Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Electricity question  (Read 2834 times)

Offline infoneeded

Electricity question
« on: July 20, 2009, 12:48:02 AM »
Hi,

My name is Tom and I am thinking of moving to Philippines. Have many questions but am just going to ask one for now.

If I understand correctly, they use only 220v in the Philippines. I want to bring my HD TV\'s and computers when I move there. The computers are 220v ready but with a 110v plug (I have never used the 220v option with the computers, so I do not know that they will work right). The monitors and TV\'s do not have that 220v option.

Is there a transformer available to convert from 220v down to 110v so that I can use the items as is?

Thank you in advance for any help. Expect many more questions from me....lol

Tom

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Re: Electricity question
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 02:24:57 AM »
Hi,

My name is Tom and I am thinking of moving to Philippines. Have many questions but am just going to ask one for now.

If I understand correctly, they use only 220v in the Philippines. I want to bring my HD TV\'s and computers when I move there. The computers are 220v ready but with a 110v plug (I have never used the 220v option with the computers, so I do not know that they will work right). The monitors and TV\'s do not have that 220v option.

Is there a transformer available to convert from 220v down to 110v so that I can use the items as is?

Thank you in advance for any help. Expect many more questions from me....lol

Tom

Welcome to the forum Tom,
Ask away, that is what forums are for and there are many people on this forum with a lot of answers.

Yes they have many types of converters available at the bigger hardware stores such Ace, True Value and Handyman and the important thing is to get one big enough to handle to draw of what you are going to put on it. Getting a larger one and using a power strip bought to work on Philippines voltage is a good use of the converter.†

Most of the flat screen monitors that I have seen come with a power supply in the cord and if you look on the supply, it may say 100- 240 and those would work in the Philippines, but if it has a direct plug power cord then it will most likely not. Be sure to read the book that came with it. Power strips for 110 will also not work but extension cords will as long as they are just extension cords. The plug in most homes in the Philippines use US type 110 looking outlets, so be sure to be careful about plugging anything in that will not work on the higher voltage. Most cell phone chargers are now 110-240 as well so if your cell is unlocked GSM and a quad band or tri band that includes 900 and 1800 mhz then it too can work in the Philippines.

Good luck on your move and be sure to tell us where you will be relocating to and more about your plans. My wife and I live part time in Cebu and other members seem to live all over the Philippines.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 01:14:16 PM »
I want to bring my HD TV\'s and computers when I move there. The computers are 220v ready but with a 110v plug

You can also consider bringing all PARTS for your computers but leaving the casings.

2 cases take up the same space as 1/2 dozen complete PC\'s unassembled... and a LOT less weight if you take them on your airline.

One visit to your local CDRKING will get a case with already converted power for $15-$30

heres their $30 unit
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline infoneeded

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 09:18:44 PM »
Thank you all for your information!!!

I have 2 HD TV\'s both of which just have 2 prong plugs and no transformer in line. The same is true for both my flat screen monitors. But as long as I can use an AVR or a converter, I should be able to use them with no problem....if I have understood right.

What are my TV options? Is there good cable TV or sattelite TV. Are the same shows that I get here in the states available?

What are my highspeed internet options? I get 100 mbps speed here in the states. How close can I get to those speeds with either cable or DSL. I am a online gamer so this is important to me.

Thanks again to all for your help.

Tom

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 12:01:00 AM »
What are my TV options? Is there good cable TV or sattelite TV. Are the same shows that I get here in the states available?

What are my highspeed internet options? I get 100 mbps speed here in the states. How close can I get to those speeds with either cable or DSL. I am a online gamer so this is important to me.

Thanks again to all for your help.

Tom

If you have relatives or friends that would be willing to help out they have what is called a slingbox, you can do a search for it to understand what is does. We have a friend who has one hooked up in the states in his home and he lets us use it while we are in the Philippines because day is night and night is day, so they rarely use it at night since they are usually home. It allows you to watch local TV on your computer while in the Philippines. Also if you can use a US proxy server or access a friends computer in the states remotely, you could watch Hulu.com and it would provide you with all the US TV programs. A way to hook your computer to your often larger TV also helps unless you have big monitors.

The cable in Cebu leaves a lot to be desired and I rarely watch any TV there and most of the news is not in English and although I know some of the language, keeping up with rapid fire words is impossible for me.

Satellite offers some more but still mostly Asian channels and UK news.

As already said, high speed is a misnomer in the Philippines but in a major city such as Cebu, then they do offer up to 3mbps, but remember it says up to and they mean it in the Philippines and it took me about a dozen calls and visits to PLDT to get ours up to the speed we pay for. We pay for 1mb and we were lucky to get 300kb before all the complaining.

https://www.pldtonline.com/help/help_pldtpostpaid_rates.html

Also cable fast speed is in the process of being installed in some areas of the Philippines but reports I have heard so far are that it is not really that good yet.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 01:04:32 AM »
I get 100 mbps speed here in the states. How close can I get to those speeds with either cable or DSL. I am a online gamer so this is important to me.

Online gaming.... its more about the PING/Latency/Hops than MBps when were comparing high speed lines...

SkyCable offers 12meg connections around Manila and Alabang for about $100 a month
I have a globelines 3MB connection for about $50 a month - 200 ping to some USA gaming servers and 500 ping/latency on others in USA

It gets me the exact same performance as my Digitel 1.5Meg DSL line ($30 a month) but the 1.5 is MUCH more stable giving zero DC\'s and the 3meg line DC\'s about 1-2x per day (usually during bosses with MY epic loot)† :P ... a NO NO for gaming... hence... a 2nd ISP

One of the biggest Internet Cafes nationwide is Netopia! They have a sign in the window I saw last month... it says:

WE NOW HAVE 3 MEG CONNECTION !!!! so thats a WHOLE cafe....† with what gamers need just for BARELY getting by in other countris... so... 100MEG.. will NEVER be found here....

well... Arabs invested 1 billion bux or something last yar for ISP development... its somewhere in thse forums... lets hope for more Megs !
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline boomerang

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 03:48:28 PM »
Actual results from Smart Bro

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::
Download Connection is:: 450 Kbps about 0.45 Mbps (tested with 512 kB)
Download Speed is:: 55 kB/s
Upload Connection is:: 343 Kbps about 0.3 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 42 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net (Main)
Test Time:: 2009/07/21 - 1:40am
D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-06YVMFXL5
U-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-MCIL89PAU
User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; InfoPath.2; OfficeLiveConnector.1.3; OfficeLivePatch.0.0; .NET CLR 3.0.30618) [!]

But it\'s very variable.

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 10:15:08 PM »
There are always exceptions† ;) ;D I would be very happy right now with a reliable 1M service and over the moon with 12M. However, 12m is still a lot less than the original quoted 100M.

GLOBE / GLOBELINES just informed me today that they have 10meg available thanks to that underground cable connecting asia to usa!
WOW !

Finally - real speeds !

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 09:03:46 AM »
But where? Just for the lucky few in Manila and one or two other locations?

Colin

Im gonna pick the techs brain when he gets here. They will survey my house in a few \'DAYS\' they say to make sure im not too far away...

YOU MAY BE IN LUCK.

Their cable has 2 points of connection..

1. BATANGAS
2. CDO

Thats where it connects to their equipment from the underwater pipes form USA!

WOW !† So theres HOPE for 10meg connection even in the provinces !