Author Topic: Outrageous electricity charges at our new house  (Read 9506 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Re: Outrageous electricity charges at our new house
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2012, 02:04:22 AM »
Quote from: \"Art2ro\" post=47376
Quote from: \"Gray Wolf\" post=47374
Please, allow me to explain so everyone will get \"the point\"
Electric suppliers have boundaries, just like municipalities and provinces.  Someone, anyone, living on the boundary of a particular supplier could have neighbors whose electricity is supplied by a different company, and could very easily be paying a different rate per kwh, hence the difference in their electric bill even though they live in the same general area and run similar electrical appliances.
So it\'s not a matter of the ability to perform simple math, although that helps. Iit\'s the ability to acertain from the itemized monthly statement, how much you pay per kwh for your electricity. Period. Beyond that it\'s then a matter of how many electrical appliances you run, lights being kept on, etc, etc.

I\'m sure everyone who has read this topic or contributed to it already has gotten the point every which way it has already been explained and understands it and know how to compute the cost of kilowatt hours and besides, it is already broken down on our billing statement, mine is anyways so as my other neighbors for comparison!
It\'s mostly all about lifestyle and how much one wants to be comfortable in the Philippines 24/7 when at home!
There really isn\'t any confusion here concerning power consumption, just how some people express themselves which just sometimes sparks attitude clashes or due to difference of opinions or POVs!

Yup my friend and we all have to try to be tolerant of how others express themselves and IMO try to read all posts on forums as if they are written by friends and not as adversaries.

As for electric costs in the Philippines or elsewhere, the added costs on top of the kwh rate really adds up on our bill in Cebu City to make the per kwh much more expensive when all fees and add on\'s are taken into account. I feel we should all not look at the rate per kwh and instead should take the overall bill and divide it by the kwh\'s used to get a real rate and then have a better idea of true costs to us.

In Cebu they load up on taxes and fees and then add on a recovery charge to our bill for those who steal electric, so instead of them going out to find the cheats, they charge their loss to everyone who does not cheat them  :blink:   :(  and that fee is substantial on our bills which really pisses me off.   :angry:

One of my friends lives in an area in Manila and he tells me that they charge him a fee for above average use, so the more he uses the more the fee goes up, sort of a punishment fee for those who wish to stay cool.  :blink:
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2012, 02:57:37 AM »
Quote from: \"Mr. Lee\" post=47377

Yup my friend and we all have to try to be tolerant of how others express themselves and IMO try to read all posts on forums as if they are written by friends and not as adversaries.

As for electric costs in the Philippines or elsewhere, the added costs on top of the kwh rate really adds up on our bill in Cebu City to make the per kwh much more expensive when all fees and add on\'s are taken into account. I feel we should all not look at the rate per kwh and instead should take the overall bill and divide it by the kwh\'s used to get a real rate and then have a better idea of true costs to us.

In Cebu they load up on taxes and fees and then add on a recovery charge to our bill for those who steal electric, so instead of them going out to find the cheats, they charge their loss to everyone who does not cheat them  :blink:   :(  and that fee is substantial on our bills which really pisses me off.   :angry:

One of my friends lives in an area in Manila and he tells me that they charge him a fee for above average use, so the more he uses the more the fee goes up, sort of a punishment fee for those who wish to stay cool.  :blink:

Yes, I agree, we all need to accept the posts here as a conversation among friends, or at least neighborly acquaintances.  The worst part of my job as Admin for this Forum is to be the street cop who has to calm the riot.  Bickering and misunderstandings among our members would only cause this thing to fail completely and shut down.  I don\'t think anyone deserves that and I\'m doing all I can to keep us a valid, harmonious online community.  

Please, everyone, work with me.  Work together as friends so we can help those who are truly interested in the Philippines by sharing our experience, and our perspective, in a friendly manner.  

Thanks everyone!
Jack
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I and all of our grandchildren.
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2012, 06:46:51 AM »
Our last Ceneco Bill was P1 per kwh higher than last month (10.76). Here in Bacolod, if you so much as dare to challenge your bill, they will shut you off. Back in 08, they took on City Hall and guess who won? God Bless.....
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 11:05:48 PM »
Just an update on our electricity costs for our new house, which were initially extremely low before we visited.

We have just returned after a  3 month visit to see our new house for the first time. The airon used during our stay was a  1 1/2hp Panasonic split aircon in the bedroom, and 2 1/2hp Panasonic split  aircon in the lounge area. The bedroom aircon was used every night (except 2 stormy nights) and the lounge unit used sparingly occasionally during evenings. In addition we have a fridge, a pump bringing water up from our well, and the usual lights and fans.

The monthly bills for the 3 months we were there never exceeded P1400, which means we were either exceedingly frugal or the meter is somewhat faulty. Our house is the usual hollow block built type, no great insulation then.

So if anyone thinks their electricity bills are exceedingly high they may have a  fast running meter as opposed to what I assume is a slow running one at our house.

My wifes family, who care for our house, and pay the bills for us whilst we are not there, told us not to mention this to anyone in the extended family there as someone could report this to the electricity company. A good call that, knowing how jealous some people are of others good luck.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 11:07:41 PM by paulgee »
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2013, 11:24:10 PM »
Yes Paul, keep quiet about your low electric bill! You can only be so lucky for a period of time before the meter reader from the electric company catches on to you, but they can only do a calibration on your meter and re-install it and observe your usage from then on!
In our subdivision electric consumption ranges from between P3,500 to P16,000 a month, because I know a few frugal and not so frugal families living in our subdivision!
Our home averages P7,000 a month with a gas/electric oven, washer/dryer, 2 electric fans, 2 electric shower heaters and a 1HP wall unit A/C running 24/7 in our master bedroom. We have a 2HP split type A/C downstairs, but we hardly ever use it and if we did our electric bill can be around P8,000 to P10,000 for the month during the summer!     
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 11:38:54 PM by Art2ro »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2013, 08:50:33 PM »
? art is that dryer a american syle dryer or philippino dryer  :D

• Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2013, 09:39:46 PM »
Bought it at Abenson appliance store, No, it's not an American brand. but I think it wasn't built in the Philippines either! It's just your average type electric dryer. Germania is the name brand of ours.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 09:42:53 PM by Art2ro »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2013, 09:58:57 PM »
you know what my wife thinks a dryer is? the spin cycle on the washing machine, she still prefers to hang out our clothes in the sun, I like it to cause all my shirts here are 100 percent cotton ,last time I visited my mom in the usa and used her dryer all my pants and shirts shrink.to much,I was gonna buy a real dryer here but she dont like it consumes to much electricity she says.

• Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2013, 10:51:23 PM »
We have a live-out maid, but my wife prefers doing our laundry herself using our washer/dryer at least once a week. Hanging damp clothes outside just attracts dust! We have a washer/dryer hookup inside our home. I don't believe in the Filipino method of washing clothes by hand, it's tedious and time consuming! It's not always about "When in Rome" IMHO! If one is truly frugal, by all means, get your clothes washed by hand and hung to dry the Filipino way!

Oh here it is, I found it! Made in Italy! Had it 8 yrs now and still going strong!

https://www.google.com/search?q=picture+of+germania+dryer&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=gwodUceFJs6IrAelroH4Dg&sqi=2&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1341&bih=750     
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 12:09:51 AM by Art2ro »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2013, 12:41:07 AM »
This is something else Gloria and I agree on.  We don't like our clothes hand washed labandera style.  They are too rough on our clothes.  Glo and I are willing to pay for and use a modern washer and dryer.  We will also have an electric in-line water heater for the washer.

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2013, 12:54:22 AM »
I have a washer and dryer here.  I have to do my own laundry.  I use the washer but rarely the dryer.  I'd rather hang clothes up to air dry rather than heat.  There, I guess I will get a washer but not a dryer.  I don't really think I have a need for it.  Got someone who I can have come in once a week and do more intense cleaning but I think I will just do laundry.  Between that and cleaning up behind myself, once a week should be sufficient on the domestic help.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Big Jim

• Retired soon
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2013, 08:53:05 AM »
If you are using air conditioning, hang the clothes up in the air conditioned room.

The air conditioner removes moisture from the air. that is why they need a drain hose for water.

The clothes dry quickly, even though it is cold in the room.
I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.