I are toying with ideas for our new house. We wanted 100 sq metres on each floor, as that seemed to work with the space we wanted, but we\'re seeing prices of 15-17,000 pesos per sq m, so we need to shrink our planned home for financial reasons. The problem is I want a large workshop, so that takes nearly half the ground floor. 8 x 5 metres.

Our lot is only 300sq metres, 15 wide x 20 deep, and we want some garden left front and rear, so ideally the garage has to be part of the house.

I can\'t seem to visualise whether the rooms will be big enough. We don\'t need huge rooms, but we want them bigger than we had in the UK, where you have to shuffle furniture, beds etc, just to get them in the rooms and leave walking space.

What would you guys say is the minimum ideal bedroom size? We\'re thinking nearly 4m x 4m would be adequate. What about the sala, kitchen etc?

The overall view, my rough copy of a Mediterranean house the wife really likes:

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2010, 10:56:17 PM »
IMO there should be at least a bedroom downstairs for the future in case one no longer can climb stairs and we only have electric water pressure demand type shower heaters which works great for those cold days or nights, no need to run hot water throughout the whole house unless that\'s what one wants to do! Our lot is only 187 sq mtrs, but our 2 bedroom 2 story home is just fine for me and my wife and we live in a nice clean and quiet gated subdivision with at least 600 other Mediterrainian style homes and everything is centrally located for convenience.
After the New Year, we plan to enclose our back yard and also have a terrace on top since our view is unobstructed! We intend to renovate our present TV room into a master bedroom and our kitchen into a maid\'s quarters and then in the back, will be our kitchen/dining rm and entertainment room with a big screen TV, pool table and mini bar. Our home is valued at P5 million at today\'s market value, prices of lots now range from P10,000 to P14,000 per square meters and the smallest lot available is around 150 sq mtrs! Our home is the only one in our subdivision that has an enclosed 2 car garage! All my other rich neighbors only have open carports or they park their luxury vehicles out on the street! My old 1979 \"Little Red\"Toyota is well pampered! ;D    

Check it out here on our photo album website;    
http://cid-fe19b476fe6c788f.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/Our%20little%20house%20in%20the%20Philippines  

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2010, 11:54:08 PM »
IMO there should be at least a bedroom downstairs for the future in case one no longer can climb stairs and we only have electric water pressure demand type shower heaters which works great for those cold days or nights, no need to run hot water throughout the whole house unless that\'s what one wants to do! Our lot is only 187 sq mtrs, but our 2 bedroom 2 story home is just fine for me and my wife and we live in a nice clean and quiet gated subdivision with at least 600 other Mediterrainian style homes and everything is centrally located for convenience.
After the New Year, we plan to enclose our back yard and also have a terrace on top since our view is unobstructed! We intend to renovate our present TV room into a master bedroom and our kitchen into a maid\'s quarters and then in the back, will be our kitchen/dining rm and entertainment room with a big screen TV, pool table and mini bar. Our home is valued at P5 million at today\'s market value, prices of lots now range from P10,000 to P14,000 per square meters and the smallest lot available is around 150 sq mtrs! Our home is the only one in our subdivision that has an enclosed 2 car garage! All my other rich neighbors only have open carports or they park their luxury vehicles out on the street! My old 1979 \"Little Red\"Toyota is well pampered! ;D    

Check it out here on our photo album website;    
http://cid-fe19b476fe6c788f.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/Our%20little%20house%20in%20the%20Philippines  

That\'s a great place you have there, very nice. And you have better scenery than we will, our area is fairly crowded, no pretty views at all.

We paid 5000 a sq m for our patch, which is a tad below average for Timog park, but it is against the perimeter wall, which people don\'t seem too keen on.

It appears open car ports are the thing around here too, as very few houses have a proper garage. One place has the whole ground floor as an enclosed garage, with accommodation on the second floor. Nice.

I hear what you\'re saying about a bedroom on the ground floor, as my mum in law is of the opinion it is more secure with someone sleeping downstairs, plus she is a little unsteady on her feet, so she may be elected to have a downstairs bedroom.† ;D

I just need to get my head around room sizes to try and squeeze everything into place. We really don\'t want to build the place, then find we have \'undersized\' ourselves. I feel a loss of garage space may have to happen. Or a bigger house, at more expense than I really want.†  :(

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2010, 12:52:35 AM »
Rand,

The house you mentioned that fascinates you and showed on your website is a mansion!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_oLylFD2Gruw/S8L0qwmbWJI/AAAAAAAAAcs/rAd5ALGpSyE/s1600/OtonHaus-e.jpg
You sure must have the big bucks to follow suit in that kind of a home construction! Will your new home be a mansion too? Must be nice!
That would be a nice dream home for anybody! I want one of those too, but my pockets aren\'t deep enough! Oh well, I guess we\'ll just make do with what we have! :o ;) Anyway, we love where we live at the present and we\'re settled in for the long term!  ;D

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2010, 01:30:36 AM »
We too had dreams of building our sizeable and perfect dream home, but 4,000,000+peso ($100,000+) for our original design† is far too much cabbage for a second house.† :\'(

Maybe if we sold our house in the UK.......

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2010, 01:36:42 PM »
We too had dreams of building our sizeable and perfect dream home, but 4,000,000+peso ($100,000+) for our original design† is far too much cabbage for a second house.† :\'(

Maybe if we sold our house in the UK.......

If you want a reasonable quality home you need to think in the order of P15,000+ per square metre. If you then want one that is a reasonable size for a family, then the answer is..........................sell your house in the UK.

When we first moved here I kept my bungalow in the UK and thought about a remortgage to build here. Unfortunately my age restricted the repayment time and therefore the amount I was prepared to pay in repayments. I tried a few designs for the lower cost but in the end sold my house. That then allowed me to build my Chateau/Mansion† ;D It did help that we only had to pay P600 per square metre for land here on Palawan.

Colin

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2010, 06:17:11 PM »
We too had dreams of building our sizeable and perfect dream home, but 4,000,000+peso ($100,000+) for our original design †is far too much cabbage for a second house. †:\'(

It did help that we only had to pay P600 per square metre for land here on Palawan.

Colin

PM me for price/sqm We paid on Panglao Island †;)

We did have to buy 8800sqm but subdivision waits in the wings down the road † We\'ll keep 1200-1500sqm lot and sell the rest to pay for house building.

Real estate broker who put us onto the deal recently bought adjacent 2200sqm lot and wll split her lot.....(talk about pinoys copying good ideas †;D )

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2010, 09:38:57 PM »

If you want a reasonable quality home you need to think in the order of P15,000+ per square metre. If you then want one that is a reasonable size for a family, then the answer is..........................sell your house in the UK.

When we first moved here I kept my bungalow in the UK and thought about a remortgage to build here. Unfortunately my age restricted the repayment time and therefore the amount I was prepared to pay in repayments. I tried a few designs for the lower cost but in the end sold my house. That then allowed me to build my Chateau/Mansion† ;D It did help that we only had to pay P600 per square metre for land here on Palawan.

Colin

We have been told that 15,000 is about the lowest we can expect to pay, but 17,000 is more in line. That would pop out our 200sq m plan at 3.5 million, which is more than I really want to pay.

We had been quoted 2 to 2.5 million for a \'nice\' three bedroom house, but it turned out that would be about 150 sq.

But, if it wasn\'t for my demands for a large 50sq workshop included in the house,† then that price would fall right in line with what we want.

We could build me a single storey workshop later, in the back yard, but that gets complicated.