Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Paint in Cebu  (Read 3984 times)

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
Paint in Cebu
« on: November 01, 2009, 03:24:13 PM »
The tenant that has moved out of our place was a very heavy smoker. The walls and ceilings are brown. I don\'t think the painter my girl friend has found knows what he is doing because he just wants to paint over it with latex. So...

Does anyone know a good painter in Cebu city area? and Where can i find a good stain blocker primer to seal in nicotine and smell so Latex will cover nicely. Something like this http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=164

Thanks.

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
Re: Paint in Cebu
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 06:52:05 PM »
Wash walls, floor AND CEILING with 50/50 borax and water mix

Leave for 24 hours

Repeat

Should handle 90-95% of smells

Leave for 24+ hours before painting

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 02:38:21 AM »
SAME problem with one of your rentals.

My wife did the checking before returning the damage deposit. She didn\'t like the smell and didn\'t look up either. Real bad above the big ceiling fan in the LR!

Washing with laundry soap and rinsing with two Pinays, in two days, did the trick. No more smoke damage, (no repainting needed), and smell gone after washing the curtains and tiled floor also.

DO NOT try to paint over the smoke damage, PERIOD!!! At best it will discolor and worse peel and then a bigger problem.

If the paint was in good condition before, (depending on the brand of paint and age), it should clean up. BTW, our ceilings are white.†
B-Ray

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 04:13:59 AM »
Thanks guys will be acquiring some cleaners.

The paint on the concrete walls is in bad shape and pealing in places so it needs to be dealt with. I wish i was there to handle this as i wont be there for a few months. Since i am in the wall and ceiling business in North America(drywall) i would probably skim all the walls out to make smooth and have nice fresh walls. But i am unfamiliar with what products are available in PI.

I think i will Just hold off on work till i get there. The place can sit.
After all of this i think it will become a non smoking suite. We probably will do better to just have it as a bed and breakfast. People will just have to smoke outside.

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 04:29:53 PM »
Drywall is available here in Dumaguete and so is liquid nail if you like that stuff. Lots of different caulking also, some paintable some not.
B-Ray

Thanks guys will be acquiring some cleaners.

The paint on the concrete walls is in bad shape and pealing in places so it needs to be dealt with. I wish i was there to handle this as i wont be there for a few months. Since i am in the wall and ceiling business in North America(drywall) i would probably skim all the walls out to make smooth and have nice fresh walls. But i am unfamiliar with what products are available in PI.

I think i will Just hold off on work till i get there. The place can sit.
After all of this i think it will become a non smoking suite. We probably will do better to just have it as a bed and breakfast. People will just have to smoke outside.

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 12:07:51 PM »
So i could not find any stain sealer and the Asian rep in china said he could fly some out. I politely declined his very expensive offer. So not wanting to wait to ship it by boat we went ahead and scrubbed the walls, sanded them and painted out bedroom only and a small section over the the worst of the living room as a test. One week later it seems to be fine so i am hoping it will be OK to go ahead with the rest.

Also had the air conditioners cleaned and serviced. The guys did a good job removing them and taking them apart outside to clean. For 3 ac\'s it cost 1200p(insert your own smiley here)

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 12:15:22 PM »
Ive tried to find a decent stain block many times but to no avail.. In the UK we use gloss paint which is cheap and blocks everything..Here most stains goes right through local gloss paints and varnish..
The paint trade here is 50 years behind and many paint products are basically useless..
My opinion as a Brit decorator.

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 02:11:45 PM »
A good grade of Varnish, (boat builders use), and/or the \"Ready Fix\" product, (both about P1,000Ī per gal), works for us as a stain blocker here in the Philippines.

Forget the varnish that come in the pint size booze glass bottle, AVAILABLE EVERYWHERE.........JUNK!!!

BTW, buy ready made bamboo stuff, that\'s what it\'s coated with..........the CHEAP STUFF and one coat!! Do yourself a favor and re-coat over with some good stuff and it will last longer!
B-Ray†  

Ive tried to find a decent stain block many times but to no avail.. In the UK we use gloss paint which is cheap and blocks everything..Here most stains goes right through local gloss paints and varnish..
The paint trade here is 50 years behind and many paint products are basically useless..
My opinion as a Brit decorator.

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 12:39:38 PM »
^ Thats good to know B Ray ^

Would boat varnish work on the outside???? Thats our next project. The exterior walls are very exposed with little overhang and i think driving rain actually makes the concrete walls hold moisture. The supposed water seal on there now has had the biscuit.

I actually was thinking of this locally invented paint which i have an opportunity to distribute. http://www.entechcoatings.com/

It is made with ceramic and reflects heat extremely well which would be great for PI. They have products for both walls and roofs.

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 03:16:49 PM »
I\'ve been using the varnish to spot what didn\'t hold or on rusty nails/screws and repaint . We use that varnish on the bamboo outside of the studio apartment. But the sun does get to it. Keeping it looking spiffy, re-coated in like 18 months.

Sound like you have a product that would work great. Now find what it would take to get it here and the cost?† ;D

Not much overhang is a problem for sure! Not only for weather and paint, but heating of the walls also. I have extended the roofs on all our properties to the fence line for a covered walkway, then concreted the dirt.......no mud.
B-Ray

^ Thats good to know B Ray ^

Would boat varnish work on the outside???? Thats our next project. The exterior walls are very exposed with little overhang and i think driving rain actually makes the concrete walls hold moisture. The supposed water seal on there now has had the biscuit.

I actually was thinking of this locally invented paint which i have an opportunity to distribute. http://www.entechcoatings.com/

It is made with ceramic and reflects heat extremely well which would be great for PI. They have products for both walls and roofs.

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 04:06:27 PM »

Sound like you have a product that would work great. Now find what it would take to get it here and the cost? †;D

Yes i am hoping i can talk the Manufacture into supplying to use as demo house

I have extended the roofs on all our properties to the fence line for a covered walkway, then concreted the dirt.......no mud.

Good idea, i will have too look into that

Offline mi49085

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 09:00:42 AM »
Do they use latex base paint there?

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 10:52:26 AM »

Thats what we used on interior yes.

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 11:20:27 AM »
Both latex and oil based paints available in the Philippines.

Oil based paints has a harder surface and holds up better if you want to spend the extra for it.
B-Ray

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 11:49:51 PM »

Just be careful to not infringe on our rules about commercial posting.
http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php/topic,140.0.html
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH