Author Topic: How can an American citizen find a job here in the Philippines  (Read 7568 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: How can an American citizen find a job here in the Philippines
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 12:07:52 AM »
Ralph,

Bring Angeli and the kids to the USA. A fiance visa is easy to get, and she can bring the kids over quickly as well. You would be better off living there till she gets citizenship, she is a permanent resident as soon as she marries you, raise the kids in US schools then head back to the RP when you are ready for retirement in 12 years.

Wayne :D

Add to this that if she comes to the US, gets a job and works for at least 10 years, she would be eligible for a modest SS pension check when she\'s older.†
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Nashkat

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 10:19:02 PM »
Ralph,

Bring Angeli and the kids to the USA. A fiance visa is easy to get, and she can bring the kids over quickly as well. You would be better off living there till she gets citizenship, she is a permanent resident as soon as she marries you, raise the kids in US schools then head back to the RP when you are ready for retirement in 12 years.

Wayne :D

Add to this that if she comes to the US, gets a job and works for at least 10 years, she would be eligible for a modest SS pension check when she\'s older.†

Hi Ralph,

First off I wish you and your pamilia the best! Now I read Wayne\'s comment stating that Angeli is a permanent resident as soon as you are married here in the states....sadly this is not true. The US DOES NOT automatically offer citizenship or residency to foreigners married to a US citizen, Your best option is still to bring her here on a Fiance Visa, get married here within the 90 day time period allowed by law, then start applying for the residency, work papers, etc. Normally this process can take as little as 6 - 9 months for the Fiance visa, then up to 2 years for the rest. Once again I bid you and the family my best wishes, God speed!

Offline DoctorM

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 09:31:32 AM »
As a tourist, you are not allowed to work.
As a resident you could, but you\'ll find Filipino salaries so low, you won\'t be able to survive on it.
If you had some cash, you might be able to start a small business under the name of your Filipina partner.† I\'ve seen business from Small okay-okay stores, to home-made donuts, to beauty shops.† Most expats, however, need an indendent income source, such as a retirement annuity.†
I snagged a position as a professor in a national university, but it only paid the equivalent of $100 a month.† I didn\'t need the money, and it was more a hobby, which I enjoyed.† I only knew one expat, a Brit, who had to work for a living in the Philippines, and he and his family had a terrible time making ends meet.† He finally went to China to work.

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 02:36:35 PM »
Well DoctorM, you have found another one depending on generating peso income here in the Philippines and doing very well I might add in the housing rental business started from a nest egg I sent over and reinvesting some to grow too presently 6 units with only one mortgaged. Yet, funds ran out, BUT couldn\'t pass up a great deal!!† ;D

Granted, no nest egg for a start up business in this Country, is a VERY hard road to travel!!
B-Ray

Offline Juaning

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 04:58:38 PM »
It\'s kind of sad, but its one of those situations where if you have to ask, it almost will never happen.† The few Ive met who just got lucky being hired by a company in the US to work there often had no plans for it, it just happened (and they often don\'t even appreciate the country).† I\'ve still got a few friends who work in the country and I have worked there twice.† You have to have the skills and almost always know someone.† There are legions of people who love the country and would do anything to be employed there.† When FEDEX was opening at Subic there was a mad rush of people trying to get on there, many with extensive aviation skills.† I only know two who made it and alot of good it did them, it closed down and relocated after a few years.† If your serious about working there besides the nest egg and starting your own business as mentioned in the other posts; you have to net work, net work, net work.† There were quite a few western businesses in the free trade zones in Subic and Angeles before, but I hear that is not so much the case now.† Don\'t forget the NGO\'s, there are hundred\'s and hundred\'s of them, still very difficult to get into though.