Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: \"skimming\" interior walls  (Read 5771 times)

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
\"skimming\" interior walls
« on: October 09, 2009, 05:57:22 AM »
Well we call it \"skimming\" , but maybe some call it plastering, but I would like to hire someone to \"skim\" the interior of our block-built house over there. The walls inside the house are still just the basic block and cement look, that I personnally think spoils the inside look. As I\'m a landscape gardener, and not really up-to-date with how a professional would go about this job. I just want the inside walls to be smoothed off, instead of the grubby look of the blocks. What kind of sand do they use for this job, as most of the sand I\'ve seen is quite rough and can\'t see how it could be made into the smooth finish I would be looking for ? I\'ve seen houses that have the finish I\'m looking for, but finding someone to do the job in the province kind of worries me. Any tips / warnings ??

Jonny

PS,... My wife has said I can go over again in a few months time to organise and over-see these jobs by myself  !!! wow !!
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

Offline Braddo

• Sr Member
Re: \"skimming\" interior walls
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 06:14:45 AM »
Hi Johny, We call it solid plastering in Aussie land in the RP they use builders sand  ( fine Sieved sand ) and cement and flick it on the walls then trowel it smooth comes up looking good and is normally strong as the cement to sand ratio is high.
Only problem is when you try to hang pictures or simular drill a hole first don\'t bang a nail straight into the wall as the plaster has a tendancy to fall off in large chunks as i found out and had to get the guy back to fix. Most middle class homes are done this way so you should have no problem getting it done.

Braddo

c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 10:55:07 AM »
Also known as \"finish plastering\"

1. Find your potential plasterers
2. Ask to see examples of their recent work

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 11:50:50 AM »
The \"finishing mix\" over hollow block walls, is one part cement and two parts fine SCREENED sand, the same sand that\'s used for making concrete. Save the tailing from screening and add to any concrete work later.

If the workers DO NOT use string lines to go by, you WILL NOT get an even coat, PERIOD!!!

BTW, I have as YET, seen a \"smooth\" finish applied by Pinoys, wavy at best! I\'ve only seen ONE of many, hollow block houses built, that the house was even close to being square or plumb and that, (one), foreigner was on location daily for a year and didn\'t even try for a \"smooth\" finish.

Pinoy logic, they will make up the difference, (defects), with the finishing coat, (thick and thin)...........maybe?

What is called here as a \"termite finish\" is a bit bumpy, (applied and knocked down), but covers ALL defects and believe me, they are there, on the hollow block walls, inside and out so the eye doesn\'t see the defects, (by most foreign standards LOL).

Just don\'t look at walls head on. Look from one end to the other and you will see what I\'m talking about in the majority of cases!!

Once painted, a termite finish is nice, if it\'s properly applied.

I hope your not dreaming of USA/UK workmenship?

BTW, I\'ve, over time, has sent more then a dozen Pinoys down the road kicking rocks because, they couldn\'t do, what they said they could, before finding a pair that could and have over the last few years working for us off and on!

There are GOOD Pinoy workers, even craftmen, no question about that!  You just have to weed through many to find them.
B-Ray   

Offline chuwachi

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 09:28:35 PM »
I had it in mind to send in a pallet full of Thistle Multi-Finish from the UK and ask my plasterer friend if he\'d like a holiday in the Philippines!
Don\'t know what they use here in Oz but it\'s not a real smooth finish like UK plaster, I guess it\'s a little like the finish in the RP but softer.
Our place in RP has had the exterior finished with (I think this is correct) a mix of pure cement and Sahara as an added waterproofer, it\'s come pretty much as smooth as Multi-Finish. The inside is like a UK smoothish exterior render mix, why they did the outside so smooth and the inside in a render finish I\'ll never know! At least they did use string lines and it\'s pretty straight (for the RP that is).
But then why did I end up with a truck/car pit in my parking area, an extra concrete terrace for my brother-in law to keep his chickens on, an outside toilet by the road side, a concrete staircase which I said not to build, re-bar in place for a balcony I\'d said not to do and a waste of 2x 100mtr rolls of twin and earth cable that I said I\'d install as a ring main!
Man it\'s easy to get pee\'d off when these things happen, especially when I\'ve explained it to them several times and also had my wife say it to them in Balangao and Ilocano!

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 10:14:17 PM »
Rip it out, take a pick axe or similar and show them what you want done, if you are not there to tell them what you want on a daily basis, you will end up with what other family members want at the time, what the builder felt like on that particular day and a justification for the need of whatever was done as you obviously don\'t know what you\'re doing your not Filippino or there to supervise at the time.

Wayne   ;D ;D
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 10:32:18 PM »
BTW, I\'ve, over time, has sent more then a dozen Pinoys down the road kicking rocks because, they couldn\'t do, what they said they could, before finding a pair that could and have over the last few years working for us off and on!

There are GOOD Pinoy workers, even craftmen, no question about that!  You just have to weed through many to find them.
B-Ray   

I think that may be due to no standardized testing requirements to professionally pick up a trade. Go to many Hair salons, go to wood crafters, go to painters - what exam did they pass to become professional in their trade? Many will have no formal training or certifications - which is probably the nature of a 3rd world country...

Once they do put such standardized certifications in place.... along with across the board smoothing out of irregularities in the whole \"system\" in general we can have cookie cutter jobs performed where we know EXACTLY what we will get before it starts...

That would be really good... when it comes to work being done on MY house... but when i think about it ... if that all were possible - it would probably no longer qualify as a 3rd world country  ;D
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline chuwachi

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 11:19:59 PM »
Rip it out, take a pick axe or similar and show them what you want done, if you are not there to tell them what you want on a daily basis, you will end up with what other family members want at the time, what the builder felt like on that particular day and a justification for the need of whatever was done as you obviously don\'t know what you\'re doing your not Filippino or there to supervise at the time.

Wayne   ;D ;D

Just unfortunate that I was unable to be there when a lot of the work was done, and the err \'Builder\' is my wife\'s sisters husband, a qualified \'Architectural Engineer\'
I know what I\'m doing (\'as you obviously don\'t know what you\'re doing your not Filippino\') :-\\ and what I want done, and I expressed it several times by way of drawing, written and verbal instruction but still no joy at all, bollocks....
I eventually stopped all work until I get a chance to spend a few months out there and can supervise and/or do the necessary myself.
Hell, I don\'t even want to mention the disaster that the roof became! I\'m having to strip it off and replace all the sheet and also re-weld the trusses, >:( and that\'s just the start of it!

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 07:14:22 AM »
I think the reference was taken out of context. The reference was meant to infer that others did their own deciding of what was best for your house \"as you did not know what was best for yourself, being that you are not Pinoy.\" I have found many times that family members decide for me in my absence what I want, regardless of what I have told them. Now I have my Bakarda check up on the house regularly, the family knows these guys are allowed in whenever they want. If something is being done in my house that I did not authorise or permit, it gets back to me, then the family gets to explain why they have been doing things not according to my wishes.

Wayne   ;D ;D
Wayne  ;D ;D

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 03:22:34 PM »
I see/read what goes on with Pinoys building ISN\'T to foreign standards in the mass majority within the field of work!!

What I have found with dealing with Pinoy built for Pinoys housing, needing MUCH repairs, some without windows and not lived in for years is:

They haven\'t fallen down or come part in some 20 years.

Granted, if your spending multi-million pesos to get that dream house built, you want what you want, PERIOD!!

But, Pinoy workers don\'t see things that way! 

There are Pinoys that can/do put out quality workmenship! But their not the run of the mill workers, no matter which building contractor you use!! To get quality work, might be like 1 out of 20 Pinoys, if that?

The BIGGEST problem, (as reported), might be using her family members! IE: Pinoy logic, your a foreigner a far, your RICH and you are now a family member.........no problems! Some will put the screw on at every chance they can get! That YOU gotta figure out!!! 

Understand, (key word), the Pinoy mentality in general.  Only today, no foresight/concern for later! That has been ~~life~~ for generations in this Country!

My wife is reading this and says, \"RIGHT ON\"!!! I wonder where she picked up that say\'n, (not Pinoy common)??? LMAO
B-Ray

Offline chuwachi

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 06:51:45 PM »
I think the reference was taken out of context. The reference was meant to infer that others did their own deciding of what was best for your house \"as you did not know what was best for yourself, being that you are not Pinoy.\" I have found many times that family members decide for me in my absence what I want, regardless of what I have told them. Now I have my Bakarda check up on the house regularly, the family knows these guys are allowed in whenever they want. If something is being done in my house that I did not authorise or permit, it gets back to me, then the family gets to explain why they have been doing things not according to my wishes.

Wayne   ;D ;D

Ok no worries Wayne, wasn\'t sure if you were shooting me down or what, Tora Tora Tora!

I really wish I\'d not started building the damned thing in the first place, but it\'s more than 1/3rd complete, as in the shell and roof are done (of a fashion), the ground floor is 90% but the other two floors have no dividing walls as yet. I will have to make a decision as to what we will do with the place in the future. Had ideas of making a B&B, or alternatively making the other two floors as flats. We have a good view of the South China Sea, although it\'s a wee way off when viewing it from Baguio! But anyway we have a sea view that can\'t ever be blocked due to our location, and that in its self is pretty cool...
About Pinoy mentality, well it seems whatever I own is fair game for some of them to use, so I got one of the brother in law\'s to take total contol of our stuff. Luckily he\'s 100% straight and has laid the law down: No more building without my consent, no borrowing of the cement mixer and hand tools etc for yet another job I never see a return on, no borrowing the pajero for another trip to the province for some obscure reason, the list is endless but my money isn\'t!
I will be very happy to live in our place when it\'s finished, but I can see it\'s going to be a struggle to get to that point. For sure either my wife or I will be supervising whatever we have done next.
I think I may have gone a little over the top in installing PVC windows (had to buy the equipment to manufacture them) but after all it\'s going to be my home for a long time, so we need some of the creature comforts we\'re used to.

6 Mil and counting....

Offline chuwachi

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 06:53:24 PM »
This was a thread about Skimming and not Scamming wasn\'t it ?!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 06:03:44 AM »
This was a thread about Skimming and not Scamming wasn\'t it ?!

Yes, you\'re correct.  Please forgive our anxious members.  Some are so quick to post they forget what the original question was.  Including me, at times!   ;D ;D ;D

Folks, let\'s remember this topic is about skimming walls.  Scamming builders can become a new topic.
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 06:27:43 AM »
Skimming, scamming... it\'s close ;)
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 05:47:53 PM »
Hope to have skimmed my last wall a week before i get on the plane....20 years is 20 years too long in the drywall contracting business ;D

But if you need a hand......I am sure someone will be along shortly to help, i have developed a serious allergy to walls  :D