Author Topic: Educating my children  (Read 10893 times)

Offline trevor

• Sr Member
Re: Educating my children
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2010, 06:56:39 PM »
Hello everyone.
We came here permanently in Oct.2008. Our little girl was then 3 yrs. 10 mths. old. Speak English fairly well for a four yr. old, did not speak Tagalog. We enrolled her in a private school. (bright child school) in the town of Solano in Neuva Vizcaya Providence. It took her 3 mths to learn Tagalog where she could communicate with her class mates and teacher.
This school is a very good private school which which provides education from nursery to 6th. grade. They also teaches using the Kumon program, which is in my opinion an excellent method of teaching. Kumon only covers math. and reading. She went through the pre-k and she was reading by the time she was 4 yrs. 9 mths.
From pre-k she was supposed to move to K-1. My wife being a teacher herself did not like the K-1 teacher\'s qualification as she was not a kinder garden teacher but a teacher who teaches older kids. (Very hard to teach little kids) So she moved her to the K-2 class. Well of course the director for the school did not like that and was against  doing so. Her point was that Savannah could not read, But she did not know she could read so she gave her a reading test which she passed.
So now Savannah just turn 5 and she is in a K-2 class and doing very well. Out of 12 kids in the class she is rank in 4th. place. Being so young she have a problem with her attention span. Very bright child and a fast learner but she loves to play. My wife plan to keep her in K-2 for another year because she does not think she is mentally mature enough to   go to grade 1. Which i think is a good idea.
When i looked at some of her assignments i can remember doing the same thing in 2nd. grade myself. I am really amazed at the level she is now. At the same time there are other private schools here which will nickle and dime you to death, and are not of high standard. So it depends on the school and their rules and the quality of the teachers they hire.
To sum it all up. I am happy with the level of education here. Especially for the young kids as they are thought values and discipline at an early age which is so important.

Trevor
Never look down on anyone and always extend a helping hand. Tomorrow the role may be reverse.
Life is what you make it. Nothing to do with luck.

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2010, 10:20:27 PM »
One thing to consider is how a university degree from the Philippines is viewed in the U.S.  (I don\'t know about other Western countries.)  Three of the companies I have worked at in the U.S. (US Philips, IBM, Hitachi GST) do not recognize a technical degree from the Philippines.  So in order to get a job in the U.S. that requires a technical degree the person would have to continue their education in the U.S.  (Not necessarily a bad thing but it will require money.)

Offline chrry_saine

• Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 11:34:08 PM »
I do believe that education itself begins at home? My son now 10...since in kinder he never been in his grade level, always 2 or up ahead...is in AIG (Academically and/or Intellectually Gifted) class since 2nd grade...has 97+ overall ave. in his report card just because his PE is 94  :D ...He is going to represent his school in Washington DC next year....he didn\'t get all that w/o working hard(er).He is in his best behavior and never answer back to his teacher. I don\'t agree that education in  PI is better than here in the US, nor US is better than PI.We have great standard of education here in the US, only if we \"Parents\" plant that in our kids mind and don\'t take education for granted. That\'s what the Philippines has., not better education.
Understanding is deeper than knowledge....

Offline beacon

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2010, 06:02:27 AM »
My two boys ages 8 & 9  attended school a couple of days in Davao City while we were there on vacation.  Over 50 students set in the small classroom shoulder to shoulder. They were well behaved. The school staff was hesitant at first to let the boys spend a full day until they met and saw how they conducted themselves.  I went to pick them up early on one of the days for a eye Dr. appointment.  They were crying, not wanting to leave.