Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Average per sq/meter cost to build your house  (Read 7014 times)

Offline rdjlazo@yahoo.com

• Sr Member
Average per sq/meter cost to build your house
« on: October 13, 2009, 06:55:50 AM »
This is one of the best way to compare cost of construction when building your house. Of course you can be off a bit
depending on what kind of finish you put on your floor, kitchen, roofing and others. But when it comes to
do it your self or architect built then maybe you base apple to apple by comparing houses built by
architects.
Have any body built one without  an architect? I did that with the help a knowledgeable builder
and I saved a lot. I did a lot of gestimating at the start though sometime I feel like a ten year old arguing with a 30 year old guy
before i get comfortable with it. This is because at that time I dont know much about construction
and costing the materials and labor.
Another thing I learned is i talked to construction material suppliers asking them who are the good
plumbers, electrician, carpenters etc. I also learned the basic info on how much i need to build this sq meters of a house.
In Quezon City area I was told medium quality house will cost me 8,000 t0 10,000 per sq meter. I imagine it
should be much lower in  areas away from the big cities. I think here is where comparing ideas on
this board can be a big help to many of us. RDJLAZO

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
Re: Average per sq/meter cost to build your house
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 12:32:32 PM »
THIS THREAD HAS NOT BEGUN UNTIL WE HEAR FROM BOOMERANG !!

;D
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 01:16:02 PM »
I would also look at other factors when trying to figure out a sqm cost of building in the Philippines. 

I\'m not sure what architects use for seismic standards in the Philippines, but I would venture to say that the possiblities of a massive quake there are still pretty great, and with the construction I have seen there (I would never use less than 10mm rebar re-inforcement in CMU work), I would be very concerned about any earthquake over 5 on the richter scale.

When we build our next house, I will be building to a very high seismic standard, so that the house we are in has a better chance of surviving...along with its inhabitants! :D  That alone will increase the cost of construction (reinforcements, quality of cement, etc.) to a higher cost than \"common\" construction in the Philippines.

Here are two links to better information. I figure that putting money into a home in an area that is overloaded with volcanos, earthquakes and floods, you should be prepared and read up as much as possible before you start.

But then again, that just my honest opinion... 8)

http://www.cement.org/homes/brief10.asp

http://www.wbdg.org/resources/seismic_design.php
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 12:28:04 PM »
The problems arise when people try to cut corners by using unqualified designers/builders who have friends in the planning office prepared to turn a blind eye to irregularities.

Colin,

I couldn\'t agree more with you on that statement. Its much better to pay a little extra and know that you are getting quality rather than to cut corners. Still, the later is the norm for most people building in the Philippines.
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 10:39:21 PM »
I have seen many inexpensive homes made with thin paneling for the walls that separate the rooms  and also used for ceilings in even some expensive homes we looked at. I would bet that those homes have high cooling costs, if they do not have good insulation, and what was worse is that I could hear every word said in the adjacent rooms.  :o IMO Paying a little extra is always better at the start than having to redo things later on.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 08:44:17 AM »
If things continue as they have for the first part of our construction project in Novaliches, our cost will come out to around 1500pesos per sqm.   ;D   As I said in my topic \"Our Novaliches Project\" this would not be the average expats cup of tea, but so far our family is tickled pink!   ;D ;D

You get what you pay for is certainly true, and I plan to spend a lot more for our house. 

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Sofie2

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 11:39:08 AM »
Sorry, I am not good in math al all....If the average cost is 1500 pesos in Novaliches, I am assuming its cheaper in Neg. Occ.? So, to build a 100 sq meter house, it would cost 150,000 pesos? My dad told me that is just the cost of the roof (unfinish).

Please help? I just want to know how much it will cost before I send the $.

Thanks
Sofie

Offline abw

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 12:45:14 PM »
Sorry, I am not good in math al all....If the average cost is 1500 pesos in Novaliches, I am assuming its cheaper in Neg. Occ.? So, to build a 100 sq meter house, it would cost 150,000 pesos? My dad told me that is just the cost of the roof (unfinish).

Please help? I just want to know how much it will cost before I send the $.

Thanks
Sofie

Maybe I can help here.

Your Dad is correct; P150,000 would only pay for the roof. The budget really depends on the quality of the materials and fittings. So for a basic Filipino house of 100 sqm, with gi sheets and coco lumber for the roof, unfinished walls, and marine ply dividing the rooms, you may end up paying say P300,000-P500,000 total. If you want a medium finished house, including, CHBs/cement, steel trusses, false guttering, internal bathroom etc, then you\'d be looking at maybe P700,000 to P1,200,000. Use a contractor and you\'re probably looking at P2 mil+.

Hope that answered your question?

Andrew

Offline Sofie2

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 08:00:58 AM »
Thanks Andrew and Colin,

My Dad was a good carpenter when he was young, built a lot of houses but he is now 86 and 90% blind and thinks that he can run this project, its hard to argue with him because he says he knows what he\'s doing but I\'m worried. I work for a plumbing company (wholesaler) so I will be supplying the bathroom and kitchen fixtures from here. I also sent them a set of Milwaukee tools to use. They will start the layout today.

Sofie