Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Barangay Urbiztondo, San Juan, La Union or \"Seabay Beach\"  (Read 2856 times)

Offline ricemannv

• Sr Member
Barangay Urbiztondo, San Juan, La Union or \"Seabay Beach\"
« on: August 24, 2009, 08:41:21 AM »
I spent the holiday weekend with my family at one of my favorite places in the whole world.  It is in Barangay Urbiztondo, San Juan, La Union and often referred to as \"Seabay Beach\".  Unfortunately there were no waves for me and the crew, but we still had fun at the beach.  I love this place. 

There is a beautiful right point break and when it is on it is reminiscent of Malibu.  On the other end of the beach is a left hand reef break that is just fantastic on a south swell.  In between both of these breaks is a beach break that favors left slides and is ideal for beginner to intermediate surfers.  Nestled along the shore are numerous family operated resorts catering to surfers and low budget travelers.  Nicer/more expensive accomidation is available in the provincial capital of San Fernando, La Union which is just a short drive away from this spot. 

The locals are super cool.  Many live in Nipa huts and other cheap digs all around the break forming perhaps one of the friendliest surf ghettos in the world.  You wont find any of the aggressive and protective surf Nazi-ism so prevelant in California and Hawaiian surf spots here.  Many locals earn money giving surf lessons to mostly youngsters and the young at heart who come to this spot from urban Manila to enjoy the beach life.  You can rent surfboards cheaply here.

The place has a atmosphere and vibe about it that is magical.

Riceman

Offline ricemannv

• Sr Member
Re: Barangay Urbiztondo, San Juan, La Union or \"Seabay Beach\"
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 06:58:10 AM »
Upscale Manilanas enjoying the beach in the early morning, before it gets to hot and starts to turn their skin dark.  ;)  :D

Riceman

Offline princess417

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 01:58:55 PM »
OMG! Me and my friends were just there last Nov 29. They had the 5th Surf Break festival. I tell you, it was the best place I’ve been to! Let me see if I can post some pictures when I get home. (Currently killing myself with boredom here at the office)

We had a blast! If you would like to catch on some waves, mid November and early December would be the perfect time. I did try surfing………… I miserably failed ? even the surfing instructor got frustrated. Hehehhehe I think I ended his career. LMAO

I will surely be back next year! And if work permits… I would really want to see San Juan and San Fernando La Union before the year ends.

Offline couphal

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 08:50:55 PM »
the first picture views looks like taken right in front of la union surf camp, Luke Landrigan\'s place, my cousin. we were there too, princess. we stayed at lola nanny\'s, my aunt and Luke\'s mom. My son and I tried to learn how to surf but the waves were not for beginners and there was too much people. Luke advised i go there on a weekday. if i just had a day off then i\'d rather go diving in anilao for short drive. hehehe.