Author Topic: How can an American citizen find a job here in the Philippines  (Read 7573 times)

Offline angel100274

Hi my name is Angeli, i just joined this group exactly around 20 mins ago. 

Me and my fiance Ralph Kenneth Ward who is coming here by September, decided that we will live here in the Philippines. Our concern now is how will we be able to get started.  Well him getting a job here. We had been surfing the net finding means and ways to get into any associations or institutions that could help us get started.  But mostly to no avail yet, from series of email we have had.  We are hoping that thru this site we will be able to get some network, connections or communication to anyone who could help us as we start our own family.

Thank you and I am very much hoping and praying for a favorable response.

Salamat,

ANGELI

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: How can an American citizen find a job here in the Philippines
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 03:36:26 AM »
Hello Angeli,
Welcome to the forum.
Jobs there are slim to none and the pay will be lees if you do find one.
If your fiance is not Filipino good luck at all (foreigners cannot work)and if you do not have a 4 year college degree, you might not even have a shot at flipping burgers at McDo.
There are exceptions to every rule so it is not impossible... but...Good luck.

RUFUS
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 07:05:44 AM »
Hi my name is Angeli, i just joined this group exactly around 20 mins ago. 

Me and my fiance Ralph Kenneth Ward who is coming here by September, decided that we will live here in the Philippines. Our concern now is how will we be able to get started.  Well him getting a job here. We had been surfing the net finding means and ways to get into any associations or institutions that could help us get started.  But mostly to no avail yet, from series of email we have had.  We are hoping that thru this site we will be able to get some network, connections or communication to anyone who could help us as we start our own family.

Thank you and I am very much hoping and praying for a favorable response.

Salamat,

ANGELI

Welcome to the group Angeli and Ralph.Glad to have you both here and we will of course give you all the help we can.

While certainly not an expert of \"job finding\" in the Philippines, I agree with my friend Rufus when he says somewhat like this \"slim to none\"

As I am sure you are aware of the high rate of unemployment especially in the provinces has put the RP in the same global economic mess as the rest of the world. Metro Manila certainly offers more of a chance but then unless you have the advantage of youth ( you will find very few to none 50 year old Americans working in the grocery stores of Manila even if it is packing groceries.

Being below 26,having a four year degree does give you an edge but almost and maybe more so is having a \"personal backer\" or \"sponsor\" of someone who will go to bat for you at the place you want to work. You will find for example even within the banking industry here a high rate of nepotism when it comes to who gets the jobs.

I know of some small town police stations that have an amazing number of officers all with the same last name.If you have enough captial to start your own business, which you must own, for Kenneth can not, you could start a business, but there is as you know this \"crab mentality\" here in the Philippines where your prices will be undercut by your competitors even if they take a loss as long as they get you to give up and go away.That is not meant in any way to impugn  the Filipino Businessmen , for they and the Chinese are some great Capitalist at times when needed.

Now with all that said, you get used to me, (i am long winded  :)  it can\'t be done, for with a certain set of skills computer for one, or just being really really great what ever you do, say it architecture, engineer , you may be able to land a job with a US based company through transfer.

Probably the best two people to ask on this site about your questions or both moderators one is Jack (greywolf) and the Other is Wayne a man of many varied talents who seems to never give up.

Good luck in your search and welcome aboard.

The \"Murf\"

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 07:42:20 AM »
Hello Angeli and let me also welcome you to the forum.

As others have said, there are few jobs in the Philippines for foreigners, since I am sure you know that there are not even enough for Filipinos, a few exceptions that we have found here in Cebu are, teaching English at some of the Korean schools, teaching call center workers how to speak with as little accent as possible and working in one of the foreign owned companies such as Lexmark etc. Jobs are now far and few because of the economic downturn and there are also less Korean students and less call center work now, so your future husband will have to be very lucky to find a job. The other way to earn a living that some are doing is on the Internet as content writers but I know little about that so maybe someone else might chime in and try to help with information or you might tell Ralph to research that while still in his home country.

One last way that I know of is to have a VOIP (voice over Internet phone) and receive customer calls for a company back in the west but that might be cost prohibitive because a good VOIP unit would cost at least $30 a month and then there is DSL and a computer etc. and the hours here would be upside down to the states and some other countries that hire people to do things like that. 

Most expats that seem to do the best in the Philippines are retirees and most including myself, would advise against moving to the Philippines without at least some monthly income from abroad. Good luck and best wishes.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 08:02:10 AM »
Hi Angeli,

I agree with all the others, the chances of being employed by any company is virtually zero. The only possibillity is, if you have some capitol, is to start your own business. Unfortunately this is not easy either, because nearly every Filipino is trying to do the same thing. It is amazing just how many Internet cafes and Sari-sari stores there are and none of them make much money. If you go to the market you will see dozens of stalls side by side all selling the same thing!!!! We have even got a relative who wants to borrow money from us to start a money lending business ;D We won\'t agree to that on principle. My wife wants to start her own business, but so far we have not come up with anything that looks promising. The important thing to remember is that labour is cheap and the people with money are foreigners.
Anyway, good luck.

Colin

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 08:25:58 AM »
Hi Angeli,

I am the Wayne spoken of previously. Firstly, Welcome to our little group and glad to have you here.

Secondly and most seriously, if your fiance is looking for work here, he is better staying where he is and having you go to him for a couple of years, get permanent in his country, then even citizenship there and finally retire here, not the other way around.

An example of a possible job that he might be able to get in the RP and the upside down nature of the beast. Salaries are low in the Philippines, and it does not matter the color of your skin or your education level. When my wife, a double degree holder worked in the Call Center trade, she was getting 15,000 php a month and that included night duty pay. Now 15k is not bad, but its not good either, that\'s working all hours, starting late at night and finishing early morning. Its only 313 USD per month, not per day or even per week, its per month. Now before he can even get a workers permit, you would have to be married.

After marriage, there is a 13a visa to apply for and have it made permanent, then there is a workers permit to apply for, pay for and have it granted, easily a 1-2 year process.

Now if he comes over to you, you must live in a major industrial area in one of the big cities for any of this to happen, so you would have to live in Cebu, Manila or Davao.

Now if you decided to start a beer business or a sari-sari, figure on having 50K USD to start with and finance the business for the first couple of years. Allow another 50K USD to find somewhere to live and furnish the place to western standards, allow 5K for a car, and you might need a driver, so allow for driver and yaya wages as well.

So for him to come to you and live whilst not working, I would have 200 - 300k USD on hand to contingencies before you even start thinking about it. By his name I am guessing he is either English or Australian, either way where ever he is from, you should go to his country on a fiance visa, marry there, work there and get acclimated for 10 years, then when he retires, you will have enough saved to come back and retire in peace.

Wayne  ;D
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 10:35:21 AM »
Here is another suggestion, have Ralph do a search for customer service jobs on the internet while he is still in the states, and do some research. I just searched that and there are a number of companies that offer jobs such as those. I know Willow was one of them that a friends wife worked for and while it would not be enough money to survive in the states, they or others might provide a basic income to survive on in the Philippines. Again, the hours would be upside down from the states and 12 or 13 hours off from the east coast depending on the time of year, but maybe some company might need a night shift and that would be daytime in the Philippines. Again, good luck.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 10:41:35 AM »
Angeli, I\'m afraid it\'s going to be unanimous.  There are millions of Pinoy who are ahead of him in line.  As you know unemployment and underemployment is rampant in the RP.  Those lucky enough to find a job usually earn from $3-$5 per day.  Not per hour.  Per day.  That\'s for college graduates mind you.  To get this they have to work 10-12 hours a day for six days a week.  Also, as you know, the RP is very age oriented.  By the time you\'re 35 you\'re already old.  Look in your local newspaper and you\'ll see ads requiring that the applicant be less than 25 or less than 30 and so on.  I\'ve seen some ads that required the applicant to be \"beautiful\" or even to \"have good teeth\".  All this is for the native Pinoy.  What chance then does a foreigner have?  Slim to none.  And Slim just left town.  And I didn\'t even mention the work permit problems he would have as the others above have done. 

Bottom line, unless he has a income from his home country or a pile of cash somewhere he\'s out of luck.  What\'s your plan B?

Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 10:58:35 AM »
Angeli,

First off...don\'t be discouraged by the answers you read...just take them to heart and see that we are just trying to provide you the real picture of living in the Philippines...and surviving.

Yes, it can be done as Mr. Lee stated, or if you have enough capitol to start a business in the Philippines you could give it a try, but you really have to diversify your sales and inventory to make any kind of money on your investment.  Its iffy to just survive on your profits, and more than likely you both would grow to resent your lifestyle after a while.  As stated many times before, if you don\'t have a permanent income, its highly unlikely you will be able to survive here in paradise. 

But, like the others, thats just my opinion... 8)

Oh, and welcome to the group!

Greg R.
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 11:25:59 AM »
I have met quite a few expats that work for foreign outfits from here in the P.I.
All they seem to need is a computer. One of them was an architect and another a web designer though not sure about the others. Not sure how the world recession has effected them since either.
Depending on what he does for a living of course but perhaps this may be an option.

We have a business that supports us well here so its far from impossible.
Add up the 20 odd years of my own business failure in this country and its obviously not something that I would recommend that you do.

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 12:27:11 PM »
Apparently your guy is under retirement age. the question arises, does he have a nest egg, (money), sit aside in something now?

If so, then there are things you two can do, (depending on his abilities), beside him looking for work here.

On a visitors visa, he can not work here, PERIOD!

Finding a foreign company located in the Philippines that would hire him before coming here is possible. Again, depending on his abilities/background if the company would want him in the 1st place!

If he doesn\'t have an desirable trade that\'s needed, again the chances are slim to none in getting hired.

Your guy needs to figure what reality is in the Philippines and not what he could expect in the USA! American logic more likely, doesn\'t apply elsewhere.
B-Ray

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 04:33:20 AM »
Angel,

Welcome to LinPC!  Since my name has been dragged into the fray, I\'ll speak up.   ;D

First of all, don\'t get discouraged by the seemingly negative answers you\'re getting form everyone.  All we\'re trying to do is be honest and give you straight answers.  I would certainly hate to be the one to encourage you by saying, \"Oh yeah!  It\'s easy!  Come on over!\" and then read about how you\'ve both been living on the streets with no money and little food. 

Looking at Ralph\'s picture, it appears that he is close to retirement age.  Am I correct?  If so, he would soon be eligible for Social Security payments, and that would most likely be enough for the two of you to live on. 
Do you have a job?  With his SS pension and your income, you could certainly get by in reasonable comfort.

There is virtually little chance that Ralph will be able to find a job in the RP, and if he did by some chance do so, what does he expect to be paid?  I hope you have been honest with him and advised him of the kind of pay Filipinos get for the long hours they put in.  I\'m relatively young, compared to most of the expats in the RP, and I wouldn\'t want to work for Filipino wages.  No way!

But, don\'t get totally discouraged.  Continue to search the internet and ask questions here and maybe one of you will find that one-in-a-million spot for Ralph.

Good luck!

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline ralph

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 09:12:49 AM »
  Thank You everyone for your input. While it doesnt sound promising about jobs,i will not abandon my goal of being with my wife and kids (while not actually leagally married in our hearts we are already a family). Her/our kids are very young and need the stability of home, That is the reason for my coming to the RP.I dont have a nest egg and am 12 years from retirement. As far as my needing the comforts of usa living not needed. Im simple hardworking and the only thing I need is a roof and the love of Angeli and the kids. which i already have which makes me very rich. So ill keep looking for ways to get there and stay. I made a promise almost a year ago that we would be a happy family forever. I intend to honor that . So if any one has connections or ideas please continue to supply us.  thank You Ralph

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 05:35:04 PM »
Hello Ralph and Angeli.

I think your not being legally married will even make it more difficult for you to find a job in the Phils.  When you do finally travel to the Phils. you will be on a tourist visa and as you may or may not know, you will be breaking a law if and when you work.  I wouldn\'t mess with other country\'s laws, if you get my drift.

I agree with what others have suggested.  Your only option is to set up your own business. It might be easier for Angeli to find work - if there are any. However, you must also face the reality that you might not be able to get a job there.  If you don\'t work and you\'re not receiving your SS pension yet, this will definitely test your relationship with each other.

I wish you both the best of luck and much happiness to your family.

meylou
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 06:50:10 PM »
Ralph,

Bring Angeli and the kids to the USA. A fiance visa is easy to get, and she can bring the kids over quickly as well. You would be better off living there till she gets citizenship, she is a permanent resident as soon as she marries you, raise the kids in US schools then head back to the RP when you are ready for retirement in 12 years.

Wayne :D
Wayne  ;D ;D