Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: In Memory of Murf  (Read 33506 times)

Offline jryals

Re: In Memory of Murf
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2009, 12:22:31 AM »
From our faimly our deepest sympathy to you and your faimly He will be missed.

Jerry Ryals and Faimly
Life can be full of happiness if YOU let it in

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2009, 11:29:47 AM »
 Murf\'s Interment:

hey everybody out there, i just want you to know all that we will bury him (murf) this coming saturday (nov.7) at 11 am in the morning.
  it should be my birthday on nov.4 and our 5 years wedding anniversay on nov.11, but something terribly happened..

well guys, thank you for remembering murf as a great man...

Jennifer Murphy

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
Jennifer,.. thanks for letting us all know.
I hope you will find time in the future to log onto this site from time to time, just to let us know you and your family are all ok.
Would be nice to see Murf\'s icon coming up on the screen every now and then , just to remind us .......

Jonny
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

Offline Robin

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2009, 12:26:45 AM »
Jennifer, Laura and I are sorry to hear about Murf, we wish you the best.

Robin
Tigbauan, Iloilo,
Panay Island, Philippines
GPS Location: N 10  40.488  -  E 122  23.235

Offline Cuenca_ammer

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2009, 02:37:34 AM »
Jennifer,.. thanks for letting us all know.
I hope you will find time in the future to log onto this site from time to time, just to let us know you and your family are all ok.
Would be nice to see Murf\'s icon coming up on the screen every now and then , just to remind us .......

Jonny

Being a noob I was running through some older posts the other day relating to this and that and of course came across many postings and musings from the Murph.

Then realising that we won\'t be seeing the avatar any more was a very disappointing thought. His tag line though summed him up I guess, not knowing the man personally...

\"My beer, my way\"

:D

Best thoughts go out to the family. Like many on here, religion doesn\'t play much part in my life, but for those for whom it does,  I hope that they may find much needed comfort there...

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2009, 05:53:10 AM »
Thank you Jennifer for the info about the funeral.  I am way too far away to attend in body but my spirit will be there.

Yes, it\'s unfortunate that this happened at the time of your birthday and anniversary but death is unfortunate in itself.  I hope that someday you can celebrate your birthday and your anniversary with all your fond memories of the \"Murf\".  

I\'m also going to take this opportunity to thank you for taking such good care of him.  He wrote often of how much he loved you and how good you were to him.  Thanks for being that special lady for him.

I pray the Lord that He be with you and your family.  Not only now but always.

Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

revaddict

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2009, 09:35:54 PM »
I do more lurking than posting here, and I haven\'t gotten to know people here as well as I hope to, but I\'d like to add my sympathy to that which has already been expressed for Jennifer and those who were close to Murf.  My thoughts are with you.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2009, 04:15:58 AM »
Jennifer,

Kapatid, your ate Gloria and I express our sincere condolences to you and your family.  May you find comfort in the knowledge that brother Murf is now at peace and no longer suffering.
May you also find comfort in the knowledge that Murf was a brother to us all and we will always have a place for you here on our Forum.  

Please, as time allows, drop us all a note and let us know how things are going and if there is anything you need assistance with.  We will do all we can to assist you in receiving whatever is due you in the way of pension funds so that you may continue the life you and our friend Murf started in his little \"rumble in the jungle\".  

Keep in touch, kapatid!  God Bless!

Kuya Jack and Ate Gloria  
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2009, 05:21:03 AM »
Jennifer,

Deepest condolences from Noreen and myself. I had many discussions with Gene on many occasions and thought of him as a big brother I never had. He will be missed on the forum, but he will be in our hearts always.

I know that he would want me to follow up on areas we had discussed and I am continuing in that effort. It only that reason that I have not posted earlier. I will touch base with you and the girls later, as I know you are busy at the moment.

Each here on the forum has their own peculiarities, and murph was the leader of the pack, I will miss our one sided skype calls, where he did most of the talking. You can always get me on skype if you want a chat Jen.

Best regards from Wayne and Noreen.

To my brother Murf, you will be missed and I know already you are starting a forum in heaven.

Wayne and Noreen Coutts
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline clevelda

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2009, 09:09:32 AM »
I have not been a regular contributor after the big breakdown last month and knew that Murf was in dire straits in the last few weeks, but always seems hard when the reality settles in and you discover that Murf will no longer be typing out his opinions on this forum any longer.  

I recall his rantings on some listings and then the heartfelt devotions to his beautiful wife and family.  Or, the pictures of his house and how proud he was of it.  And in the end, how he related about Jennifer constantly being by his side supporting him during his waning hours.

I will certainly miss his wryish wit and open opinions of matters that might be on his mind at the time.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family at this time.  

There may be a long of contributors on this forum, but there will only be one Murf.  He may be gone, but at least his thoughts & writings remain.

Bounder...  

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2009, 11:52:14 AM »
I had a long call with Jennifer today. She is trying to cope and doing it very well between sobs. Her man was everything in her life and as we all know she was everything to him. There is some problems for her with regard to his pension, maybe some of our members with knowledge of how the Marine Pension works could forward me an email or send it to jack and we will forward it to her.

She is now the surviving spouse, how much is she entitled to etc. How does she apply for it, how long does it take to come through? Is there a death benefit etc. I asked her to call the US Embassy in Manila when all is done maybe Monday of next week, she has not received any money recently and they are a little strung out for cash.

Also she was not on Murfs pension account as a joint signer, so cannot access the money even if it were there.

I need you guys to put your heads together so we can help Jennifer in her time of need.

Anyone have any ideas?

Wayne    :( :(
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2009, 12:11:49 PM »
Anyone have any ideas?

Hopefully she has his ATM card pin number. Then she can remove the funds from ATM machines usually around P20k to P40k each day.

Another option MIGHT be to use PAYPAL.COM to take the funds from his bank card - if its tied to a checking account.

Others probably have better ideas - but thats all I can come up with to meet needs instantly with no paperwork or waiting.
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2009, 12:13:56 PM »
Problem is the account was in his name only and he would go to the branch to withdraw the funds. As far as I could glean from Jennifer, he did not put her on the account.

Wayne   :( :(
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline imtheredrum

• Sr Member
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2009, 05:52:51 PM »
If that is Murf\'s auto deposit check from the Govt.... there is no ATM.... that would be in US dollars and there is no ATM... funds have to be transferred in the bank to the ATM account... but a Death Certificate and marrage certificate should open the account for her.
..                                \ \ \ | / / /
..                                  ( @ @~)
Jeff & Ritz  -----o00o-(. .)-o00o-----

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2009, 08:00:23 PM »
Maybe these pages might help

http://www.military.com/benefits/burial-and-memorial/veterans-death-pension

http://www.military.com/benefits/burial-and-memorial

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha013.html

I hope that in all this sadness that it will get other members thinking and planning ahead.  I hope Jennifer will be able to work through all the red tape. If there is anyone living close by, I think a US citizen will be able to get things done easier with her than her alone.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.