Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Spear gun?  (Read 9669 times)

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
Re: Spear gun?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 09:27:53 PM »
When I cruised the Eastern seaboard(US) from Chesapeake, Carolina Sounds and down to Bahamas, aboard my catamaran, I would put meat leftovers (from the days meals) in 4 collapsible fish/crab traps and hang them from from the 4 corners of the boat last thing before bed.

Come morning it was rare that there wasn\'t at least a couple of crabs or fish in the traps. Best haul was  over 20 on more times than I can remember.
First time it happened as I was hauling in I was sure the netting would break and I\'d lose the night\'s haul....never did

Mine used green netting

Offline trevor

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 12:44:34 PM »
One of the things i promise myself is to go spear fishing here in the ph. still never get to do that as yet. Years ago when i was a teenager living down in the carribbean spear fishing was my almost daily hobby. Used to make my own spear gun.  I only did free diving, never use any scuba gears. After awhile i developed a really strong pair of lungs. Does anyone know where i may be able to purchase a good spear gun here in the Ph.? Would love to try some spear fishing again.

Trevor
Never look down on anyone and always extend a helping hand. Tomorrow the role may be reverse.
Life is what you make it. Nothing to do with luck.

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 01:50:52 PM »
Does anyone know where i may be able to purchase a good spear gun here in the Ph.?

I\'m not sure if you can buy a manufactured speargun there, but might be able to find one if you can locate a dive resort that also deals in selling dive gear. I would just Google speargun or home made speargun, and have someone make it for you according to the design.  Just as long as all the hardware is stainless steel (very easy to find in the Philippines), they should be able to fabricate the rest, and cheap. I wanted a pneumatic, so shipped it from the US... ;D
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline samatm

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 09:50:35 PM »
Then open Greg\'s   Kasag  House in Albuera!  yummy.   Thanks for the bicycle wheel trick.    We\'ve moved to Mactan.. from Kananga for work purposes and  so I could be close enough to the water to get some diving in..and get recurrent etc..   Still looking for a good DM  to work with that wont charge me Korean rates :)

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 02:26:31 PM »
Still looking for a good DM  to work with that wont charge me Korean rates

Ha, Ha...yeah...thats going to be a problem.  Use an out of the way diveshop like in Dumaguete or in Southern Leyte to get current. If I had a shop and more time in the PI I would take you out for a couple of check-dives... :D Its an easy 2 hours.

Hope all went well with your move..and hope to meet you in Leyte sometime in the future!
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline philippineexplorer

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009, 08:41:04 PM »
I went on a liveaboard spearfishing trip back in 2006. We left Puerto Pricessa and went diving for a week in the Sulu sea up around cagayancillo. We were about 50 divers and many would be considered the top spearfishermen in the Philippines and really nice people. Most had Riffe guns and of course some Biller (myself), Sea Hornets and Pneumatics. I have to tell you I was absolutely amazed at the lack of big fish at suitable depth. To preface: I would not consider myself an expert spearfisherman. I am definetely very good and I have a world record Grouper in my portfolio (100lb/black) which gives me a little credibility (and it was alive when I shot it LOL). I have shot many hard to hit fish and many easy fish to hit but I would say overall I am fairly competent but not even close to being one of these guys that can brain shot a fish from 30 feet away even with a four banded Riffe.
If you can believe it on this trip, I only shot my gun once (other than unloading it) and it was at a lobster. The fact was and probably still is even in beautiful remote dive places like this (we dove 3 -4 times daily in numerous locations around the sulu sea) most of the fish are at depth and I mean at depth down 150 feet to over 200 feet. I did see large sections of reef that had been pulverized from dynamiting but overall the reefs were healthy looking with beautiful hard and soft corals.
Now don\'t get me wrong there were many fish shot on the trip (In my opinion: not as many as should have been shot for a place like this in the Philippines) and some very big fish at that but most are not what I would shoot based on what we shoot back in the states. For example most of the fish shot were Jacks or Barracuda and not grouper or snappers. There were some Japanese on the trip and they spent their time shooting fish so small I could only laugh. They were way under the minimum size requirments we have in the states.
I am not trying to be cocky here but only relaying a very sad fact about a Country that should have more fish to hunt in one day than you would see in a lifetime back home wherever that may be. My guns are still sitting collecting dust and I am looking forward to my annual trips home where I can shoot some real fish. Sorry guys but if you can come up with some positive news about spearing here in the PI at depths that don\'t require deco for an hour LOL then please let me know.

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009, 09:37:03 PM »
Sadly the dynamite and cyanide  fishing have taken their toll. Tho some reefs are making a comeback.....but in some areas it\'ll be 10-20 years before fish stocks will be what they should be at.

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2009, 01:16:31 PM »
I have to agree. Even when diving in sanctuaries and off-limit to fishing/spearfishing areas, there aren\'t a lot of big fish.  Even where I\'m at on Leyte, there isn\'t a lot to see in the water, unless like mentioned you go deep.  I don\'t see the coral that should be there, every once in a while I spot a hard coral, but nothing else.  Surprisingly, I haven\'t heard or seen any dynamite fishing going on like I did in Northern Luzon.

There is still hope it will recover, but its going to take a lot of educating to get the fishermen to know what\'s wrong and how to fix it.
Greg & Almira  ;-)