Author Topic: OK guys and gals need your help and any suggestion is a good one!  (Read 2903 times)

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
As some of you know, Brad, CAPTAIN RON, for sure and Colin, I have been waiting a month now exactly yesterday for approval from some general manager in San Fransico, to approve our electricity pole, well taking the adive of Brad both me and the artichect have starting greasing some palms in a small way at first, and on Mondayfor it is the electric companys 10 or15 birthday tomorrow so the branch office in San Franssco is closed, but my wife has a girl friend who is a relaitive of the general manager who has our papers  just waiting to be signed and she is going to take a trip up there next week to try some more sweet talk.

In the mean time I have 8 brothers out of work, which means for me, no house being built and before the two with the babies could at least buy disapers and liquid vitimins for the babies when they were getting a pay check but no more that all falls to me now which I take with smile for the little ones are dolls.

My question is this, we have decided to start work again on Monday, for those who don\'t know I stoppd the work for the welder which is drawn around 300 amps, keep causing only the old florrscent lights to flicker back and forth, but it did not in any way effect any other elctricity in this house my 3 computes, the tvs, the stero, the microwave, the electric slow cooker, nothing ...and I know for a fact I am the one who got scared that if it could do that then because the wiring in the house is so old , it could burn this place to the ground, but I also know for a fact, that the welder is on its on junction box and circuit breaker not running through this old house wiring for it is run from the main before going into the house.

I know this to be true of for the hollow block machine has its own circuti breaqker also and oneday when they overloaded it it stopped working but we lost no on bit of electricity in this house, for itwas run off the main before going into the house, they just up the amps on the fuses and everything was fine, My question isis there such a thing as like radio signal, microwave signal sent out by the electrid welder that could caause the florsscent light to flicker. I am just loking for some logical explantion as to why the florscent lighta and nothing else in the house.

So dare I start welding again, I mean i can see the junction box, with its own circuit breaker,any idead anyone...all help even voddo spirit ghost stories will be believe. ;D ;D

Thanks

Murf

iI

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
Re: OK guys and gals need your help and any suggestion is a good one!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 07:48:25 AM »
Sounds line low line voltage.....which WILL cause fluorescents to flicker on and off..............ie the welder is sucking too much voltage OUT of the house

got my clue from this >>>>>> http://nemesis.lonestar.org/reference/electricity/fluorescent/trouble.html

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 08:56:52 AM »
I agree with Dave, low voltage. There are odd occasions when some of our fluorescent lamps will flicker when trying to start or not even try to start. My battery backup on my computer will often switch in and out because of reduced voltage. If you are tapping into the supply before the house, then I would not worry about it. The drop in voltage is caused by either poor joints up the tap in point or maybe the cable is not thick enough to take the very high current the welder needs. If there is going to be a fire it will be \'upstream\' from you, it will not cause any problems inside the house. Maybe you could tell them to be a bit careful in the length of time they use the welder to allow the cables to cool down.

Colin

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 09:05:10 AM »
Murf,

Is it an option for you to do the welding during the night? That would be when those upstream on your electric source would not be using so much and this will give you more power.

And if there is a fire, it would be easier to see...  :o ;D

Billy
"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 09:26:53 AM »
Murf,

Is it an option for you to do the welding during the night? That would be when those upstream on your electric source would not be using so much and this will give you more power.

Billy

Thanks Billy for the advice, but nightime firefighting is not exactly what I had envisoned but I sure do like your brand of humor :)

Murf

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 09:38:37 AM »
I agree with Dave, low voltage. There are odd occasions when some of our fluorescent lamps will flicker when trying to start or not even try to start. My battery backup on my computer will often switch in and out because of reduced voltage. If you are tapping into the supply before the house, then I would not worry about it. The drop in voltage is caused by either poor joints up the tap in point or maybe the cable is not thick enough to take the very high current the welder needs. If there is going to be a fire it will be \'upstream\' from you, it will not cause any problems inside the house. Maybe you could tell them to be a bit careful in the length of time they use the welder to allow the cables to cool down.

Colin

Thanks to all of you have printed out your suggestions and will give them to the foreman,artchiect and electrician on Monday...thanks guys for your support

Murf

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 09:51:28 AM »
Murf,

Billy

Thanks Billy for the advice, but nightime firefighting is not exactly what I had envisoned but I sure do like your brand of humor :)

Murf

Murf,

The welder wattage being used will always stay the same. When you start the arc is what creates the biggest electric flow.

Volts X Amps = Watts

If the Voltage is generally higher during the night, less Amps will be consumed while welding.

Billy
"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 01:27:05 PM »

Colin

Thanks to all of you have printed out your suggestions and will give them to the foreman,artchiect and electrician on Monday...thanks guys for your support

Murf

Slavedriver!!!  :D

Monday\'s a holiday - national heroes day

Or are you having them round for Labor day bbq?

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 10:58:36 AM »
If you lights flicker when welding, most likely the neighborhood is also?

Around here, to weld, a type of transform must be inline with the welder so it doesn\'t draw down the service to others.
B-Ray

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 02:12:15 PM »
If you lights flicker when welding, most likely the neighborhood is also?

Around here, to weld, a type of transform must be inline with the welder so it doesn\'t draw down the service to others.
B-Ray

Thanks B-Ray I think?, didn\'t really want to hear that I am affected the whole neigborhood, but i know most of my neighbors the girls next door for example has one light  buld incandescent in the kitchen, her last months bill for she always shows it to me was 176 pesos, 100 of which had to be charged as the bare minimum, the only other person wit a tv and stero system is the guy on the other side, who when he leaves for work at 7am, he works for the electric company as a supervisor, i know for a fact nothing is allowed to be used when he is not there, alhough there has been times when his 22 year old daughter will blast on the stero.

were startin on Monday, welding, I am going to keep a close eye out for any strange occurences and will stop only if the house is about to blow up or the NPA come and demand revolutinry tax for using a welder without a transformer. I find myself more friendly these days to all sides of the PC correct diatribes whomever they may be.

Call it...chicken sh8t if you will, and your probably right, but then again most of your post are right on.  Your a good man B-Ray...that is my story and I am sticking to it!!

Murf

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 05:41:27 PM »
So how\'s the welding going?

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 07:58:43 PM »
So how\'s the welding going?

Thanks my other CAPTAIN AND I MEAN THAT WITH \"UNBAITED BREATH\"....for asking, well after exactly a month and three days of getting now where i printed out the post from you about low voltage and the one from Colin, which struck me as important, and I asked my architect, if nothing happened last time and only the fluorescents were the only thing bothered why don\'t we take the risk and just weld and see what happens, I won\'t run the one in my \"cave\" just use the computer for light and so that won\'t drive me into a full blow PTSD attack...another real thing that needs to be discussed some time in a serious view, how many Vietnam Veterans who cannot get paid in Vietnam, their SS checks and Hawaii has kicked them off the Island so now they come here....

Listen no more compassion there is than mine foe one of this fellows, but without treatment, and if they don\'t seek help or advice they become very paranoid, have not just nightmares, but day time and night time , awake time flashbacks of real experiences in Vietnam, and they can be very dangerous....Thank god I let the VA treat me, even though i fought them for a full year, and then finally gave up the \"hog\" and the \"weed\", never did heavy duty stuff, just liquor as if that weren\'t bad enough, but as I say, thank god but for the grace of god goes me the other night on that street in Cebu, No the cop should have not killed him, but I have seen Baltimore and Chicago police do worse for a lot less.. But that another time we are talking about welding now \"gene\" just had to check with myself to see what page I was on....:)

well we started welded on Monday and in one of the emails you or Collin sent me it talked about a cooling off period for the wires, well at exactly 11am, its 102 outside humidity is 88% and we had what i thought was another black out, ( I have for the life of me never understood why they call them brown outs here, browns outs are a controlled way that the electric company browns out a certain area at peak hours and turns it back on, here in Bayugan, when it is a black out the whole damn city is gone, either a transformer was blow somewhere up the line by a storm or a logging truck ran off the road and tood out several poles....

Well needless to say when I found it was not a real blackout but just my house, I hit the frigging rood, no foreman on site jus welders I have never met, no electrician and no sense of any relief for me to have A/C to breathe with soon... Thank god it was a legal Holiday, national heroes’ day according to  THE CAPTAIN, and the guy who is a supervisor who works for the electric company was home and of all things not drunk, he is always drunk on his days off...he came over, looked at the outside for about 15 minutes, looked at the circuit breaker they had put for the welder inside of the house but NOT RUNNING BEFORE THE MAIN, BUT AFTER THE MAIN AND USING THIS OLD HOUSE FUSE BOXES, , he told me, the electric welder circuit breaker was set for 100amps, he knew he pulled more than that probably somewhere between 300 and 500 hundred and he said I had blow all 4 of the 60 amps fuses in my fuse box.

Now in the USA when I was younger and dumber than I am now and we had screw in 10 20 30 amp fuses, i knew enough that if one blew at 4am in the morning you better have a spare, which I always did, but do you think there were any 60 amp fuses here, of course not , that would have been to easy, he said to me in a whisper , you know you’re going to own me a long neck for this, I said my friend you got long necks as long as I am drawing air and it is cool, if you get me out of this mess again. :)

In the mean time my wife had called our architect who was in san Francisco trying to get our paper work approved for the connection of the new electric pole, he apologized immensely said he would call the electrician off the hotel job up National Highway one and get him over here immediately, which was true he came in about 10 minutes and it’s a good 8 miles away.

When he got here, I lost my temper a little bit, not bad as I have in American and asked him just the fudge did he know what was going on because i was tired of this shi&.... seeing as how I had my own private electrician here he was somewhat a little envious I think and said it sees like you have it under control, I said \"Roger, I don’t have anything under control, you get paid by my architect who pays you a god salary every week I know I get the prints outs of payroll, so in essence you are being paid by me and I need some simple answer to complicated questions in layman’s terms.

It was then the truth came out, he had sent an apprentice of his one day to install the circuit breaker for the welder, it was suppose to go before the main, and he told him to do nit from the inside of the house so when the electric company came to do a reader reading  they did not see anything out of the ordinary, he told him to be able to do this he would have to put the junction box inside but simple drill a hole with a piece of that orange electric pipe that all the wires run through to get to the outside. .

Well the young man did not evidently understand even though he said he did, he ran the welding circuit breaker directly into our main fuse box of this old house, but also did not ground the circuit box, the electrician said, he said , he would take full responsibility and pay what any cost i might incur from loss of work, I said don’t be silly , all I really want right now is an A/C and a hook up to the big green tank of O2....10 minutes later that was accomplished.....later that night , my architect  came in with his head hanging low and said how sorry he was for all of these, and if not for his wife being the sister in law the electrician and his apprentice brother would have lost their jobs, I said look no problems we just can\'t weld her without a new pole for house as simple as that.

So today at 8 am my wife calls the general manager of the electric company who has our paperwork in san Francisco, she lets his daughter who she went to college talk to him first and said, what it is you wish me to do, my wife said , sir there will be a envelope giving to you by your daughter this weekend, with some special thanks for signing our paperwork, he told her forget the envelope, I have heard of your family and what they do for our community so just consider this a gift from me.

So Joe Joe my architect, I had an check  for him this afternoon and when he came by he said i have some good news, all of sudden the general manager in san Francisco has approved our connection so by tomorrow or  early next weekender should  be able to weld .

Then he said, the strangest thing you know your next door neighbor the one who was over here when my electrician got here and he was a little upset, well it seems like he is the district supervisor for this area so it will be his crew putting up the pole.

So the welding aint starting yet but the party for it has….  ?   

The Murf

God bless this bunch of guys who let to talk, is the only thing I got left, fellows. But I could be worse, I could be an untreated PTSD Vietnam Combat Veteran and live in Cebu and shot dead last night.
Thank God for small Miracles ?

The  Murf