Author Topic: Building our house in the Philippines  (Read 94108 times)

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Building our house in the Philippines
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 10:50:04 PM »
Colin,

Thanks for all the useful (and enjoyable to read) info on your house \"adventure.\"  Hope you are able to keep your web site updated as you go along. 

Over the last 20 years I\'ve had 3 homes built here in the US, last one just finished about 2 years ago... but it\'s going to take a lot of Red Horse to get up the nerve to attempt building in the RP. 

Keeping up with you... and the building exploits of a few other brave souls... gives me some moral support (which I\'m surely in need of). 

Continued good luck on the project.

Tom
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 12:24:34 PM »
Part 3

Now having a 30 metre wide lot, has enabled me to make a better design and have been working on various ideas over the last 6 months. The lot stretches in a N-S direction which has allowed me to have a house across the lot with little sun on either the front or back, and this has allowed me to put ample windows on these side and keep those on the left and right to a minimum. In order to keep the house cool, I need to use aircon at times, but because electricity is expensive here I have tried to produce a design that will keep its use to a minimum. This involves having good insulation for when the aircon is on and good airflow when it is not.

Most Philippine houses have metal roofs with, at the most, a thin foil backed foam layer beneath it. This allows the attic to get unnecessarily hot; the heat then passes through the thin plywood ceilings to the rooms below. If you question this, you are told to make the ceilings high so the heat stays above head height. Surely it is better to prevent the heat from entering the room in the first place and have a lower ceiling to give less air for the aircon to cool. I would like to use Clay or concrete tiles as they are more effective than metal sheets, but are heavier and more expensive. This may be a compromise I will have to make. I also want ridge vents or some other form of top vent plus eve vents to allow a cooling airflow beneath the hot roof. I also feel that it is necessary for a layer of insulation to be placed on top of the ceiling.

For airflow, I have tried to design a house that is only one room deep with windows on opposite sides to allow unrestricted flow through all parts of the house. This led originally to a basic ‘U’ shaped design. For design ideas I looked at Spanish and Mexican houses and particularly liked some of the features found in the Mission style houses found in the southern US. I have included an ‘Arcade’ (covered patio) a feature often found on these designs. The shallow pitch roof, arched doors and windows are also typical of these designs. I have included a tower from some of the Spanish designs, which acts as a hot air vent for most of the rooms that surround it. This tower contains the stairs, which are a feature in the entrance hall/family/TV room. I have placed a ‘Crow’s nest’ on top of the tower to catch the high level breezes. This will also house the main cold water tank. I am considering the idea of placing a solar water panel on the adjacent roof to gravity feed a hot water cylinder there, but it does depend on the overall total cost.
Here are some pictures  of the proposed design, more to follow.

Front view

Rear view

Some people have described this as a mansion, but it looks big because it is stretched out to follow my \'one room deep\' idea. It has a total area of 318 square metres

Continued in part 4

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 01:44:41 PM »
Colin,

I posted a while back about the finding good quality fiber insulation at the Citi Hardware in Ormoc City, Leyte.  Now, if my memory is correct, they have a Citi Hardware there in Palawan also, and that 200mm thick fiber insulation would really help out if you put it above the plywood ceilings.  I used the aluminum barrier with the foam insulation in our current house, and it helps somewhat (even with a painted galvanized roof in place), but I know that keeping our ceilings a good distance from the roofing panels and adding that 200mm fiber insulation, along with venting the attic space should keep temps reasonable in the house.  We have also added ceiling fans to most of the rooms, and when I was there in February/March of this year, we never used the Air Conditioner in the bedroom...only the ceiling fan and one or two times a floor fan.

Building in the Philippines is always an adventure!  ;D

Awaiting your next installment.

Greg
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 02:16:44 PM »
Col,

Just wondering why so much living space when primarily it\'s just you and Bing. Do you really need 300+ sqm of living space? That\'ll need building and maintaining.

My last apartment in Switzerland was 105 sqm, 3 bedroomm with 2 baths (one full bath, 1 shower & wc), \'twas waay more than enough for me and ex g/f

I\'d have thought a 120-150sqm home would have been about right, maybe adding a guest cottage away from main house if really needed.

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 04:11:49 PM »
Grizzi,

Murf here, i ops I have insisted on fiberglass installation  on the marine plywood above the ceilings, but where does this fiber board stuff go? I have also order from a Chicken farm a huge reverse fan like they use in the long rows of san miguel chicken farms, dont ask me why san miguel has chicken farms but they do? so i can suck some of that hot air out of the ceiling. I have including a ceiling fan in each room well except the bathrooms but i can\'t find ones like i had in the usa with the 3 lights and run by remote control, i guess i want too much...

what is the R factor i need for my house you think as far as how thick my fiberglass should be>>?

Thanks

The Murf

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 05:51:28 PM »
Murf,

The R-factor varies accordingly to the type of insulation.  There were 5 or 6 different types of fiber insulation.  Some of it was encased in reflective barrier material (that shiny aluminum foil looking stuff), which would making the installation very clean.  When we build our next house, I will be using 150mm or thicker. Should be more than enough for the PI temps, and I swear that I saw some that was 220mm thick also, but don\'t hold me to that (look at my March 14, 2009 report in the Insulation thread).

Now, are you talking fiber board, particle board, or the fiber board that looks like compacted cardboard and its about 1/8\" thick? I\'ve used fiber board (actually it was a type of concrete/fiber/styrofoam board) in the US for bathroom applications since its perfect for attaching tile to and fairly impervious to moisture, but I dont remember seeing that in the Philippines, and besides, they use concrete which serves the same purpose (haven\'t seen any green board use..lol).  Particle board (some call it chip board), if you ask me is only good for building lightweight forms for concrete work. Quite a bit is used for interior and exterior walls in the US as long as its installed with a barrier of some type (tyvek usually).  The other fiber board is only good for desk/dresser drawer bottoms or for forming concrete (bends nicely for pillars and such when moistened).  Hope they aren\'t using that for your ceiling...one leak and its a mess!  Glad to hear you\'re going to use an attic exhaust fan. We used sofit vents (custom made by our carpenter...lol) on our house, and the difference of temps in the house was very noticeable.  The new house will have an exhaust vent in it though! ;D

Hope all goes well with your build up also.  Its great to see others on this forum living the tropical dream!

Greg
Greg & Almira  ;-)

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 06:04:15 PM »
Col,

Just wondering why so much living space when primarily it\'s just you and Bing. Do you really need 300+ sqm of living space? That\'ll need building and maintaining.

My last apartment in Switzerland was 105 sqm, 3 bedroomm with 2 baths (one full bath, 1 shower & wc), \'twas waay more than enough for me and ex g/f

I\'d have thought a 120-150sqm home would have been about right, maybe adding a guest cottage away from main house if really needed.

Bings mother will be living with us and she will have the downstairs bedroom. The family room will be for visitors and tagalog TV, these will not be allowed in the main lounge. The main lounge will be for music and videos. It will have a large flat screen TV with  a theater sound system, our present electronic organ and later an electronic piano. Then there is the dining room, a large, well equipped kitchen and my study and workshop. The last three are essential for me. Upstairs there is just the master suite and two smallish spare bedrooms. I have found that when we have visitors they take over all the comfortable seats and the TV so everything becomes tagalog and soaps. I want to avoid that by having our own private space. The study is my own private retreat for computers etc, and the workshop is so that I can pick up my old hobby of RC model aircraft.

So the answer to your question is yes I could live in a smaller space, but no I don\'t want to .  ;D

Colin

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 06:57:25 PM »
Colin,

I posted a while back about the finding good quality fiber insulation at the Citi Hardware in Ormoc City, Leyte.  Now, if my memory is correct, they have a Citi Hardware there in Palawan also, and that 200mm thick fiber insulation would really help out if you put it above the plywood ceilings.  I used the aluminum barrier with the foam insulation in our current house, and it helps somewhat (even with a painted galvanized roof in place), but I know that keeping our ceilings a good distance from the roofing panels and adding that 200mm fiber insulation, along with venting the attic space should keep temps reasonable in the house.  We have also added ceiling fans to most of the rooms, and when I was there in February/March of this year, we never used the Air Conditioner in the bedroom...only the ceiling fan and one or two times a floor fan.

Building in the Philippines is always an adventure!  ;D

Awaiting your next installment.

Greg

I am not aware of a Citi Hardware in Puerto, but our engineer is the son of the owner of the largest hardware store here, and if they haven\'t got anything we want they can get it from Manila. The other advantage is that we will get a discount on the materials we use from the store. I am not too sure about using ceiling fans, I would like to keep the room heights low which could make the ceilings fans dangerous  ;D We also find that the nighttime temperature here, even in an uninsulated house, are low enough to only occasionally need a fan.

Colin

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 07:45:52 PM »
Colin,

I\'m not sure, but I saw a map that had one on it.

http://www.citihardware.com/

I tried to visit the site, but its blocked here in Afghanistan for some reason. Oh well, at least they do have a web site... 8)
Greg & Almira  ;-)

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 08:28:53 PM »
Colin,

I\'m not sure, but I saw a map that had one on it.

http://www.citihardware.com/

I tried to visit the site, but its blocked here in Afghanistan for some reason. Oh well, at least they do have a web site... 8)

Strange, I got a virus warning when I clicked on your link :o I do believe that Avast is a little over sensitive and I have to turn it off at times. I will try to find Citi Hardware via google

Colin

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 09:34:18 PM »
Puerto Princesa is Green Flag......soon to open

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 09:48:43 PM »
Puerto Princesa is Green Flag......soon to open

Thanks Dave, I did find it via google. Avast can be a problem at times, I am sure it finds viruses where non exist. It must be this heuristic method, and it certainly slows things down at times

Colin

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2009, 12:57:35 AM »
Within a few weeks of the CitiHardware opened in Ormoc...hell...they knew me by name! The nice thing about shopping there is it like a little home depot that serves ice cold tea to his patrons...lol.  Plus, they have almost everything I needed for the house at pretty competitive prices.  Even had the decorative glass blocks in multiple textures and colors, which really add a nice appearance to construction.. 

I know you will enjoy...I do every trip... 8)
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 04:16:09 AM »
Strange, I got a virus warning when I clicked on your link :o I do believe that Avast is a little over sensitive and I have to turn it off at times. I will try to find Citi Hardware via google

Colin

Did the same to me.  I had my speakers turned up a little too loud and it scared the crap outta me!   ;D
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 05:29:20 AM »
Too much Red Horse, Jack....

Wayne   ;D ;D
Wayne  ;D ;D