Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Riding on the Philippine National Railroad  (Read 4341 times)

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
Re: Riding on the Philippine National Railroad
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 05:43:43 AM »
Just remember, lest you wish a heart attack in your near future, do not sit behind the driver and look out the windscreen, the first time I did was the last time I swore I would go on a Philippine Bus.

Enjoy yourself, but sit back a few rows, grab a window seat and kick back.

Wayne   ;D ;D
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline clevelda

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 10:18:57 AM »
Wayne,

The last time I was in-country, I had a Yamaha 360 enduro motorcycle.  One day, I had a Victory Liner riding my tail and even at 70+ mph, it felt like he was gaining on me!  Back then (for all I know it could still be that way on that road), the bridges between San Narciso and Masinloc Zambales were wooden structures with two 2x12\'s for each wheel.  There were no rails or decking underneath those boards, just the bridge framework.  He wasn\'t slowing down as I hit the first bridge and was rather nervous trying to stay on the center of a 2x12 as I sped across it at that inhumane speed.  Once past, I really gunned the bike, because I knew I might not be as lucky at the next bridge.  I could envision a devilish smile on his face as his bus had a lip lock on the back fender of my motorcycle.

I have had the misfortune of sitting behind the driver\'s seat a couple of times and thought all those religious medallions on the dash might not save anyone.  Still, I miss that activity.  When I resettle, I will definitely buy another motorcycle.  It is cheap transportation and can get into a lot of places that other vehicles can\'t go (and I probably shouldn\'t go). 

Gray Wolf.  I spent a few days each year up at the Air Force Base in Baguio.  It was such a nice change with the aroma of pine filling the air. We would have the fireplace going in the cabin. I would love to see the hanging coffins in Sagada.  I loved the town market when there, and I am sure that has changed too.  There was also a Catholic (?) place where they made sterling silver items.  I purchased a silver grand piano for my music teacher from elementary school.  I really liked Baguio. 

Fortunately for me, I am retired and do make enough to live relatively well in the Philippines....whether the spouse comes or not. 

So, are there those ex-pats who winter over in the islands and then return to the states during the rainy season?

Bounder...

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 10:34:01 AM »
So, are there those ex-pats who winter over in the islands and then return to the states during the rainy season?

Bounder...

We sort of do that. We live in Cebu every year at least February until sometime in May, but since we live in Florida the rest of the time, we still get rained on.  :\'(  I do not really mind the rainy season in Cebu but I do hate all the flying ants and termites it brings with it. Seems all the thunder and lightening seems to wake their little butts up.  :-\>:(

As for big rigs tailgating you, back when I was a lot younger, I had a cure for that, it was called a pocket full or marbles and tossing them up in the air at that speed was sure to wipe a windshield out and slow the AH who is trying to kill you down, but maybe in the Philippines with all the guns, that might not be a good idea.  :-X
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 08:09:20 AM »
Without getting too off track here, but its bounders thread... I have chased a Victory Liner or similar through the outer reaches of Luzon, down Bicol way at 140 kph at 3 am on my way to the ferry at Tabaco to get to our island hideaway. The little MF still managed to outrun me, I have been in the front seat of a bus and swearing the whole time that this guy would never get a license in the US. My wife just sat there and patted my chest the whole way saying \"your heart, your heart\". I aged 10 years in one trip.

Wayne   ;D ;D
Wayne  ;D ;D