Author Topic: I guess day three pictures? Murfs and Jens house  (Read 4756 times)

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
I guess day three pictures? Murfs and Jens house
« on: May 30, 2009, 11:13:32 AM »
Sorry guys and gals, for being a little tardy, but after the other day and my bout with my health it had me not only down for two days but tried its best too win this battle I wage with it.

Partly due to my own stupidity I wanted so bad to watch the first pouring of the concrete for this is the first hollow block all cement home I have built, and I ingested about a half of hour of pure concrete dust. When after being helped up stairs I proceeded to puke up dark blood and what appeared to be tobacco even though I don’t smoke or certainly chew, just a part of my lungs coming up with it.

The wife god bless her got on the phone to Manila called my docs who advised me to fly immediately to Cebu to Doctors Hospital where they would be willing to take care of me , at no cost, but  this disease is going to have its way with me one way or the other, I just won’t go peacefully into the night.
I write this to except or want no sympathy, for there is not a thing I would change about Vietnam, was proud to serve then, if this body would just cooperate still have the skills, just not the strength to teach a thing or two to these far haters of human beings who call them self righteous in a holy war for God.

Just wanted to explain my absence that is all.

Day three started with the first pouring of the footing for the upright columns. So the night before we had to order a 50 kilo pig alive to cut his throat and spread his blood into each hole. My wife also 3 pesos into each hole along with one rose for the killing of the pig as it was explained to me?
Even as he laid  trussed me keep squealing for he knew what was coming>

The roses for the hole. 13? Don’t quite get the odd number of uprights but guess I will figure it out later.

The start of the construction of the hollow block maker. Really confused over these shots but all I know is they took the center of raw bamboo stuck it in three places in each section and poured concrete. It looks different today but it is covered so I will get more pictures after they start to use it.

Someone, they call him :BB: when I asked why they said just his nickname, here he struggles with a heavy upright rebar column.

One of the rebar fittings that Captain Ron explained to me, they attach the column to it, of course it fits the diameter of the dug hole perfectly.

A column rebar finishing stating , after the rebar is built in the simple 4 nail jig it is brought here inserted with 4 long bars of rebar and each piece tied off with a piece of metal with a simple hand tool.

Things had changed since I stayed in bed yesterday, when I awoke this am the whole area had a shape that I could almost comprehend; except where in the hell is the foundation for the second floor?

Long way to go “Murf” but nothing in life that is of any worth comes to you easily, for if it it did, I would have no worth!

God Bless All.

The “Murf”

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: I guess day three pictures? Murfs and Jens house
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 02:50:20 PM »
WOOHOO!
Go Murf Go
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 03:09:11 PM »
I recommend the attachment of the Breathing Apparatus Filter known as a face mask, just tell them you have pig flue. Stay on the sidelines and don\'t breath the cement powder, its a myth spread by RUFUS that you can get high by sniffing the stuff.

Wayne  ;D ;D
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 03:12:44 PM »
just make sure your attachment of breathing apparatus filter does not get deleted by admin ;D
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 06:06:49 PM »
good man murf,
          my mrs and I were at a museum here in donegal yesterday and there was a list of old customs in there, one was that a bottle of whiskey [wat else eh?? omg!] and money would be put in each of the four corners of the foundations for a new house..we were both relating that to Philippine tradition...so there ya go...peoples the world over!

Good to see the pics-it\'s exciting!

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 06:50:47 PM »
Ahh but you see the Irisch is catholic and the Philipinos are catholic, must be a catholic thing.... says me who is of Irisch Heritage and married to a Pinay catholic.

Wayne   ;D ;D
Wayne  ;D ;D

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 07:49:45 PM »
agh an Ozzie leprachaun???
             i have a load of family in Perth in the police..its wat paddy does wen he gets away from here..one of thems a \'defective\' so he\'s doin ok..
             I went to the Philippines as a non practicing catholic [ many many years-since I was old enough to talk back to me Da and he was too old to catch me lol] and out of a population of 90% taigs in RP I found a Protestant lol
             ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTED she\'s such a genuine christian and humble...prays over every meal..so genuine. wont go into wats goin on here..papers calling for priests to be hunted and convicted like nazi\'s after the holocaust..never thought I\'d see it but sure society elite in ireland are all wrapped up in it..THEY KNEW AND KNOW.
             I\'m thinkin of headin to Church Of Ireland with the mrs if she\'s interested.

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 07:55:37 PM »
Coins in the foundation I understand......old sailing ships always had a a tradition of a placing a sovereign \"heads up\" under the mast for good luck.
Not so sure about the roses/flowers.....offering to the gods???

A hell of a lot of modern western customs sayings come from nautical traditions and sayings

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080106135801AAH3Ub4
http://boatingsailing.suite101.com/article.cfm/traditional_nautical_superstitions
http://www.fyi2000.com/NavyTerm.htm

http://www.dauntlessprivateers.org/nautical_sayings.htm

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 10:39:40 PM »
Looking forward to the next installment Murf....always an enjoyable read... :D
Greg & Almira  ;-)

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 07:03:52 PM »
how are you today Murf...hope all\'s going well for you and your health is holding up.
                                God Bless.

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 01:48:27 PM »
My dear Irish Brother and wife, thank you so much for asking and i wish i could say something positive about my health, but ...old Uncle Joe keeps knocking at my door.

I developed a really bad case of mechanical pneumonia  after ingesting all the cement dust which has put me on my back in bed with high fevers and constant coughing and spitting up of blood for 3 days, the VA wanted me on a plane to Manila, i told them to stuff it , if i was going to die it would be taking my last breath holding my wifes hand not in some damn VA Hospital.

Well anyway let me share with you on another page before i get to the house story today, how even a person tragedy can be turned into a beautiful vacation of all places right in your own backyard damn near  that i knew nothing about. i would list it under something like., if you get lemons make lemonade . lol

Murf

God Bless

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 04:37:48 PM »
Murf My friend,
               just read your post-enjoyed it immensly...my wife says it\'s tocilog or tocino sinangag itlog that your wife had for breakfast..she makes that here regular. I love those thunder and lightning storms over there. I could watch them forever.
               Glad you enjoyed your stay at that hotel..it sounds \'the business\' and your description of the challet and the treatment had me missing the Philippines very bad. I love the way the staff in hotels like that treat you with dignity and respect. Even if a part of it is \'the job\' they deffinitely make a vacation an experience. I\'ve not been on a long haul flight in over 3 yrs since we came home here. We were working too damn hard to stay afloat here. But maybe early next year [ january ] I\'ll get out there because I really need my senses and my emoticons treated with something like you described. Three years has been too long. Since I got married my holidays, I had one every few months, ceased very abruptly.
                Hope things ease up on your health Murf. It\'s awful that guys like yourself who faught in the big conflicts of this world and endured a matter of genuine life or death every day for years cannot be provided for a little better. They seem to have money for GM and the banks though. Anyway Murf head up high and God Bless ya. Look forward to following the housebuilding progress in the coming days and weeks.
                Leprechaun63

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 03:54:08 AM »
To My Irish Brother, as usual your wife was exactly right as soon as you said the name I remembered it, still cant say it right in Bisaya, but my learning curve has really taken a hit in the past year with the spread of this disease.

Your letters are always such a bright ray of sunshine in this old Marines life, I laughed so hard yesterday when you said my Hollow Brick maker must be Irish, Hard working, but Hard Drinking.

God how that bring back memories. 

God how I miss those days of my youth, We never bothered any body, no one dared bother us, they knew we were both retired Marines, . I if i want can still drink with the best of them, but i notice it slows me down a little now, so as much as I believe my heart is still 19, my body tells me otherwise.

That is why the Great RP has become so important to me, here i found, peace, contentment, amongst a group of Asia people who know more about True meaning of the word Family than any other country I have ever been.It and my wife and her extended family who show me the upmost respect for i show them the same have taught me the true meaning of unconditional love.

If there is a place closer to be a paradise than this , God is surely keeping it a secret to him/herself.

So as to be clear, no there are parts of the Philippines that certainly would under any circumstances be called a paradise, and it takes a lot of planning and forethought before moving.

Just like the house, probably in a week or so I will have to shut down for awhile for I have already spent 2 million. due to the quality of materials i insisted on, and have a very large family here to support. So i have struck a deal with the engineer to just lay off the crew until i save up another half million pesos and we will start again.It was a miscalculation on my part, and after getting detailed reports in a very readadle format from my engineer some of the material i am buying , just like re bar for example, most construction sites zoned commercial used 8mm rebar, i use 20 and the cost is just out of sight.

I am happy with the progress with my help so am a blessed man.

I don\'t know if i will make it to see it through to its completion , but i have a back up plan , and my wife will be set for life when I die, so i will just have to supervise from where Marines go when they die.

May the wind always be at your back, and face your bow toward the sunset, for its Gods, last picture before he turns on the stars!\'\'

God Bless you both.

The Murf and Jen-Jen

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 04:22:06 PM »
Agh Murf,
             you still got the rootin tootin Irish fightin and work ethic in ya. Didn\'t know you are of \'Dub\' stock! Yep Irish take any job..still near enough do. And will do so even more now the way things are. It\'s what we do. I was teaching English in Korea and came back here to work with Polskis and Russians on building sites in Dublin in order to get my wife home here. Was sleepin on my buddies settee for 2/3 months. Started on the building site wearing an old pair of his boots..he\'s six foot and I\'m 5 ft on \'THE WRACK!\' and the boots were leaking. Was delighted to get my first pay and buy a pair of boots that fitted me!! Myself and an English guy were the only two labourers who spoke english on a dublin building site??? I was glad of his company and to be fair the gaffers looked after us..they did give some of the Russians a bit of abuse...seen em being poked with sticks and told to get their ass into gear lol.
             Then  the mrs got here and she got a job on west coast so we relocated to \'The West\'.
             Your loyalty and lack of regret about life and life choices are admirable. You have great strength of spirit. I hope if I get out there some time soon I can come down and visit you..i\'d love to hear some of your stories and memories first hand. It would be a priviledge. Hope things work out ok for you and your family there with the house. Keep the head up Murf. My wife tells me there\'s a song in the Philippines about there being no beer in heaven-that\'s why we drink it here.
              We enjoy reading your accounts and observations each day...look forward to it in fact.
                             God Bless ya Murf,

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 03:35:30 PM »
leprechaun63 ;D

You know it is people like you and your wife that make life worth both living for and not giving up.

Irish don\'t view the world as most do, we take each day God gives us and are grateful if we can eat that day.My glass is always half full never half empty. Even now when facing my own death which will probably come soon. i am mad at no one especially God.

I have lived a blessed life.And 6 years ago , God seen fit to send me one more gift, in the form of at last bones of my bones and  flesh of my flesh in meeting Jennifer my wonderful wife.

Many years ago I had an uncle Murphy die, he and I were quite close. He had no formal education but was a boat builder by trade> he was so good that he had shrimp boat captains coming up from the gulf of texas to build them a boat in Cambridge, MD.

AS i visited him one day at the hospital he said \"Butch\" my nickname, i want you to read this at my funeral side . I said ok.

So my two new Friends, don\'t be shocked if one day you write and I do not write back,I\'m not talking tomorrow, just sometime within the next 4-6 months.

and so to you both i pass on what was on that paper my uncle gave me, Remember when you think of me.

God Bless you Both.

Remembered Joy
Don\'t grieve for me, for now I\'m free!
I follow the plan God laid for me.
I saw His face, I heard His call,
I took His hand and left it all...
I could not stay another day,
To love, to laugh, to work or play;
Tasks left undone must stay that way.
And if my parting has left a void,
Then fill it with remembered joy.
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss...
Ah yes, these things I, too, shall miss.
My life\'s been full, I\'ve savoured much:
Good times, good friends, a loved-one\'s touch.
Perhaps my time seemed all too brief—
Don\'t shorten yours with undue grief.
Be not burdened with tears of sorrow,
Enjoy the sunshine of the morrow.