Author Topic: Our Novaliches Project  (Read 14061 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Our Novaliches Project
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
I\'m not there right now so I haven\'t bought one yet.  Ronnel says he wants to finish the topside a bit more before buying any additional appliances.  So this week they\'re applying a finish coat of stucco to the inside of the rooftop terrace.  Then they\'ll paint that as well. 

We\'ll probably wait until I\'m there so I can be the one to shop for the proper sized backup generator.  It will have to be large enough capacity to run not just lights and fans, but also the commercial sized ref for the store.  I will house it on the rooftop for proper ventilation of exhaust fumes.  I\'ve found several stores who carry them, based on company website info, but that don\'t mean crap.  So I\'ll have to drive to a couple of places to compare prices and specs.  We have two large malls close to the house, Robinson\'s and SM Fairview.  They both have large hardware stores (Handy Man, Ace) who carry generators.  I\'ll just have to wait and see in September.
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2011, 06:31:11 AM »
I\'ve found several stores who carry them, based on company website info, but that don\'t mean crap.  So I\'ll have to drive to a couple of places to compare prices and specs.  We have two large malls close to the house, Robinson\'s and SM Fairview.  They both have large hardware stores (Handy Man, Ace) who carry generators.  I\'ll just have to wait and see in September.

If you have time to shop around for the gennie (or if you can get family members to \"canvas\" for you) you should be able to save some money. Recently I got a local plumber to install a 1HP water pressure tank with pump. The price in Handyman and Citi Hardware was around 15K pesos, but the plumber was able to get the same item in a small hardware shop he knows, for 12K pesos. I expect there is a similar price difference with generators and switchgear if you know where to look.

Richard

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2011, 04:36:30 PM »
A few weeks ago, I bought a 3200W gen. Ace had it for just under P21K but I shopped around 1st and found the exact duplicate of it at an agricultural supply store. They said if I will pay cash, they will sell it to me for P17K. I said, \"DEAL\"! Of course there are places who will try to take advantage of a \"Naive Foreigner\". The place I went to before the Agri supply wanted P35k for a 2.5KW. Shop around. Deals won\'t magically appear on your doorstep. Deals are there if you take some time and look for them. God Bless....
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 02:28:05 AM »
Key phrase  --  \"shop around\"   Roger that!    :D   I\'ll also take along my brother in law and father in law.  The three of us will shop for the best generator for the best price.  A 3200w would probably be just about right, but I\'ll check out the load on the circuit beforehand so we know what to shoot above.   I\'d rather buy a slightly larger one and not run it to max capacity, keeping in mind the fuel efficiency, etc.

Does anyone know of a rule of thumb for a backup generator?   We\'ll be running 2 refs, a half-dozen fans and lighting for a 5 bedroom house and sari-sari.   ;)   ;D   

I gotta do some additional research on solar panels and wind generators.  There must be a way to supplement our existing system, even in north Metro Manila.  We\'re located on top of a hill and there is always a breeze \"up top\". 

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2011, 09:35:18 PM »
A 3200w would probably be just about right, but I\'ll check out the load on the circuit beforehand so we know what to shoot above.   I\'d rather buy a slightly larger one and not run it to max capacity, keeping in mind the fuel efficiency, etc.

Does anyone know of a rule of thumb for a backup generator?   We\'ll be running 2 refs, a half-dozen fans and lighting for a 5 bedroom house and sari-sari.

Jack,

A 3200w seems to be a bit light for a 5 bedroom house.  We have a 3 bedroom-2 bath. Most of the rooms use a circulating fan, there are also 3 ceiling fans, a full size ref in the house, a medium sized ref in the sari-sari.  We have one Air Conditioner in our bedroom, and also installed an electric water pump to pump water into our 400 liter water storage tank.  Our generator can handle those things, but you can hear it load up when the water pump turns on while the air conditioner is on.  You might want to go a size larger just in case you decide to add some addtional electrical loads in the future (electric water heaters, air conditioners, additional freezers/refrigerators, etc...). 

I paid p67,000 for our generator in Cebu, and it has never let us down....and in Leyte, there are quite a few planned and unplanned brown outs...lol.  One thing you should look for is fuel capacity.  Our generator uses gasoline and has about a 3 gallon tank.  It will run at full load for about 4 hours before it needs a refill.  If possible, get a system that can run for 6 or so hours on a tank of fuel...and also think bout the noise concerns.  If I had to do it all over again, I would have put the money out for a 8,000w diesel powered generator and not have any worries about fuel.  I would have also looked for something with an electric start.  My wife is a bit on the petite size, and the father-in-law isn\'t much bigger...so when I\'m not around they have to find someone to pull start the gen.

Just simple hints from someone thats been there.

Take care my friend.

Greg
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2011, 05:01:14 AM »
As posted elsewhere on the Forum, I\'ll be leaving next Tuesday 9/13 for the Philippines.  The house has been completed inside and out but rather than depend on the low resolution images from my bro-in-law\'s cell phone, I\'ll be taking my own pics next week with a real camera.  I\'ll post updated photos of the complete structure as soon as I can load them up on the computer. 

My Tatay commented last night on the new bahay kubo just completed on the rooftop terrace.  He says he\'s going to simply \"move in\" and make that his new home!  Hahahaha!  He\'s a funny guy.  But it gives me hope that they built what I asked for, a bahay kubo large enough for me and my big belly.   ;D

Stay tuned for updates!

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2011, 10:02:46 AM »

Jack,

A 3200w seems to be a bit light for a 5 bedroom house.  We have a 3 bedroom-2 bath. Most of the rooms use a circulating fan, there are also 3 ceiling fans, a full size ref in the house, a medium sized ref in the sari-sari.  We have one Air Conditioner in our bedroom, and also installed an electric water pump to pump water into our 400 liter water storage tank.  Our generator can handle those things, but you can hear it load up when the water pump turns on while the air conditioner is on.  You might want to go a size larger just in case you decide to add some addtional electrical loads in the future (electric water heaters, air conditioners, additional freezers/refrigerators, etc...).  

I paid p67,000 for our generator in Cebu, and it has never let us down....and in Leyte, there are quite a few planned and unplanned brown outs...lol.  One thing you should look for is fuel capacity.  Our generator uses gasoline and has about a 3 gallon tank.  It will run at full load for about 4 hours before it needs a refill.  If possible, get a system that can run for 6 or so hours on a tank of fuel...and also think bout the noise concerns.  If I had to do it all over again, I would have put the money out for a 8,000w diesel powered generator and not have any worries about fuel.  I would have also looked for something with an electric start.  My wife is a bit on the petite size, and the father-in-law isn\'t much bigger...so when I\'m not around they have to find someone to pull start the gen.

Just simple hints from someone thats been there.

Take care my friend.

Greg

Greg,

A friend of mine lives up near La Union. He has a diesel industrial genset that
he had to run for 1 month continuous, due to last typhoon damage to the grid.
He has a large capacity auxiliary tank that sits above the fuel pump and gravity feeds
to the pump.

Maybe that\'s the way for you to go if it\'s feasible?? Don\'t know about Gasoline tho\',
wouldn\'t put the auxiliary tank in the sunlight due to expansion/contraction element.

Jack,

I\'m inclined to go along with Greg with regards to the size of the proposed Genset.
Not less than 5.5Kw output under load would be my recommendation.

Graham

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2011, 12:38:28 AM »
Graham,

Thanks for the suggestion on the gravity fed auxiliary tank.  Since we would be powering the sari-sari as well as the house, we would definitely require a larger output genset to power the 2 refs and extra lights, fans and other necessities.  I prefer diesel as well.  Slightly cheaper to operate and diesels generally last much longer than gasoline engines.

Less than 24 hours from wheels up!  Look out boys, here I come!    ;D ;D ;D

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2011, 01:49:10 AM »
Graham,

Thanks for the suggestion on the gravity fed auxiliary tank.  Since we would be powering the sari-sari as well as the house, we would definitely require a larger output genset to power the 2 refs and extra lights, fans and other necessities.  I prefer diesel as well.  Slightly cheaper to operate and diesels generally last much longer than gasoline engines.

Less than 24 hours from wheels up!  Look out boys, here I come!    ;D ;D ;D
Are you gonna visit Bacolod City?
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2011, 03:52:51 AM »
Are you gonna visit Bacolod City?

Hi Steve,

No, but I will be in Cebu City the first week of October visiting with Don Herrington, Billy, maybe Johnny, if we can connect when he\'s there and any others willing to come there to say \"Howdy!\".   :)

Once I get boots on the ground in Manila, I\'ll let everyone know here on the Forum.  If you want to send me an email or send me your cell number by PM, I\'ll be glad to give you (or anyone) more specific info.  I will be in Cebu along with my wife Gloria and my Mom from here in Kentucky.  I\'m sure we can find a time and place to meet up with everyone.  Maybe we can take over a nice resto in Cebu for a few hours!  That would be fun!

Anyone interested in a dinner meeting one night while we\'re there, contact me thru the Forum, email or by PM and I\'ll set up something for all of us. 

Now, just to let everyone know right now, I won\'t be there in Cebu for more than a few days.  Our family will be waiting for us to return to Manila.  But I would like to set up a meet and greet in Cebu for anyone interested in seeing if I\'m half as big an a-hole in person as I seem online.   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  I promise one and all, you\'ll be pleasantly surprised to find that I\'m actually a genuinely nice guy.  See you there!   :)