Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: More Electricity Questions  (Read 1523 times)


  • Guest
More Electricity Questions
« on: November 01, 2009, 04:05:30 AM »
I guess a grounded electrical system, you must use a three wire system. one hot, one cold and the ground(ONE END TO OUTLET PLUG AND OTHER CONNECTED TO GROUND BAR AT BREAKER BOX).

Do they sell USA type breaker boxes in Philippines? If so how much trouble is it obtaining 3 wire configuration?

The grounding in my home was done by connecting to water pipe (I Think). How is this done there?

I realize I am asking a lot of questions but my old grand dad told me the only dumb question is the one not asked. Plus I am trying my best to be prepared for picking the right contractor.

Any good suggestions for building, elrctrical, plumbing contractors in the Bulacan area.....

Offline RUFUS

  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 2,225
Re: More Electricity Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 05:08:34 AM »
The third wire ground will not be of much use there . The vast majority of devices in the RP come out of the box with a 2 pin plug. If you are worried about getting shocked from your existing/future wiring, just make sure that the neutral wiring has a good grounded connection. Electricity will naturally use the path of least resistance and if your connections in your wiring system are not good, you will become a path.

Offline graham

  • Sr Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 628
Re: More Electricity Questions
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 06:45:42 PM »

I just had my house re-wired with all the power outlets running an earth wire. You will need that, especially in the wet areas. The earthing rod is made up of, I believe. 2 metals, and is 5 meters in length, buried vertically. Don\'t use water pipe unless it has a very long run. Most water pipes here are only minimally buried and will not give you a good earth. Check out the archives. There were several very good posts by an electrician about 12-18 months ago.

A lot of major appliances, like my fridge, come with an attached earthing wire, so you can change the 2 pin plug to a 3 pin and include the earth wire. My a/con comes complete, 3 wires. You can buy 3 core extension cables for your electrical tools. Also, the most important device you can buy here, and it\'s only cheap, is an Earth Leakage Device. Make sure your electrician knows what that is BEFORE you hire him. I\'m not American, but I believe that the breaker box that I have fitted to my place is an American styled one.

Hope this helps