Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: White/light coloured roofs aid cooling  (Read 3326 times)

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
White/light coloured roofs aid cooling
« on: July 08, 2009, 08:15:11 PM »
US Energy Secretary and Nobel Prize winner Steve Chu is in Europe extolling the benefits of ... white roofs. The concept is simple but the numbers he cites are massive: Making roofs and pavement more reflective could offset 44 billion tons of CO2, or the equivalent of taking all of the world\'s cars off the road for 11 years. (While these numbers appear huge, there\'s no mention of the time frame, so they\'re not comparable to other numbers.)

Now I think white roofs need to be designed/integrated into the building to be aestheticly pleasing.....but can be achieved.....look at Greek architecture 

There\'s a reason boat decks are traditionally white or pale grey/blue and that\'s because the surfaces of dark colours heat up incredibly. Measured at close to 200F.
Even vertical surfaces in dark colours heat up greatly and cause a condition called \"print-thru\" where the woven glass weave can be seen after only a few years.
That\'s because boat building resins go into a glass (to gel) transition stage at these high temperatures.

Re: White/light coloured roofs aid cooling
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 08:50:56 PM »

Now I think white roofs need to be designed/integrated into the building to be aestheticly pleasing.....but can be achieved.....look at Greek architecture 

I agree that white is ideal, but I will be going for a very pale sun bleached Mediterranean tile look. It always surprises me to see the very dark blues and reds used here in the Philippines. They may look nice, but can\'t be doing too much for the comfort. The exterior house walls will be white.

Colin

Offline boomerang

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 12:47:21 AM »
Got a white painted corrugated roof and it\'s ideal and cool indeed.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 11:36:28 AM »

Oi......that\'s not my quote .....danghag newbies hehehe  ;)

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 01:44:01 PM »
Oi......that\'s not my quote .....danghag newbies hehehe 

Heck, I\'m still trying to figure out how he got a pole-vaulter in the background of the picture!!!! ;D
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline boomerang

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 07:20:49 PM »
Heck, I\'m still trying to figure out how he got a pole-vaulter in the background of the picture!!!! ;D

The secret of the pole-vaulter is the antennabuilder who was working on the erection of an 100 feet pole to gain a good Smart-Bro signal up here.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 04:50:13 AM »

Oi......that\'s not my quote .....danghag newbies hehehe  ;)

Corrected, sir.  Admin asleep at the wheel...     ;D
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 07:42:38 AM »
... extolling the benefits of ... white roofs...  could offset 44 billion tons of CO2, or the equivalent of taking all of the world\'s cars off the road for 11 years. (While these numbers appear huge, there\'s no mention of the time frame, so they\'re not comparable to other numbers.)

Maybe the theory is to offset the loss of all of the \"white\" in the polar ice caps by converting all the roofs in the world to \"white.\"  ;D  Now if they can just convince polar bears to live on roofs in the tropics.

Seriously, in reading several threads on this Forum, like Colin\'s \"building our house...\" thread which addresses the difficulties of ventilation, insulation, etc..., and this one on roof color... I am mystified.  It seems that people living and building in the tropics would have all the tricks for \"building cooler\" figured out and incorporated into most structures.

I understand poverty impacts many aspects of building... but it seems it would also cause ideas that cost little or nothing... like using white or light colored roofs, good ventilation, etc., to be even more likely to be regularly used.

\"Mystified\" is more or less my constant state of being, but maybe someone can provide me with a d\'oh moment.

Tom in Big D
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 09:06:27 AM »
... extolling the benefits of ... white roofs...  could offset 44 billion tons of CO2, or the equivalent of taking all of the world\'s cars off the road for 11 years. (While these numbers appear huge, there\'s no mention of the time frame, so they\'re not comparable to other numbers.)

Maybe the theory is to offset the loss of all of the \"white\" in the polar ice caps by converting all the roofs in the world to \"white.\"  ;D  Now if they can just convince polar bears to live on roofs in the tropics.

Seriously, in reading several threads on this Forum, like Colin\'s \"building our house...\" thread which addresses the difficulties of ventilation, insulation, etc..., and this one on roof color... I am mystified.  It seems that people living and building in the tropics would have all the tricks for \"building cooler\" figured out and incorporated into most structures.

I understand poverty impacts many aspects of building... but it seems it would also cause ideas that cost little or nothing... like using white or light colored roofs, good ventilation, etc., to be even more likely to be regularly used.

\"Mystified\" is more or less my constant state of being, but maybe someone can provide me with a d\'oh moment.

Tom in Big D

Filipinos did solve the house problem by building and living in nippa huts, and this form of construction is still the best if you can live without aircon and don\'t mind the frequent repairs. The problems have arisen as the houses have been gradually changed over to use more modern and durable materials such as iron for the roofs. This has been done without any thought to the internal comfort. Insulation etc. costs extra money which most people do not have. Also you don\'t need wall insulation if you don\'t use aircon.

There are designs here that are more suited to the climate. If you look at some of the early houses that the Spanish built here you will see that they also had some good ideas such as open plan high level living areas built above a storage area. Any internal walls had full length deep louvres at the top of them. Two of my brother-in-laws live in older wooden houses built up on stilts, no glass in the windows with vents between each room and a metal roof that is completely open at both ends to allow the air to flow through. We lived there for several 6 month periods and it was not too uncomfortable. Some of the older larger wooden houses are basically bungalows but with a single small bedroom on top that just has louvers on all four sides. When we were living in Pangasinan, I saw living accommodation built above a row of shops where the rooms were placed around an open balcony. This is where I got my idea for a single room deep \'U\' shaped house.

Colin

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 10:58:33 AM »

Ask and I shall receive. Thanks, Colin... I should have known such a simple request for information would be low hanging fruit for you. So, as promised...  ??? D\'OH  ???

Tom in Big D
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 11:55:55 AM »
Ah yes, a \"U\" shape with a court yard in the middle. Now that\'s true Spanish! Almost bought the like in Mexico some 2 decades ago.

Now Colin, are you going to use mud/straw bricks with a lime stone coating mix for finishing off?  ;D
B-Ray

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 12:02:45 PM »
Now Colin, are you going to use mud/straw bricks with a lime stone coating mix for finishing off?  ;D
B-Ray

Now that would be just too much of a challenge for the builders here  ;D

Colin

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 03:12:57 PM »
Adobe does not do well in an area that gets 4000 inches of rain every year  ;D
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 03:38:39 PM »
Filipinos did solve the house problem by building and living in nippa huts, and this form of construction is still the best if you can live without aircon and don\'t mind the frequent repairs.

Most of the top resorts use cogon or nipa for roofing as they really look the part..
If nipa is good quality with double leaf it can last 15 years or more without maintenance..A Cogon roof is expected to last as long as an English thatch which is around 25 years.
(and not many people know that!!)